Do you really think her support for the war on terror is sincere? It's an election thing. She hasn't commented much about the current debate about migration over the southern border either. She's almost surely trying to find out how to approach the issue in the most centrist way possible. She has been steadily moving toward the center ever since her election to the Senate. This is a smart move for her; it maximizes her chances I think.
The far left and the far right won't probably vote for her, but I think there are a lot of folks in the middle who might - and she's jockeying for that position. I think she can be beaten, but it won't be easy and it will almost have to be by either a woman or a minority. Or, in the case I think would give Hilary the hardest fight, both. But Dr. Rice may not run at all, so it will be interesting. Ugly and interesting. This is a good opportunity for a Democratic candidate no matter who it is, but I think it could come down to what the last election came down to: having a message that America can understand, and if you say you have a plan, please, tell us what it is. Kerry never articulated his position or his plan well last time around; the Republicans were successful in keeping him off message with the constant pressure on his military record and attacks on President Bush's National Guard experience never really got the kind of traction they needed for Kerry to gain enough ground back on him. Still and all, it was a very close election, as was the one previous and I don't doubt the next one may be very close as well.
A Republican president in '08 could cement the Supreme Court in conservative thought for the next 30 years. That's going to really affect law, business, privacy, law enforcement and a lot of other issues that mark your daily life. A Democratic President could have the opportunity to put some balance back there. That could become a campaign issue.