Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Poll

How many of them there e-comics do you peruse?

Just Achewood
- 5 (10.9%)
2-4
- 17 (37%)
4-6
- 11 (23.9%)
6-8
- 2 (4.3%)
8+
- 11 (23.9%)
None (I am only here for the social aspect of the messageboard)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45


Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Comics  (Read 16895 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Comics
« on: May 17, 2006, 04:55:06 pm »

Figured that one of these might be useful. I included the poll because I like polls. If there have been any previous threads, they weren't recent. So think of it as a sexy, sleek modern thread on comics.

Webcomics:
I myself read far too many, though I could say Achewood, Dr McNinja, Scarygoround, Concerned and the Perry Bible Fellowship as a top five. There are also other far more embarrassing ones which we won't go into.

Paper comics:
Pretty much just Calvin and Hobbes collections!

Strike me down with the pox if this is unnecessary. I've got my jabs.

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:24:44 pm »

You may only post a thread on this topic if you also tell us the embarassing ones.

CONFESS.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Comics
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:30:40 pm »

I read a redonkulous amount of webcomics, in addition to the Marvel addiction I maintain in the real world.  My webcomic habit includes, but is not limited to, Diesel Sweeties, Overcompensating, Goats, Dinosaur Comics, Dr. McNinja, A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible, Perfect Stars, Dresden Codak, Penny Arcade, PVP, The Magic Inkwell, Nine Planets Without Intelligent Life, Questionable Content, Something Positive, Cat And Girl, Order of the Stick, Starslip Crisis, Superosity, Sinfest, Natalie Dee, Toothpaste For Dinner, Ugly Hill, Hate Song... Yes I do have too much free time.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 05:34:53 pm by FlipConstantine »
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Comics
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 05:33:27 pm »

You may only post a thread on this topic if you also tell us the embarassing ones.

CONFESS.

Good use of your 2500th post!

Three examples: D&D based gamers comic (I don't play D&D, honest!), Metal Gear Solid thingy (don't play that, either), and VGcats.. I have nothing else to say, other than that they are all gamer comics. I feel dirty reading them, but like midget porn you can't help but want more.  ;D

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Comics
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 05:41:00 pm »

Good use of your 2500th post!

Three examples: D&D based gamers comic (I don't play D&D, honest!), Metal Gear Solid thingy (don't play that, either), and VGcats.. I have nothing else to say, other than that they are all gamer comics. I feel dirty reading them, but like midget porn you can't help but want more.  ;D



You're not the only GITP reader around here.  I know of at least 2 others beside myself.

Yes to most things already mentioned except I cannot, for the life of me, stand PVP.  I just can't. 

Does explodingdog count?  Because that site is the thing off of which they based the concept of treasure, such is it's magnificence.  Speaking of which... time to burn an hour over there.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Comics
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 05:54:07 pm »

Yes to most things already mentioned except I cannot, for the life of me, stand PVP.  I just can't. 

I too think it's terrible. I hate the character design immensely, I don't find many of the jokes even slightly funny, yet many in the business love it. It just seems the equivalent of the stereotypical long-running sitcom everyone loves but just seems tired compared to the new, better guys.

On the subject of webcomics we can't stand, Questionable Content not only has a self-proclaimed 'hipster' as an author but just seems so perfectly modelled for 'hip' people. Ie. lots of crappy irony, really heavy use of obscure band humour, childish humour, fuck*ng COFFEE CULTURE, etc. It just all combines into some horrible webcomic equivalent of Friends, as made by the guy who did Garden State.

But if you like it, don't let my whining annoy you! I really have no worth with my opinions, and if you like it, that's cool. (That last statement was basically for protection just in case, like a condom)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Comics
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 06:01:43 pm »

On the subject of webcomics we can't stand, Questionable Content not only has a self-proclaimed 'hipster' as an author but just seems so perfectly modelled for 'hip' people. Ie. lots of crappy irony, really heavy use of obscure band humour, childish humour, fuck*ng COFFEE CULTURE, etc. It just all combines into some horrible webcomic equivalent of Friends, as made by the guy who did Garden State.

QC has been annoying me lately, but I've gotten enough good times out of it that I'm willing to give the guy a break for now.  Him and R. Stevens have both just introduced new female characters that I find extremely annoying.  Hopefully this isn't turning into a trend.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Comics
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:04:18 pm »

Lessee.  I read Achewood, PVP, Penny Arcade, Order of the Stick, PBF, Get Your War On, and though I probably shouldn't count it because it's kind of defunct, Spamusement.  Also This Modern World, whatever Keith Knight's strip is called, and Tom the Dancing Bug over on Salon (I skip Way Lay on Tuesdays, because I don't like it).

I am out of the habit of reading the WaPo comics page every day, partly because I don't have time, and partly because most of them suck.  Still enjoy a good Dilbert, Doonesbury, or Pearls Before Swine.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Comics
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:40:08 pm »

PVP has already read, to me, as though it was created in a test tube by very very cynical chemists, trying to throw in every "element" to attract internet-type hipsters and ergo get an action figure deal and a 13-episode run on Adult Swim. As though it were not an entertainment form but a seventh-grade algebra equation and if you put in all the right numbers, you get Pez dispensers made of your characters.

Monster thing? Check. Moderately attractive woman whose only role is to be the female character? Check. Fat "nice" guy for the audience to identify with? Check. "Clever" hipster type for the audience to pretend they identify with? Check. Computers are involved? Check. Role playing games are involved? Check. Pointlessly and hopelessly inreferencing itself and webcomics as a genre? Check and double-check.

It's like it isn't a comic strip at all, it's the IDEA of a comic strip as some dude's scheme to get a foothold in more profitable avenues.

Plus the writer/artist/chemist often spouts off with all kinds of weird jibberish about his theories on what webcomics MEAN and what independent comics MEAN and anyone who isn't trying to do "Cathy for the D&D Set" is a phony pseudo-artiste just trying to impress people to get to the fabulous cash prizes of a contract with Marvel and... like... someone oughta put the dude in a goddamn cineplex because he's great at projecting.

Anyway, it seems that I like to talk at length about things I don't like.

Mea culpa.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 06:40:31 pm »

Achewood, Scary Go Round, Get Fuzzy, PBF and when I think about checking, Cat and Girl.

A related question would be Blogs. I always read Bad News Hughes whenever it's updated and of course the Achewood Blogs.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Comics
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 06:44:10 pm »

QC has been annoying me lately, but I've gotten enough good times out of it that I'm willing to give the guy a break for now.  Him and R. Stevens have both just introduced new female characters that I find extremely annoying.  Hopefully this isn't turning into a trend.

Speaketh thou of Hannelore?  Like Monk, she has an unrealistic amount of obsessive-compulsive symptoms, but I can kind of relate, so I usually find her somewhat entertaining.  I consider QC a guilty pleasure; but Jeph is a pretty nice guy in person (and Christi is even nicer; she complimented my HUUUGS shirt and lent me her laptop to type in my mailing address when she discovered they didn't have any more Music + Science = Sexy shirts in my size at the con).  As for the obscure band humour, I listen to enough of those bands to let him off the hook for being blatantly pretentious.  And though I don't feel like rummaging through the archives to find the particular strip of which I speak, the one about listening to Sigur Rós while gettin' it on is comedy gold.

That said, I read OverCompensating, Questionable Content, Indie Tits (occasionally, for the really stupid humour), Achewood, Everyone Drunk But Me (thanks, Mite!), and I used to read Wigu, before it went to print format.  I tried to get into ScaryGoRound, but it took far too much involvement to catch up for a latecomer such as myself, and I gave up.  I plan to start reading Cat and Girl.  Achewood is the only webcomic in which I invest a considerable amount of my free time discussing with fine people such as yourself, because, in my opinion, it is the only webcomic worth such dedication.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Comics
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 07:00:16 pm »

As for webcomics I read regularly?

Achewood, Perry Bible Fellowship, Slowwave...

Usually Narbonic because its just genuinely strange. Not always funny but always coming at you with something weirder than the last thing and I respect that.

Shortpacked, not so much that I find it funny all that often but because its kind of fascinating how the author can take what's obstensively supposed to be an office comedy about a bunch of Toys R Us employees down down down the rabbit hole of obsessive Transformers fandom until he's making jokes that only he will get and... how he doesn't seem to understand that only five people in the world outside of Japan remember anything about Transformers other than that the good guy leader was Optimus Something and that all of the English language internet fandom is the product of those five very strange guys who honestly believe that everyone knows all the forms the Dinosaur who Talked like the Hulk could change into.

I often also like to go on binges of following links from somethingawful to weird/strange/fetish/incoherent webcomics and enjoying... not so much how bad they are... but how they seem to come from different universes entirely? Like how they seem to be written for a parallel dimension where teenagers morphing into cat people and having sex with older people is a totally sane thing to make a comic strip about or written for a parallel dimension where a comic strip about a teenage witch whose only power seems to be turning men into women is a totally sane and socially acceptable thing. Or so on.

I'm fascinated with peering into little worlds where the fetish or the fandom has become so focused, so tight, so insulated, that in their fictions and in their internet communities, they've fashioned a tiny world where they don't have to admit what they're doing is completely goddamned strange.

Like we're the weird ones for not being sexually aroused by being stepped on by a giant woman, let alone not understanding why they're trying to fit an office comedy "storyline" around that fetish.

People are weird things.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 07:57:41 pm »

2500th post!

Scary.

I would like to put in a word for http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/, which is lame occassionally but the man updates every day so quit yer whining, and his lovely wife http://www.nataliedee.com/.  Also, totally more of you should read Cat and Girl.  And what, no love for Jeff Rowland?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Comics
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 08:18:24 pm »

Also, totally more of you should read Cat and Girl.  And what, no love for Jeff Rowland?

Like I said, I need to start reading Cat and Girl.  And both Flip and I expressed our love for OverCompensating.  This is one of my favourites, particularly because of the text below.  I also enjoy this one, this one, this one, and this one, among others.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 08:38:40 pm »

Also, totally more of you should read Cat and Girl.

I don't remember to often enough, but strips like this keep me coming back.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up