Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Poll

How many of them there e-comics do you peruse?

Just Achewood
- 5 (10.9%)
2-4
- 17 (37%)
4-6
- 11 (23.9%)
6-8
- 2 (4.3%)
8+
- 11 (23.9%)
None (I am only here for the social aspect of the messageboard)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45


Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Comics  (Read 16835 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Comics
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2007, 11:49:52 am »

I just discovered xkcd, which is really very groovy and not terribly involved, which is nice sometimes.

I'm also a big fan of Tales of Mere Existence.

vivouk

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 88
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2007, 03:26:26 am »

Xkcd's awesome, my new favourite webcomic.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Comics
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2007, 04:07:23 am »

I just discovered xkcd, which is really very groovy and not terribly involved, which is nice sometimes.

Snap, that comic is classy.
Logged
ACHIEVE

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2007, 07:38:18 am »

I'm afraid I've transcended into the world of real life paper comics.

Well... mostly I'm reading torrented scans of old comics.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2007, 10:08:44 am »

I read Preacher that way. I feel kind of so so about it. The last half felt like taking these great characters and just tearing them to hell, but kind of in a good way. I think. Or maybe not.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2007, 12:55:23 pm »

I'm afraid I've transcended into the world of real life paper comics.

Well... mostly I'm reading torrented scans of old comics.

Then you, my friend, have got to get into Little Dee. It's not in many papers but you can read it at littledee.net
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2007, 08:17:51 pm »

I will check that out, but I think I was a bit confusing.  I'm meaning the Bensan sized comics, not newspaper comics.

I got sucked back in when Captain America died.  So not cool.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2007, 01:47:40 pm »

Just bringing this thread back again to say: Naked mole rats and online comics. Together at last!
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2007, 11:11:32 am »

I just read through a collection of 'The Spirit' comics and damn was that good. They used to be published as a seven page newspaper insert so there aren't any you can't read in one sitting but there's a lot of really rich stuff going on there (for me anyway).
There are some cultural issues since it was written in the 40s, the main character's sidekick is 'Ebony White' an alternately disturbing and so terribly offensive that it's hilarious young black kid but oddly apart from that there wasn't anything that struck me as racist or even really sexist (the female villains tend to fall in love with the main character but generally after they've kicked the crap out of him).
I also liked (and was suprised by) the fact that they often didn't end well, there's a certain moral message there since generally it's criminals getting their comuppance but but ol' Eisner wasn't afraid to hurt characters you'd come to like as well (however briefly).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Comics
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2007, 06:03:48 am »

Anybody read :Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud? Or any Harvey Pekar (American Splendor)? I think the former might be one of the best books I've ever read. I'm pretty into Pekar right now. Both are a big influence on my creative thesis (a comic book).

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Comics
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2007, 06:12:23 am »

Understanding Comics is a great book.

With every sequel, they get less and less good, though.

McCloud is a fellow Orangeman, I told. Syracuse twists people up inside.

He is way way way too obsessed with the idea of early adopting technology too. The best online comics still hold onto a lot of the same forms as comic books and newspaper strips. A lot of great comic strips still ain't drawn onto Wacom Tablets by *****s or whatever.

I still dig pen and ink, m'self.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2007, 06:36:57 am »

Understanding Comics is a great book.

With every sequel, they get less and less good, though.

McCloud is a fellow Orangeman, I told. Syracuse twists people up inside.

He is way way way too obsessed with the idea of early adopting technology too. The best online comics still hold onto a lot of the same forms as comic books and newspaper strips. A lot of great comic strips still ain't drawn onto Wacom Tablets by #####s or whatever.

I still dig pen and ink, m'self.

******?


Edit: #####


Edit 2:  got it, sweet.  I can never remember which is which when the pressure is on, you know.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 07:03:55 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Comics
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2007, 10:06:21 am »

I love me some Pekar. Great, great stuff, and weirdly inspiring during hard times for me -- mostly because, when the going gets tough, I need a dose of simple reality.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Comics
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2008, 07:52:57 pm »

I just picked up Little Nemo: 1905-1914. Haven't cracked it yet. I sort of want to save it for the next time I take sick and am confined to bed.

What? They're comics.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Comics
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2008, 08:03:03 pm »

A friend has lent me about 10 Love and Rockets graphic novels spanning from the late 80's to mid 90's.  I've read one so far and am on the the next.  I'm finding it interesting and enjoyable, but am feeling slightly behind the times.  Maybe not "Little Nemo" behind the times, but behind."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up