Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.  (Read 9009 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05172006

I am nineteen, and I could have come up with something better. 

I love Beef's blank expression throughout the strip.  Paired with the tux, it is perfection.




Fixed your link - AD
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 06:33:55 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 06:28:51 pm »

He keeps the blank expression here as well.  Interesting, that.

Maybe this is the reason Google changes the logo for even the tiniest holiday/birthday/death/full moon/diurnal anomaly.


(I am sorry google.. it's true.  I still love you.  Please do not take away my gmail, I would die.)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 06:32:31 pm »

People for the Classing Up of Google's Logo, please report ... to the dance floor
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:33:37 pm »

Interesting that there was no Medal of Excellence awarded by the Board of Regents this time last year.  Must be a biennial event.

All the years I worked at IBM, I knew the logo was reminding me of something.  I just didn't know it was "Barney Miller."  But it all makes perfect sense now.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 06:36:01 pm »

I really want to know the origin of the term 'Nimrods'. Wasn't Nimrod a king in ancient times? How did it come to mean what it means now?
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 06:37:52 pm »

I really want to know the origin of the term 'Nimrods'. Wasn't Nimrod a king in ancient times? How did it come to mean what it means now?

In the bible Nimrod was known as "Mighty Hunter".  Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd a "Poor Little Nimrod" in one of their various cartoons (I don't remember which one at this point and I can't be arsed to google it in a thread about google because the recursion would kill us all).

The rest is assumption and history really.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 06:40:59 pm »

This is a good strip and I enjoy it. I laughed, a feeling which has been sorely missed, usually, for the last five months.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:46:02 pm »

Interesting that there was no Medal of Excellence awarded by the Board of Regents this time last year.  Must be a biennial event.

I see it as more like the Baseball Hall of Fame.

In theory, it happens every year but if no one gets enough votes to get in, its not as though they just throw in the guy with the highest number of votes so that they can induct someone. Nobody gets in? They just stick in some umpires, some old-timers, maybe a broadcaster, make fun of Pete Rose signing autographs two blocks away, have an exhibition game and call it a day.

This helps keep the cred up for the Hall, they say, and I'd suppose the theory's the same for the Medal.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:47:58 pm »


This helps keep the cred up for the Hall, they say, and I'd suppose the theory's the same for the Medal.

True but at least they didn't let the tux's go to waste last year..  What, say WHAT?!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 06:50:26 pm »

That's the thing about Google. It's FUN. Maybe the logo's pretty crap. But it's nonthreatening to graphic designers, unobtrusive, and spartan enough to be used by MachoMen. In additon, Google is the only company I can think of that's not 'faceless', despite not knowing what any of the owners look like.

And apparently they drive around on scooters and play ping-pong and stuff, and maybe if I go on Google enough they'll ask me for a job there.

Good strip!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 06:55:33 pm »

I see it as more like the Baseball Hall of Fame.

In theory, it happens every year but if no one gets enough votes to get in, its not as though they just throw in the guy with the highest number of votes so that they can induct someone. Nobody gets in? They just stick in some umpires, some old-timers, maybe a broadcaster, make fun of Pete Rose signing autographs two blocks away, have an exhibition game and call it a day.

This helps keep the cred up for the Hall, they say, and I'd suppose the theory's the same for the Medal.

Or perhaps Onstad just balked (baseball pun!) at the idea of interrupting the Volvo of Despair storyline last year.  Can you imagine the hellstorm that would've been unleashed on these very fora had we been made to wait another day for Volvo madness so that we could instead see Chris making fun of the way teens type on AIM?

HELLSTORM, I tell you, and Onstad is afraid of that.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 07:00:20 pm »

This is not the first time Onstad expressed his dislike of those colorful six letters:
http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_chrisonstad_archive.html

Personally that logo never offended me. It's just... bland. Although, now that I'm paying attention to it, that emboss effect is just awful...

I didn't google the Nimrod stuff either, following Q's sound advice. But I... wikipedia'd it? Is that a verb yet? And apparently the name started meaning "stupid" because of Bugs Bunny, actually. Can we believe that?
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 07:15:22 pm »

This is not the first time Onstad expressed his dislike of those colorful six letters:
http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_chrisonstad_archive.html

Personally that logo never offended me. It's just... bland. Although, now that I'm paying attention to it, that emboss effect is just awful...

I didn't google the Nimrod stuff either, following Q's sound advice. But I... wikipedia'd it? Is that a verb yet? And apparently the name started meaning "stupid" because of Bugs Bunny, actually. Can we believe that?

Quote from: me
Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd a "Poor Little Nimrod" in one of their various cartoons

Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 07:28:11 pm »



Relax Q, I know you'rethe one who first brought up the Bugs Bunny ref. I just thought it wasn't clear in your post that maybe Bugs called Elmer Fudd "nimrod" meaning "hunter", and after that (and because of that) the word got the derogatory meaning. I mean, it's funny to think that the cartoon writers were using a relatively sophisticated biblical reference but most people saw it and thought "hey, look at the funny word they invented to call the bald little guy stupid! HAR HAR HAR!"

But thanks for the gif, can I keep it?
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 07:30:49 pm »

Mostly I was just finding any excuse to use that gif.

You are more than welcome to it my friend.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up