Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.  (Read 8981 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 07:47:49 pm »

This award would have been much more appropriate a year ago.  Since then, Google has devolved into an unusable pile of shit and advertisements.  Now it's Wikipedia or it's nuthin'.  And their logo has an Omega in it.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 08:03:01 pm »

Mostly I was just finding any excuse to use that gif.

You are more than welcome to it my friend.

And I made this one a while ago but never had the chance to use it.
So there it goes, for absolutely no reason:

Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 08:04:34 pm »

And I made this one a while ago but never had the chance to use it.
So there it goes, for absolutely no reason:

It is a perfect...Logo!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 08:30:20 pm »

I'm very glad that Onstad corrected Ray's glasses in the 2006 Regency strip.   The 2004 strip has been bugging me since then.

Logged

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 12:06:59 am »

When the hell did Google become "unusable"? I never know what any of you jerks are talking about.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 12:25:37 am »

Don't call all of us jerks, only some of us are jerks.

I don't think Google is unusable but I do hate the ads and the fact that the first few returned links may be there not because they are closest to what I'm searching for but because their owners paid for their high placement.



Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 12:48:45 am »

This award would have been much more appropriate a year ago.  Since then, Google has devolved into an unusable pile of shit and advertisements.  Now it's Wikipedia or it's nuthin'.  And their logo has an Omega in it.

What are these ads you speak of?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 01:29:31 am »

Really, of all the ads in our ad-bombarded lives, the Google ads are the most innocuous. The paid-for links in the search results are obvious and easily ignored, and the rest of the ads I don't even really see.  I use Gmail too and I don't usually notice the ads there either.  Sometimes one catches my eye and half the time it's amusing to see how stupid the computer-generated idea of appropriateness is - if you're writing about how much you hate tomatoes you'll get ads for tomato seeds, or you'll get ads relevant to the wrong meaning of a word. But mostly they're just invisible to me.  If only the ads on TV and in print were as unobstrusive.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 01:47:05 am »

LEELA: Didn't you have ads in the twentieth century?

FRY: Well, sure, but not in our dreams. Only on TV and radio... and in magazines... and movies, and at ballgames, and on buses, and milk cartons, and T-shirts, and bananas, and written in the sky. But not in dreams, no sirree.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 02:20:26 am »

This award would have been much more appropriate a year ago.  Since then, Google has devolved into an unusable pile of shit and advertisements.  Now it's Wikipedia or it's nuthin'.  And their logo has an Omega in it.

Funny story: I know the dude who did the initial design for what eventually became the Wikipedia logo. I know this because we were eating lunch with him when he got the official royalty-check-and-legal-papers letter about it all.

He might be the closest I come to actually knowing a famous person.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 03:27:19 am »

You guys don't know what I'm talking about?  That is Crazzzzy.

I used to use Google, search for something, and have an endless list of links with five-star information, completely relevant to what I was searching for.  It was the perfect search engine.

Nowadays, you use Google, and the first thing on the list is the page to buy whatever you're searching for on Amazon, and the rest of the list is a mess of websites riddled with pop-ups and adware.  The relevant information is sparse, I find myself having to search though pages of links to find the information I want.

Perhaps it's just me.  I used to use the internet to find information about the Kurds or Shakespeare, and now I'm using it to find stuff on specific liver enzymes or critical levels of iodine in radioactive assays.

But I read somewhere (I think it might have been Time magazine) that Google tried some kind of update, which was causing old information to come to tops of searches.  I feel like I have noticed the direct result of this problem.

But no one else has noticed that amount of useful information from Google has become more and more diluted?  Maybe I'm the one that's crazy, but maybe it is you.
Logged
ACHIEVE

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 03:36:03 am »

To be fair, I've seen the same thing, although it's mostly because I tend to have very specific science-related searches these days. That said, I can usually still find something. Maybe it is just you?
Logged

springbreeze

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 03:37:11 am »

Is Beef's use of punctuation (twice!) distressing anyone else?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 04:30:18 am »

Is Beef's use of punctuation (twice!) distressing anyone else?

I chalked it up to him being in a formal setting, being nervous, being formal, possibly even reading directly off a cue card. Which... is weird when you think about it... that I'm automatically rationalizing what's probably a typo in an online comic and just integrating that rationalization into the reality of said fictional world.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 04:54:28 am »

Perhaps it's just me.  I used to use the internet to find information about the Kurds or Shakespeare, and now I'm using it to find stuff on specific liver enzymes or critical levels of iodine in radioactive assays.

I find Google Scholar helpful when I have specific scientific queries and I don't want to be diverted by eBay offering to sell me ethidium bromide.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up