Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Top 5  (Read 13004 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jeepers

  • Guest
Top 5
« on: May 18, 2006, 04:09:04 pm »

What are your top 5 albums of all time?

The requirements be such:
these are the albums that have never lost their cool in your eyes.
Every song on the record is incredible, without exception.
You can listen to this album from beginning to end without getting bored or skipping a track.
And finally, This album has changed (or at least enhanced) your life in some way.

here's my list.


1. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink *****s
2. David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
3. The Locust - Flight Of The Wounded Locust
4. Neil Young - After The Gold Rush
5. Ween - Chocolate and Cheese



Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Top 5
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:26:30 pm »

1.  Radiohead - Kid A
2.  Denali - Denali
3.  Radiohead - Amnesiac
4.  Broken Social Scene - Feel Good Lost
5.  Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: Top 5
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 04:35:01 pm »

This is somehow much harder than 25 bands and I have no idea why.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 04:47:11 pm »

1. Gomez - Liquid Skin
2. Wilco - Being There
3. They Might Be Giants - John Henry
4. Radiohead - OK Computer
5. Travis - Good Feeling
Logged

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Top 5
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 04:49:16 pm »

1. The Flaming Lips-The Soft Bulletin
2. Pavement-Slanted Enchanted
3. Daniel Johnston-Retired Boxer
4. Dr. Octagon-Dr. Octagonecologist
5. The Arcade Fire-Funeral

There we have it.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Top 5
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 04:53:46 pm »

Adding the "this record changed your life" qualifier makes my list slightly different than just "What are your five favorite albums."

R.E.M.  "Fables of the Reconstruction"
Marvin Gaye "What's Going On"
Big Audio Dynamite "This Is B.A.D."
Kitchens of Distinction "Strange Free World"
Pearl Jam "Ten"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 04:55:26 pm »

This is way hard. Luckily I know basically zilch about pre-1995 music which really cuts down my options.

1. The New Pornographers - The Electric Version
2. Pixies - Doolittle
3. Weezer - Blue
4. They Might Be Giants - Lincoln
5. Mary Prankster - Roulette Girl

With about 15 honorable mentions.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Top 5
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 04:58:15 pm »

Yeah I am agonizing over this even more than the 25 as well.

Dammit people we've already determined that the greatest TMBG album is Lincoln.  This is clear... as for Ween it's The Pod.. hands down.


1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. Aesop Rock - Labor
3. TMBG - Lincoln
4. Pixies - Doolittle
5. Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom

Dammit.. that isn't even resemblant of anything... bah.. whatever.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 05:24:26 pm »

Adding the "this record changed your life" qualifier makes my list slightly different than just "What are your five favorite albums."

Kitchens of Distinction "Strange Free World"


Seconded!

TMBG - Self-Titled
Pixies - "Doolittle"
Frank Black - Teenager of the Year
Kitches of Distinction - "Strange Free World"
Men At Work - Business As Usual
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Top 5
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 05:27:09 pm »

cort-- the blue album. YES.

I cannot even pretend to make this list.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 05:34:43 pm »

Seconded!

TMBG - Self-Titled
Pixies - "Doolittle"
Frank Black - Teenager of the Year
Kitches of Distinction - "Strange Free World"
Men At Work - Business As Usual

I feel like I should like The Pink Album more than I do, because of course "their old stuff is better" but I just can't get into that one as much. The only song I really get into is 32 Footsteps.
Logged

Jeepers

  • Guest
Re: Top 5
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 05:49:58 pm »

as for Ween it's The Pod.. hands down.

This is true, the reason that Chocolate and Cheese made the top 5 for me was it's role in my life. The Pod is a superior album, but C&C has links to awesome times in my life.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Top 5
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 05:50:39 pm »

I feel like I should like The Pink Album more than I do, because of course "their old stuff is better" but I just can't get into that one as much. The only song I really get into is 32 Footsteps.

Nothing's Gonna Change my clothes is basically like treasure.

Also, Don't Let's Start of course, but that's on Miscellaneous T as well... um... Rhythm Section Want Ad is pretty good too.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Top 5
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 05:51:25 pm »

5. Exposure - Robert Fripp
4. Outside - David Bowie
3. The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner - The Ben Folds Five
2. Red - King Crimson
1. Abbey Road - The Beatles
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Jeepers

  • Guest
Re: Top 5
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 05:52:35 pm »

I can't believe it took this long to get a Beatles album on the list.


edit: Good choice on the Bowie album, but back off... he's mine.

I'm going to get him pregnant.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up