Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Top 5  (Read 13005 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Top 5
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 10:15:11 pm »

That was the only reason I figured I'd get away with it.

Hey, I found this onion over here. Did it fall off your belt?

It's too bad they didn't have white onions (because of the war); you had to resort to those big yellow ones.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 10:29:14 pm »

This is difficult to write since most of my CD collection was stolen, so I don't have many "albums" around, but these are the Important Ones I can think of, in alphabetical order:

Dave Matthews Band - Remember Two Things
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
Propellerheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll
R.E.M. - Nightswimming

Honorable mention (they fit the criteria but are not Top 5):

Barenaked Ladies - Rock Spectacle
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Beck - Odelay
Beta Band - Champion Versions*
Cake - Pressure Chief
Crystal Method - Tweekend
Fatboy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry
Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons
Moby - Play
Powerman 5000 - Tonight The Stars Revolt!
R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
TMBG - Lincoln
U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind

*Does it count if it's an EP, only had 4 songs, and I actually owned a CD which collected that EP and others?

Also, there are a lot of artists whose work is really important to me, but their catalog is released piecemeal now and never really had "albums," specifically most of the early jazz bands and singers.  I only know these artists through various compilations:

Louis Armstrong
Harry Belafonte
Cab Calloway
Ray Charles
Bobby Darin
Tommy Dorsey
Ella Fitzgerald
Benny Goodman
Eartha Kitt
Louis Prima
Sarah Vaughan

As a final note, let me say FUCK YOU to the person who stole my CDs.  Okay?  FUCK.  YOU.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Top 5
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 11:01:35 pm »

Hmm... this is pretty hard (a good lot of the bands I put on my top 25 list are important but indiv. albums, I still skip around some yet see the collection as a whole as great beyond that aspect, so yeah, this'll just be based on ones I recall frequently getting out in the past 6yrs), but I'm going to go on first instinct, yo:

1. The Notwist - Neon Golden (yessssss)
2. Ella Guru - The First Album (I wrote a review for it for my cousin's old zine back in '04.  not sure if it ever got published, but that review made me listen more than I would've originally and it still is great all the way through.. I get chills each time I get it out)
3. Knife in the Water - Plays One Sound & Others ('Red River' is great, but I relate more with this one... especially 'Norma' -- it's where the 'Texas only kept me awake' line comes from -- and the last track)
4. Twilight Singers - Blackberry Belle
5. Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2006, 12:27:26 am »

It's too bad they didn't have white onions (because of the war); you had to resort to those big yellow ones.

Look girly, you don't remember back in the day when it was so bad we had to wear scallions. Those were the hard times.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2006, 12:55:03 am »


Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters


Oooo, that's a great album!  I haven't heard it in forever because I have it on vinyl but don't have a working turntable anymore.

Know who else is good?  Herbie Mann.  And Jimmy Smith.  And Kenny Burrell.  And Wes Montgomery.  And Ray Charles, Roland Kirk, Ornette Coleman, Freddie Hubbard and Eric Dolphy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Top 5
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2006, 04:49:41 am »

Yeah, the life-changing requirement alters the list a little bit, but also makes it easier to compile:

--Bob Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited
--Built to Spill: Ultimate Alternative Wavers (I know, it's not their best, but it's tied for my favorite, and holy fuck did it change my life)
--Saint Etienne: Tiger Bay
--The Smiths: The Queen is Dead
--Fugazi: In on the Killtaker
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2006, 07:36:15 am »

This is leaning on life changing, but most of these artists would be on if it was just top 5, just different albums.  In fact, I am going to put my favorite album in parenthesis after the first album.

1.  Bob Dylan- Blonde on Blonde (Bringing it all back Home)
2.  Beck-  Mellow Gold  (Mellow Gold)
3.  Velvet Underground- VU w/ Nico (Self-Titled)
4.  Beatles- Revolver (Revolver)
5.  Radiohead- OK Computer (I can never decide what my favorite radiohead album is, I like them all)

And I guess by life changing, I mean changed the music I listened to.  But music is pretty important to me.  Most of them do have moments that I can immediately see in my head nostalgically, though.  And, for the record, the memory is not just my with my headphones on.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Top 5
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2006, 08:20:40 am »

Allow me to weigh in and state that I find the best Beatles album to be Magical Mystery Tour.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2006, 01:20:01 pm »

Propellerheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll

Your list could've been one album long.  D&D&R&R is a masterpiece and should've been more influential than Nevermind.  I shall demonstrate my happiness by bestowing tiny cans.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Top 5
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2006, 01:22:28 pm »

Your list could've been one album long.  D&D&R&R is a masterpiece and should've been more influential than Nevermind.  I shall demonstrate my happiness by bestowing tiny cans.

Concurrance here.

So much so that this is my favorite jerkcity ever.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Re: Top 5
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2006, 12:51:50 am »

I'll shoot...

1) Propeller by Guided by Voices
2) Hex Enduction Hour by the Fall
3) London Calling by the Clash
4) Bizarro by the Wedding Present
5) Perfect Teeth by Unrest
 
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Top 5
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2006, 03:03:39 am »

I lost my copy of London calling. But I have a poster in my room of it.

this is a Pose, because while the cover is great, and I really like a few of the songs, I have never gotten that into it.

That said, I do remember the first time I ever heard "London Calling." It came on on the radio just as I woke up, and I jumped out of bed so that I could write down the song title and artist when they announced it.


I listened to Big Star. Never put a man/boy in a position to listen to "thirteen" when he is within a week of turning 18 and graduating from highschool. Also: he is moving away.
It's litany of typical teenage experiences made me realize that I will never experience many of these things again. or that i never did experience them. I am at a dual point: part of me still hates being a teenager, but part of me is already nostalgic.

Another song that does this: "Eighteen" by Alice Cooper. This song is so good. so good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Top 5
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2006, 03:49:33 am »

I listened to Big Star. Never put a man/boy in a position to listen to "thirteen" when he is within a week of turning 18 and graduating from highschool. Also: he is moving away.
It's litany of typical teenage experiences made me realize that I will never experience many of these things again. or that i never did experience them. I am at a dual point: part of me still hates being a teenager, but part of me is already nostalgic.

Another song that does this: "Eighteen" by Alice Cooper. This song is so good. so good.

This feeling does not go away in conjunction with the end of high school.  Every moment, no matter how minute, will be endowed with the glowing edges of significance, even as you are experiencing it.  This is only the beginning of when you will make tally-marks to record life-changing events to take note of the fact that you will never be in the same place in your life again.  From now on, everything counts.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Top 5
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2006, 04:01:33 am »

NOOOOOOO

"no, I don't want to celebrate my birthday. It just reminds me that I'm closer to dying."
that will be me. that will be me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Top 5
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2006, 04:03:18 am »

Welcome to Hobot's World.  Wristwatches do not tell the current hour, but instead count down the remaining time before your death.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up