Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: (Politics) Upcoming Presidential Election Thread: As Objective as Possible  (Read 37177 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile

Just curious -- why do you consider those candidates risky for the democrats?  Are there democrats running who you would consider less risky? 

Obama is risky because he is a far liberal black guy and Clinton is risky because she is a Clinton woman from New York.  Who is less risky?
Uh Joe Biden is a good looking old white guy from Delaware and he hasn't said much that makes me weep for the future.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Obama is risky because he is black and Clinton is risky because she is a woman.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

has she been asked yet...

I mean... what I want to know is...

can we elect a president who has probably given Blowjobs to a previous president? Or, I mean, was Slick Willy's willy not getting what it needed from her?

and to make it fair, Is Obama pro- or anti- blowjob?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

My doubts about Obama float around his inexperience and his ability to triangulate with the religious right far too quickly.

My doubts about Clinton float around her disturbing ability to triangulate with the hawks at the drop of a goddamn hat.

But the big question is as such: which will the Republican base of largely ignorant social conservatives in the South and lower Midwest hate more, the idea of a black man in the White House or the idea of a Clinton in the White House?

The good news is that if the Republicans put Guliani or McCain up there, many of the churchies are either gonna just not vote or... more likely... prop up the right-wing version of a Nader, some crazy ideologue "out to prove a point" but much more concerned with being famous (just like Nader) and any Democrat wins.

McCain was too independent in the past to be forgiven by the hardliners and Guliani is... a socially-moderate Catholic from the Northeast. As a Catholic from the Northeast myself, I could well point out what the people in charge of the right-wing agenda did to the last Catholic from the Northeast who had the temerity to run for President...

They blew his head off in Dallas.

Nah, if a Republican can hope to win, it isn't any of the front-runners out there now.

If they put the whole machine behind Thompson early on, I could see him being enough of a Reagan-ese cypher to maybe win... someone who can be whoever each person wants them to be. Happily, Gingrich and Cheney are already cartoon characters who could never win.

I have this weird fear that if everything goes to crap, they're gonna trot out Jeb in the eleventh hour.

Though that is similarly mirrored by my biggest dream, which would be that if Clinton stumbled hard early, Gore rides in like a white knight, like an electric simitar, like a superdriver of the Golden West, like a sole hero in a soul mobile, like the last beautiful free soul on this planet...

Like an aging Clark Kent ripping off his glasses and farmboy flannels in his Kansas retirement to be the Superman once again.

I mean, I'll vote for just about any Democrat other than Uncle Tom Lieberman but...

Of the front-runners, I feel like the Republican base might end up hating Hilary more for being the wife of the Glorious Bastard Who Beat Them At Their Own Goddamn Game than they hate Obama for being black. Which... I guess... is progress?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

and Clinton is risky because she is a Clinton woman from New York. 

Is that true?  She's their senator now, but isn't she from Connecticut or Vermont or something originally?

If they put the whole machine behind Thompson early on, I could see him being enough of a Reagan-ese cypher to maybe win... someone who can be whoever each person wants them to be.

I heard Fred Thompson subbing in for Paul Harvey this morning on the radio - I was curious about whether my previous impression of him as the DA in Law&Order would color how I took his performance.  It didn't - and I found myself thinking he sounded better than Harvey's kid, who I find annoying.  He does homespun pretty well, which seems to be a mark of Presidentiality these days.

I have this weird fear that if everything goes to crap, they're gonna trot out Jeb in the eleventh hour.

Speaking as a guy who voted against Daddy, and Gore, and for George II the second time around - if they bring George III in I'll not only vote Peach & Freedom or some damn thing - I'll go on a pilgrimmage to Washington, Jefferson and Adams' graves just to put my ears to the ground to listen to the spinning.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

As much as I like Gore I'd be worried if he tried to come back into it, while he's done a lot to bring attention to global warming and other environment issues his presence has also politicised them hugely which is really counter-productive. I'd worry about what would happen if he actually got into politics again.
But I doubt it would happen anyway.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Quote from: jaydub
Is that true? She's their senator now, but isn't she from Connecticut or Vermont or something originally?

Madame Senator grew up in the Chicago 'burbs, I believe.

I met her, briefly, at a function because my uncle was the head of the Democratic Party in one of those little counties in the Adirondacks where there are only 2,000 Democrats in the entire county, because there are only 20,000 people in the entire country and most of the population are Psychotic Adirondack Hillbilly Christian-Apocalyptic Nutjobs.

She is probably the smartest person running for president and would not be a bad president.

I just worry a bit about her ability to compromise ideals in the flush of The Will to Power.

I'll vote for her if she's the D but... I'd feel better about it if she would just be giraffe-or-fowl about the Iraq Tragedy.

She'll have to be, eventually.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Fooker

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -18
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 193
  • domesticated troll
    • View Profile

Anyone who wants Hillary to be president for any reasons other than "Fuck it, burn the mother to the GROUND" obviously doesn't have a problem with this little "Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush" thing we've been having.

I mean, god damn, almost all those "I'm above the law!" kennedys are dead and here we go creating dynasties again. Fuck that shit. Tancredo for Prez.
Logged
NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile

Anyone who wants Hillary to be president for any reasons other than "Fuck it, burn the mother to the GROUND" obviously doesn't have a problem with this little "Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush" thing we've been having.

I mean, god damn, almost all those "I'm above the law!" kennedys are dead and here we go creating dynasties again. Fuck that shit. Tancredo for Prez.

CAN.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Anyone who wants Hillary to be president for any reasons other than "Fuck it, burn the mother to the GROUND" obviously doesn't have a problem with this little "Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush" thing we've been having.

I mean, god damn, almost all those "I'm above the law!" kennedys are dead and here we go creating dynasties again. Fuck that shit. Tancredo for Prez.

I don't know, I kind of like it for symmetry's sake. B C C B B C!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com

Anyone who wants Hillary to be president for any reasons other than "Fuck it, burn the mother to the GROUND" obviously doesn't have a problem with this little "Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush" thing we've been having.

I mean, god damn, almost all those "I'm above the law!" kennedys are dead and here we go creating dynasties again. Fuck that shit. Tancredo for Prez.

I think about this a lot. Two families will have led our nation for TWENTY YEARS. If Hillary wins in '08 and a presumed reelection in four, that would be almost THIRTY YEARS. And shit, by then, Chelsea will be just about old enough to run.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

I think about this a lot. Two families will have led our nation for TWENTY YEARS. If Hillary wins in '08 and a presumed reelection in four, that would be almost THIRTY YEARS. And shit, by then, Chelsea will be just about old enough to run.

And once the Bush twins get their shit together . . .
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Here's the thing:

Chelsea was in the same class at Stanford as my high school class' valedictorian. Our snotty stuck-up valedictorian Tess. But the Secret Service didn't let Tess live in Chelsea's dorm. The Secret Service said Tess wasn't good enough.

It was a tiny victory for LFHS class of 97. All thanks to Chelsea.

Plus... you KNOW she's gotta be a lot better in the sack than the Bush twins. Coked-out blandly Texas-good-looking rich girls probably just lay there and giggle.

Chelsea, being only a shade or two over plain, TRIES HARDER.

...that and she's Bill's kid. That means she's buckwild, straight up.

Bill Clinton is the closest real person we have to The Highlander. The Adrian Paul television Highlander. If Jesus met Bill Clinton, H(h)e would say "man, I met Bill Clinton! that's so rad! Bill Clinton is the man!"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Here's the thing:

Chelsea was in the same class at Stanford as my high school class' valedictorian. Our snotty stuck-up valedictorian Tess. But the Secret Service didn't let Tess live in Chelsea's dorm. The Secret Service said Tess wasn't good enough.

It was a tiny victory for LFHS class of 97. All thanks to Chelsea.

Plus... you KNOW she's gotta be a lot better in the sack than the Bush twins. Coked-out blandly Texas-good-looking rich girls probably just lay there and giggle.

Chelsea, being only a shade or two over plain, TRIES HARDER.

...that and she's Bill's kid. That means she's buckwild, straight up.

Bill Clinton is the closest real person we have to The Highlander. The Adrian Paul television Highlander. If Jesus met Bill Clinton, H(h)e would say "man, I met Bill Clinton! that's so rad! Bill Clinton is the man!"

That's cool and all, but are you Rush? I mean, Chelsea is a shade or two over plain? I think she's pretty cute, personally. Maybe my standards aren't as high as yours. At least you didn't call her Clinton family dog.

Also, what does everyone think of Obama's take on the 1984 apple ad? It can be found on Youtube. My gut feeling is that it was a mistake (although a clever one) and it was too early to go negative.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

I'm not saying Chelsea is ugly. She isn't. She is perfectly acceptable looking. But also nothing that particularly stirs my loins. Her cheeks and nose look like they belong on two different people's faces and... I can't get past that. Just can't.

As for the Obama ad, great ad, horrific timing. That's the ad you bust out three days before Iowa and New Hampshire to get the people riding the fence to jump over to your side without enough time to let the Clinton Machine fully call you on going negativo.

Give Bill's braintrust a week and a half and they'll figure out to backfire that motherfucker.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up