Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: World Cup 2006 (Football)  (Read 18257 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 08:37:57 pm »

So then! Who's been watching?

The only match I've fully watched is of course England vs. Paraguay. Although we won, we weren't very sharp. As befitting British character, the nation has fallen into the same state of gloom that would have occured from a loss. 1-0 just ain't enough when your national team has been hyped beyond reason.

Some early upsets: Poland losing 2-0 to Ecuador, and unfortunately your own Soccer team losing 3-0 to the Czech Republic. By the strange rules of football, this will most likely result in you boys winning the whole damn thing.

I'm really beating a dead hoss with a stick here, but I urge all you football fans to share your thoughts.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 08:44:15 pm »

Haven't watched any matches, but followed USA-CZE online today.  Sounds like the Americans played like ass--some ball control, but no real scoring chances. 
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 09:51:22 pm »

I saw the rebroadcast of the serbia-netherlands game last night, and part of the iran-mexico game. The "World Cup Headquarters" pub down the street unfortunately doesn't have the sound up very loud for their repeats in the evening, and the commentary was all auf Deutsch anyway, so it was a little disappointing. I was going to catch the rerun of the US game tonight, but it sounds like it's just not worth it.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 03:49:15 am »

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

OI OI OI!


Woo, that was such an awesome game.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 05:44:10 am »

I have watched the late games sat, sun and today.  I really haven't gotten into it because of class and horrible wine hangovers, but I am a normal football watcher.  I support Liverpool, FYI.  Todays Itsly Guana game was pretty good, I thought Guana may have some type of shot, same with Argentina and whoever they played (wine hangover).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 10:56:36 am »

I support Liverpool, FYI. 

English ex-patriate? How do you get to watch their games over there?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 09:41:26 pm »

My freshman year of college my best friend was an exchange student from England.  He was a Liverpool supporter and one of the national sports networks shows games at like 4 a.m. Friday night-Saturday morning.  We would be drunk and like 50 % of the time Liverpool games were on.  Plus, back then they had Owen, Gerrard and Hesky, all classic players.  Also, they had that French defender with the weird name (hippia?  that is not right but close).  Anyways, the next year I got cable that had a channel on it called Fox Soccer Net, which will play most EPL games and the occasional Spanish or Italian league game.  That was 2 years ago when Liverpool won the Champions league (that is what it is called, right?).  This year I quit cable because I only watched like a couple soccer games and HBO, so I kind of quit watching it, which is why I am not that into the world cup.  Plus, I have to watch it on one of the local Spanish language channels, but that actually makes it cooler.  Anyways, I still kind of follow Liverpool (in other words, I know they won the FA Cup).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 09:51:20 pm »

Awesome story, Keith. I hope you saw the FA Cup final. Gerrard PUNISHED.

Also, they had that French defender with the weird name (hippia?  that is not right but close). 
I think you're referring to that awesome Swede Mr Hyppia. True story: He collected Pokemon cards.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 10:19:31 pm »

Yea, thats the guy.  That is really sweet that he collected Pokemon cards.  It is stuff around the game that is just bizzare that makes your football better.  Well, the way I see it, (real-(world)) Football and baseball are very similar.  Both rely on tradition and players more than lame marketing plans and quick, relatively lame action.  They each have like something that you have to get really into to enjoy, not just watch people hit each other hard.  I think that is why I like both sports so much.  It is like good music, a secret little club that not everybody can enjoy. 

Hyppia is still with Liverpool, right?

Also, Judy, you may want to check out Deadspin.com for american coverage.  Maybe you could give your perspective on it or something.  It is pretty funny and they are live blogging the whole thing.  Anyone who cares at all about u.s. sports (not national teams, just sports coverage) and funny shit should like this place.


For instance, this: http://www.deadspin.com/sports/soccer/smoke-em-if-you-got-em-180264.php

not to push the issue, but another classic: http://www.deadspin.com/sports/soccer/hey-we-can-all-agree-to-hate-soccer-together-180421.php
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:51:46 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2006, 01:20:10 pm »

You can get most of the big European leagues on various satellite channels.  Hardcore fans will often hang out at "soccer bars" to watch the matches.  I was in a DC United fan club for some years, and a lot of people hung out at a bar in Arlington that ran English Premier League, Spain, probably Germany and Italy too.

Schalke 04!  w00t!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2006, 02:55:34 pm »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12675510/ (Found from Keith's Deadspin.com links - Thanks!)

Creepily iconic ignorance of the rest of the world? Or just plain odd? It's fuck*ng football! The most popular sport on Earth!

[/crazed moronic semi-rant]
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2006, 02:57:18 pm »

I vote for "Creepily iconic ignorance of the rest of the world."  Reports are that Bush is one of the most non-intellectually curious guys you'll ever meet.  He knows what he knows and could give a shit about learning much new.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2006, 02:59:46 pm »

I vote for "Creepily iconic ignorance of the rest of the world."  Reports are that Bush is one of the most non-intellectually curious guys you'll ever meet.  He knows what he knows and could give a shit about learning much new.

I don't know, it certainly looked like he was concentrating on that football pretty hard. Very hard, you might say.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2006, 07:30:08 pm »

Their is a group of people (probably 10) in my town who really love Spanish football.  I know a couple of them and they get the satelite thing or like a ppv deal.  This is surprisig because I live in Oklahoma.  Also, from the link that Judy found from the link I found I found this:

Security staff confiscated 823 flares from spectators before Tuesday night's match and stopped three fans trying to get onto the field. But it was the two flares and one man that slipped through the security net that attracted all the attention.

Jesus I wish I lived in Europe.

Edit: despite the fact I know a little German and may live there some day:  GO POLAND!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2006, 08:51:36 pm »

Despite my go poland request that was an amazing game.  I was going to say it was one of the most exciting nil nil games I have ever seen, then that great goal during stoppage time.  I just wanted Poland to get some revenge for sep 1 1939, but you know, whatever. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up