Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: World Cup 2006 (Football)  (Read 18290 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2006, 08:45:24 pm »

It was a classless move that possibly cost his team and country the World Cup.


Beyond momentum it did not affect anything.  Also, he had already won his team and country a World Cup, and was treated poorly in his country after that, so why does he have to do it again?  Fuck, why should he want to do it again.  Since when is some retarded trophy more important than your pride? 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2006, 08:54:02 pm »

How is that something to be proud of? That's what I don't understand. Maybe it was meaningless to the outcome - but surely you aren't saying that he did the right thing in that situation.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2006, 08:54:58 pm »

Yeah, there are a LOT of lip-readers coming up with a LOT of different "interpretations."

Conclusion: lip-reading is not SCIENCE.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2006, 10:11:20 pm »

I think there are certainly worse things he could have done, if in fact it was a racial slur.

I think you don't understand the rampant racism involved in soccer.  As I said, he was treated poorly by the French after they won in 98, so has no reason to play for his country.  He has already won a World Cup and is generally considered one of the greatest players of the last 20 years, so he has nothing to prove for himself.  Do you let a person trash your culture and your family, or do you make him pay for what he said, thus restoring your pride.  I doubt he thought of all this, but it is, at very least, justifiable.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2006, 10:58:30 pm »

Yes but, on the other hand, if racist people hold that Algerians are violent thugs, he may have salved his own sense of indignation at the cost of perpetuating the stereotype. He proves the other guys point.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2006, 11:03:15 pm »

I didn't look at it that way.  Education.

Still I would say that a racial slur is worse than what he did in return, even if it proves his point, because it doesn't really prove his point.  The Italian is being the thug in that situation.  But still, it gives the image of Zidane being the thug to a casual observer or for one that wants it to be that way.  Who knows what is worse out of those two options?  Actually being the real asshole, or being perceived as the asshole.

So I guess I am trying to say that I see your point.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2006, 12:03:52 am »

I am impressed by the ferocity of the headbutt involved. Even if the guy getting butted was overselling it, it was a pretty impressively fierce headbutt. He has earned my headbutt-ability respect.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2006, 12:21:53 am »

He was known for his headers.  That was one of his specialties.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2006, 01:19:15 am »

I'm not sure he was overselling it since it was a total surprise and was away from the ball and the ref. I think he just flat out got knocked on his ass. Especially considering where he was struck. And, yeah, ol' Zizzou definitely is no stranger to applying his head to an object in a direct way.

Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2006, 12:28:59 pm »

Mostly I hate these things, but this made me laugh pretty hard.  (Mostly because I love the original scene it references)

Here's a whole stupid page of them... you know.. if you want.   Jeezus humanity, seriously.  (Okay the lamp post one is pretty funny too.)


Lister: I blame you for this entirely.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2006, 08:06:59 pm »

I like the one you click to headbutt the oncoming series of Matarazzis. That was funny.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2006, 01:29:42 am »

Have to say, I quite liked Zidane headbutting the death star to obliteration.
Classy.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2006, 06:47:22 pm »

There are rumors now that 2010 could, possibly be held in the U.S.  It is now scheduled for South Africa, but they are worried about travel accomidations, and, well, that it is in South Africa probably.  If they do move it I would like them to move it to amother place in Africa, but it would be really cool to go to some games.


http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1818166,00.html
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2006, 07:13:14 pm »

So, Ronaldinho's girlfriend said that he stayed up late having sex with her and playing playstation, which is why he didn't play well in the world cup.

Hell of Sex and FIFA World Cup 2006 (I mean the video game)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

vivouk

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 88
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2006 (Football)
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2006, 08:55:30 pm »

OK, I joined this forum long after the World Cup finished. Here are my overall thoughts:

1) Sami Hyppia is in fact Finnish.
2) Australia were so brave and I was rooting for them throughout (Mum's Australian).
3) A few months afterwards, I think a lot of people see the headbutt incident as a blip rather than a disastrous end to ZZ's career.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up