Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pierced Glasses  (Read 14989 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pierced Glasses
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2006, 03:15:23 am »

This the point in the thread where Paul digs up the picture of himself wearing croakies and a ponytail.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pierced Glasses
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2006, 01:27:10 pm »

This the point in the thread where Paul digs up the picture of himself wearing croakies and a ponytail.

I'll see what I can do tonight when I get home.  No promises though because that was before I went digital and all that analog shit is back in Houston.  I may have something scanned though.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Pierced Glasses
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2006, 08:31:41 pm »

I got tired of my normal spectacles so I went to the optician for a contact lens exam in early April.  It turns out I have astigmatism in my right eye and the special contact lens I was prescribed to correct it is imperfect.  I can see at distance with nearly no problems but things that are close to me are completely fuzzy in that eye.  I'm hopeful that a follow-up fitting will help.

As for the discomfort, it took me a good 20 minutes to get my contacts in when I was still getting used to poking myself in the eye.  Now I get them in and out on the first try every time.  I guess I just had to learn to trust that I wasn't going to gouge out my own eyeballs.

Everyone I know who's had laser surgery has been very happy with the results.  Cost-wise, I think I'd rather pay $4,000 once for the procedure than have to spend a few hundred dollars every year on new lenses, disinfectant kits, and updated prescriptions.  Too bad I don't have any vision insurance.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Pierced Glasses
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2006, 09:04:01 pm »

I've never had or seen a vision plan that would cover the surgery. In fact, many plans cover a yearly exam and one pair of glasses only. A really good plan might cover contact lenses.

Your best bet for saving money on the surgery is if you have a medical reimbursement account - I think that's an allowable expense.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pierced Glasses
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2006, 01:25:41 am »

I've never had or seen a vision plan that would cover the surgery. In fact, many plans cover a yearly exam and one pair of glasses only. A really good plan might cover contact lenses.

Your best bet for saving money on the surgery is if you have a medical reimbursement account - I think that's an allowable expense.

You can also use Flex Spending for laser surgery if your company offers that.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Pierced Glasses
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2006, 08:37:43 pm »

My SO's health plan covers laser eye surgery, I suppose health plans here in Canada are better since all the basic health stuff is covered by the government.  Unfortunately I am what is known as "a poor candidate" for the surgery - I have dry eyes, so dry that I can just barely tolerate contact lenses - the optometrist describes my eye as porous, whatever that means.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Pierced Glasses
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2006, 11:01:17 pm »

As for the discomfort, it took me a good 20 minutes to get my contacts in when I was still getting used to poking myself in the eye.  Now I get them in and out on the first try every time.  I guess I just had to learn to trust that I wasn't going to gouge out my own eyeballs.

I've always been happy with glasses, so I don't eff around with contacts, but when I performed the eye dissection lab it was pretty obvious that there is nothing overly delicate about the eye.  Things look like you could make the gentlest incision, and they would split open, but that just ain't the case.  You have to seriously dig in with the tip of a scalpel, basically full strength, to even get in there.  Probably fifty times tougher than skin.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pierced Glasses
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2006, 11:05:43 pm »

I've always been happy with glasses, so I don't eff around with contacts, but when I performed the eye dissection lab it was pretty obvious that there is nothing overly delicate about the eye.  Things look like you could make the gentlest incision, and they would split open, but that just ain't the case.  You have to seriously dig in with the tip of a scalpel, basically full strength, to even get in there.  Probably fifty times tougher than skin.

Yes, I can corroborate this statement with my experience in the science lab. We all got our scalpels and expected to cut the eyes open like marshmallows, but like you said it is incredibly tough. Ten minutes of impatient cutting eventually caused the eye to burst, spurting black liquid all over the table. Cue excited teenage screams. Some of the eyes still had bits of face attached, and as a comparative exercise we tried cutting through both. Skin is like paper compared to the ocular instruments.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up