Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]  (Read 6425 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« on: May 21, 2006, 09:08:24 am »

I don't know whether to praise this disc or not.  I can't decide.  I don't like the first part of the disc at all, but it takes a turn for the much better near the middle and remains good throughout, but leaves me with a feeling of sadness that makes me not want to listen to it again. 

It started slow for me because I've decided that I just don't like TMBG.  I'm sorry about this, but it's the truth.  I've heard enough of their music to decide that It just don't do it for me.  Wombat's disc starts off with Mammal by TMBG which is basically a dispasionate reciting of various characteristics of mammals.  It's followed by Jackie Dressed in Cobras which is possibly my least favorite of the  New Pornographers songs I've heard.  Basically a by the numbers power pop number that doesn't really go anywhere.  That is followed by Bare Naked Ladies which sounds like every other Bare Naked Ladies song.  The singer gets lots of fan mail in the form of postcards of chimpanzees.  Is there more to this song that I am missing?  Bruce weighs in with one of his most inconsequential songs and thus endeth the animal portion of the mix.  This is followed by several songs intended to be humorous, but didn't make me laugh.

But then suddenly the mix gets decidedly better when we hear the sweet voice of our own dear Wombat lamenting the pain of unrequited love.  This is followed by Ilene Weiss which sets the tone for the rest of the mix.  Heartbreakingly beautiful, but terribly sad music.  The Roches try to reassure us that we'll always have the true love of music, which is followed by a much better great New Pornographers song.  Next is my current favorite The Short Answer by Billy Bragg.  I can personally relate to this song as I know what it's like to lose someone you thought you were meant to be with.  She should have been the Last instead of just the latest is a perfect line and Bragg delivers it with such melancholy it chokes me up when he sings it.  But then Springsteen reminds us that even when you get the girl of your dreams it doesn't work out the way you want it to.  Which is followed by Reason to Believe which is just simply a great song and I am digging on this live version.  I think it may be even better than the original.  As I sit here in Price UT, I too am waiting for the great leap forward.  I hope it comes soon.  The disc concludes with a quartet of songs about mortality and the afterlife (or lack thereof).  They are all good numbers, but they leave me needing some escapist fantasy as a chaser.  So let's recap.  Love will only break your heart, the one you want will get away from you, and even if you catch him/her you will be disappointed.  The world sucks and we are stuck here, but when you die you will either go to hell or simply go to dust.  Excuse me while I go shoot myself in the head.

So in summary I'd say that the first part of the mix is pretty meh, but the second part is frikkin' great except for the fact that it makes me want to cry.  Did you mean to make it so sad?

Thank you for the mix Wombat.

~Paul

Footnote:  Judy, your review is coming soon.  Yes Q, your mix arrived while I was away, I'll begin listening to it starting tomorrow.  Also, Starlight, your mix arrived as well, looking forward to it very much.  I'll be finishing my own mix very soon.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 12:54:36 pm »

It seems, when I try to make Paul laugh, he does not like it, but when I make him sad, he is happier? 

You're welcome, or I am sorry, I am not sure which!

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 01:16:37 pm »

That is a pretty good review: completely honest and frank and all. I look forward to my review in which my taste in music will probably be torn to shreds, pissed on and burnt (at the same time). And I'll like it! Either way, respect to Paul.

Wombat, is it too late to order your mix? I sort of missed it first time round, and it sounds too interesting to miss out on forever. It'll be up to your discretion anyhow.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 02:25:40 pm »

I am happy to send my mix to anyone at any time. If you would like to reciprocate with a mix that would be most welcome. If you would like to reciprocate with knickknacks, postcards etc featuring your native fauna, that is also excellent.  If you would like to never get around to reciprocating with anything, I will probably not notice. PM me with your address.

I hope it does not make you cry, I had really only intended to evoke a sort of satisfying feeling of melancholy.  Perhaps you will cry less if you find the first part as amusing as I had hoped. Because of course it is the funny which makes us resilient enough to face the suckiness of life.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 03:26:24 pm »

hm. I am not sure if I am capable of making a mix cd which evokes any kind of mood or idea. I was just going to make a cd of songs that I like that you should hear.
Does this get me an F?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 07:59:42 pm »

Wow.. this is a really intricate review; nicely done.  Though I am kind of frightened for my poor mix now.


Womby's disc did not make me weepy, except the parts with Springsteen because those hurt my ears.  The rest of the mix was lovely I thought.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 09:54:53 pm »

I posted before about liking Wombat's disc.  I didn't even mind the Springsteen, for the most part.  I was kind of impressed by how good it was, actually.  Wombat to me, while a woman of urbane wit and charm, has never struck me as someone who has good taste in music.  The Springsteen of course would confirm that belief, but the rest of the disc just dashed that myth to the ground.

Nicely played, Wombat. Nicely played.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 10:33:35 pm »

Hm.. I somehow missed out on this one, too and well, I like sad stuff.  I'll get to PM'in.
By Monday, I'm going to link my mix in digital form, by the way... since a friend I had sent it to got a crack in his disc, so yeah, if anyone missed out on mine, well, I'll prob. link it in the mix thread once it's up w/description.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 05:40:58 pm »

Too much Bruce, but I have been circulating the disk.

"Postcards" is a horrific earworm. That song makes my head bob left and right every time it's on.

Also, "enormous c*ck" is making the office rounds.

Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 06:05:54 pm »

Honestly, be glad you guys don't know what 'too much Bruce' would really be like. And while Bruce will continue getting along fine with no defense from me, I would like to state for the record that I have been a fan since Before He Was Rich And Famous.  And when any of you get to be rich and famous I will still be your friend too.

I am glad that my efforts are otherwise being enjoyed.  I am pleased to be full of surprises for Jough, and to entertain AD's whole office seems like a particularly fine internet accomplishment to have to my credit. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 06:16:57 pm »

is Enormous c*ck the Davinci's Notebook song? That song is pretty great.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 06:24:02 pm »

is Enormous c*ck the Davinci's Notebook song? That song is pretty great.

Yes.  Goodness gracious, I hope I don't live in a world with more than one song called "Enormous c*ck," do I?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 06:26:03 pm »

Yes.  Goodness gracious, I hope I don't live in a world with more than one song called "Enormous c*ck," do I?

I don't think so, but there was that "Detachable c*ck" song by King Missle a while back.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 07:14:29 pm »

I don't think so, but there was that "Detachable c*ck" song by King Missle a while back.

I thought of that song, too.  Interestingly enough, there appears to be a Wiki article for everything.  The best part: "Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow."
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Mixdisc: The Voices in Wombat's Head [Wombat]
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 07:23:41 pm »

I thought of that song, too.  Interestingly enough, there appears to be a Wiki article for everything.  The best part: "Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow."

Whew!  Thank you for bringing that to my attention!  I've never actually finished the song, but because of Wiki's efforts my experience will not be ruined!  I just can't wait to find out just what happened with the tricky detachable c*ck, I'm certain it will be a surprise indeed.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up