Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter  (Read 4781 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« on: September 12, 2003, 03:06:50 pm »

It's dead John day today.

Cash had been ill for awhile (and now featured in Achewood more than once) but Ritter is quite a shock.  His new sitcom had been doing so well, too.

His Jack Tripper character on Three's Company brought me much delight in my youth.  He'll be missed.

Now it's time to play "Ring of Fire" ad nauseam for them both.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 03:18:27 pm »

Ritter was great in Sling Blade.

And Johnny Cash... what can you say about a cultural icon.  Great man, great musician.  He transcended genres and just made great music.

He and June owned a set of my great-grandmother's china.  My aunt owned an antique store in Owensboro, Kentucky in the 80's and my Grandmother had consigned her the china to be sold.  Johnny and June came in one day and bought it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 11:58:31 pm »

I'm not much of a fan of John Ritter.  It's sad that he has died so young, but really I don't give a fuck.  Johnny Cash on the other hand is tough to hear.  We've known it was coming for a while, but still, damn that sucks.  But, he's together again with June in Heaven, if you beleve that sort of thing.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2003, 12:14:12 am »

Huh.  I kinda went the other way.  I figured Cash was pretty much no longer relevant, but John Ritter - what a loss.

I suppose I'll miss them both in different ways.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2003, 05:18:48 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Huh.  I kinda went the other way.  I figured Cash was pretty much no longer relevant


Actually, nothing further from the truth could be said.  Far from slowing down, perhaps aware that his time was short he has, for the past 10 years been working at a breathless pace producing a bounty of grade a new material.  At the time of his death he was putting the finishing touches on a 5 disc box set of new material recorded over the course of the past decade or so.  He was scheduled to go to Los Angeles in two weeks to record more new material.  In my eyes Johnny Cash is a massive figure in American music and will be missed immensely.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
Cash and Ritter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 07:42:58 pm »

If you’d lost track of the recent Cash, I’d recommend Unchained or American IV to acquaint you. He was a giant. “Who is the best musician to come from Arkansas?” is a common question down here, and someone always thinks they’ve won the contest when they say “Al Green.” Then someone else trumps them with “Johnny Cash.”

I liked Ritter too. He was a good actor. Three’s Company charmed me during my childhood, and it was educational for a young boy destined for bachelorhood.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 09:17:00 pm »

I found more people I talked to cared about Ritter dying, me, my black armband (literally) was solely for Cash.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 10:19:07 pm »

I'll take Al Green over Johnny Cash any day, and luckily the Reverend Al is still alive and going strong.

The Man in Black will be missed, but I can't say I listened to much of his work.

I have, however, shot a man just to watch him die.

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
perspective
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 01:37:16 am »

It’s interesting to hear the different perceptions. I would have thought the loss of Cash dwarfed that of Ritter. But it does depend on our individual feelings. One is music, the other is television and film, though Cash also had his t.v. shows. They were both humble. Cash performed at prisons, and made number-one albums of those concerts.

The sacred and profane collide harmoniously within the world of country-western music. ...stars like...Johnny Cash...—Roy Peter Clark
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

V-Adore

  • Guest
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 01:56:18 am »

I think the reason that Ritter got the limelight in so many people's eyes is how unexpected it was. Unless he'd been sick for a while and I hadn't noticed, Ritter's death came from out of the blue; he was relatively young and still fairly active and present everywhere. Cash seemed to have been putting his affairs in order, even though he was still recording.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2003, 03:52:35 am »

Quote from: "jough"

I have, however, shot a man just to watch him die.


Honestly, I'd have been surprised if this weren't true.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2003, 04:02:41 am »

And now Donald O'Connor.  Sheesh.
Logged

Nice Jough

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
    • http://poetryx.com
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2003, 06:01:38 am »

The Lord is calling his own back unto him.

Yay, Armageddon!
Logged
You are super!  You're a special person!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2003, 02:44:06 pm »

Quote from: "Nice Jough"
The Lord is calling his own back unto him.

Yay, Armageddon!


Well, it's certainly not the Rapture, at any rate.
Logged

Nice Jough

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
    • http://poetryx.com
RIP Johnny Cash and John Ritter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2003, 07:27:41 pm »

Not yet, but sooooooooooooooooooooon!

Yay!
Logged
You are super!  You're a special person!
Pages: [1]   Go Up