Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Milk Carton  (Read 16221 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 04:46:20 am »

What is Bovril? Is it like Marmite or Vegemite? Do you eat it on chips or something? I am shockingly ignorant of British food.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 02:50:51 pm »

Though I've never had it myself I have witnessed my father partake, he mixes it with hot water and drinks it. I believe this is the accepted method of ingestion but it is so bizzare that I wouldn't want to swear to it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 02:51:38 pm »

What is Bovril? Is it like Marmite or Vegemite? Do you eat it on chips or something? I am shockingly ignorant of British food.

-ahem-.

Bovril, formerly a beef extract, now is the trademarked name of a thick, salty yeast extract, sold in a distinctive, bulbous jar.

A spoonful of the semi-liquid paste in hot water makes a savoury drink. It can also be used as a flavouring for soups, stews or porridge, or spread on bread, especially toast.

In 1870-1871, in the war against the Germans, Napoleon III found that his armies could not 'march on empty stomachs'. Because of this he ordered one million cans of beef to feed his starving troops. The duty to provide all this beef went to a Scot called John Lawson Johnston. The only trouble was that Britain did not have a large enough quantity of beef to meet the French people's and Napoleon III's demand. John Lawson Johnston's first beef product was known as 'Johnston's Fluid Beef'. By the year 1888 in excess of 3000 English pubs, grocers and chemists were beginning to serve Bovril. In 1889, the Bovril Company was formed. 1966 saw the beginnings of Bovril's instant beef stock, followed by the 'King Beef' range of instant flavours for stews, casseroles and gravy in 1971. Bovril was based in Argentina and at the height of the Bovril empire the company owned ranches in Argentina that totalled the equivalent size of half of England, and owning over 1.5 million livestock. When John Lawson Johnston died, George Lawson Johnston inherited Bovril business. In 1929 George Lawson Johnston was recognised by the British Government and monarchy and was knighted, with the title Lord Luke or Baron Luke. The title Lord Luke is a hereditary title, which was passed to Ian St John Lawson Johnston in 1943 and Arthur Charles St John Lawson Johnston in 1996, who is one of the very few hereditary peers who was voted to remain a Lord in the House Of Lords in London, England.

The name, like many late 19th and early 20th century tradenames, comes (partially) from Latin, bos meaning "ox." The vril component of the name comes from Bulwer-Lytton's once-popular 19th century "lost race" novel, The Coming Race, in which a subterranean humanoid race have mental control over, and devastating powers from, an energy fluid named "Vril."

In November 2004 the manufacturers, Unilever, announced that the composition of Bovril was being changed from beef to a yeast extract, both in the hope of allaying fears of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), and to make the product suitable for vegetarians and vegans. According to Unilever, "in blind taste tests 10% didn't notice any difference in taste, 40% preferred the original and 50% preferred the new product."

The manufacturers also hoped to increase exports to Asian countries such as Malaysia, a primarily Muslim country whose government was becoming restrictive on non-halal meat. By changing Bovril to a non-meat base, Unilever hopes to grow sales in the country, where people enjoy Bovril stirred into coffee and porridge.

The removal of beef from the recipie has not gone without criticism, with many complaining that the new variant does not taste the same and even has a different mouth feel. One individual even set aside space on his own website to try and pursuade Unilever to re-release the old formula bovril with beef extract.

It is served at the Groucho Club and is associated with football culture, commonly being drunk on the terraces from thermos flasks in winter.

A potential serving suggestion (as seen at football matches) is to shake white pepper and maybe a little cayenne into it before drinking. It can also be spread on buttered toast and eaten in a similar way to Marmite.


In short: It's meat-flavoured paste that you can either drink or spread.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 03:00:36 pm »

Judy, I hope to christ that the above is a paste-job and you didn't just hold forth on Bovil for ten minutes.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 03:03:50 pm »

Well, you know how it is being a teen. Once you start something that gives you a good feeling, no matter how guilty it makes you feel, you just can't stop yourself.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 03:16:29 pm »

Well, you know how it is being a teen. Once you start something that gives you a good feeling, no matter how guilty it makes you feel, you just can't stop yourself.

"...and that's why my mom is always knocking on the bathroom door wanting to know what I could be doing in there for like 5 hours."
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 03:20:55 pm »

Bwahahaha! The bathroom quote was so wrong.

I have tried either Vegemite or Marmite, can't remember which. A friend of mine has an English mother and Welsh father, and so he persuaded me to try the stuff on toast when I was vegan. He said, "since you like weird food anyway, I bet you'll love this!" I didn't like it very much. And beef extract in Bovril? Whoa. I'm glad they changed it to vegan-friendly yeast instead. Although I'm sure that there will be those who will argue that the wee yeasties are indeed alive and therefore immoral to eat.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 03:24:29 pm »

"...and that's why my mom is always knocking on the bathroom door wanting to know what I could be doing in there for like 5 hours."

Five hours? Really, Q.

(For more fun on this subject matter, see the topic What Do You Do For Your Money, Honey?)


Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 04:07:47 pm »

In November 2004 the manufacturers, Unilever, announced that the composition of Bovril was being changed from beef to a yeast extract, both in the hope of allaying fears of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), and to make the product suitable for vegetarians and vegans. According to Unilever, "in blind taste tests 10% didn't notice any difference in taste, 40% preferred the original and 50% preferred the new product."

See over here that wouldn't fly. Witness New Coke which also tested much higher in blind taste tests but which lasted all of 3 days on the market.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 04:31:58 pm »

no no no, have you not read the excellent book "Blink?"

They explain, in that book, that blind taste tests are not really reliable. New Coke was the reaction to the "Pepsi Challenge" (ie: blind taste test, people always preferred Pepsi.) The reason people always preferred Pepsi in the Pepsi Challenge is that Pepsi is more initially sweet-- this results in a better first sip. However, the total "drink experience" of Coke is actually preferred by most Americans. And so the New Coke, which was really only trying to be Pepsi, failed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 04:50:36 pm »

no no no, have you not read the excellent book "Blink?"

They explain, in that book, that blind taste tests are not really reliable. New Coke was the reaction to the "Pepsi Challenge" (ie: blind taste test, people always preferred Pepsi.) The reason people always preferred Pepsi in the Pepsi Challenge is that Pepsi is more initially sweet-- this results in a better first sip. However, the total "drink experience" of Coke is actually preferred by most Americans. And so the New Coke, which was really only trying to be Pepsi, failed.

I think it also has something to do with Coke's switch from sugar to HFCS around this period. That and the fact that Pepsi tastes better and Coke is more syrupy.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 05:09:23 pm »

amen. Pepsi is so much tastier.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 06:00:33 pm »

amen. Pepsi is so much nastier.

I'm sure that's what you meant to say.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 08:05:07 pm »

I don't know why, but I dislike Pepsi. Coke all the way. There, don't I sound like a good little consumer? I hate the fact that I love Coke, because it's horribly bad for you, but I still love it. My new favorite are the tiny little 100-calorie cans. Cuter and fewer grams of High Fructose Corn Syrup, which goes straight to my ass, pitches a tent, and camps out all year.

But yeah. I initially thought that Marmite would be delicious, because yeast is in bread and in beer, so it must be tasty, right? I was wrong. Hmmm...Marmite...did they give it that name because it was Marrow? Since Bovril was beef/bovine extract...dunno, just thinking out loud I guess. I should Google before I type.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH http://www.marmite.com/hate/squeezy/
That is pure comedic gold.

EDIT2: Judy totally heisted the Wikipedia entry for Bovril.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 08:11:47 pm by linnea »
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Milk Carton
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 09:03:52 pm »

which goes straight to my ass, pitches a tent, and camps out all year.

This could easily describe a couple of guys I know just as easily.  Well not YOU specifically...er.. or me for that matter.

Oh dammit.  A chance for lechery is all screwed up by my own incompetence.  Curse you brain, you've foiled me yet again!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up