Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The first album you ever bought?  (Read 16606 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
The first album you ever bought?
« on: May 29, 2006, 11:46:35 pm »

So I was thinking about this: the first album you buy with your own money is very important, but also just as likely to be a horrible decision due to it being made while in your teens.  For instance, the first album I bought was:

Bryan Adams - Waking Up The Neighbours.

It had several singles on it that I had heard on top 40 radio and I bought it at K-Mart.  I freely admit that I had no taste at the time.  I do not know the wherabouts of this CD now; I have moved 4 times since I last remember seeing it and being embarrassed to hold it.

What was your first album?  Can it show worse taste?  I think not.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:49:03 pm »

It was Billy Joel's angriest album, Glass Houses.

Very closely followed by 'blue' Beatles greatest hits.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 12:03:51 am »

The first album I bought on my own was Green Day - Dookie.  The first album I forced my parents to buy was an Aerosmith's Greatest Hits.
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 12:04:21 am »

Queen -- News of the World

followed closely by:

Kansas -- Point of No Return
Styx -- Grand Illusion
ELO -- Out of the Blue
The Cars -- Candy-O
Pink Floyd -- Wish You Were Here

All on 8-track.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 12:07:13 am »

Also, see this thread for an earlier discussion of this question.  It starts about halfway down the page.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 12:22:19 am »

On cassette or cd?

Honestly, I can't remember which cassette I bought... maybe Warren G - Regulate?  I was into rap around my early teens.. I distinctly recall being in Target holding it.  I'm not sure if I bought any before that myself.

Probably my first cd purchase was another weird rap album.  I wish I had been in another musical phase so this would be more interesting :D
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 12:26:10 am »

It was Green Day - Nimrod.  No I'm not proud of it.  No I don't still have it.  Thank you very much.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 12:32:48 am »

I don't recall.  When did I put my own dollars down rather than just bug one of my folks for it?  Who knows.  Even then, when was the money actually mine and not money my folks gave me?  I remember buying Brother Louie by the Stories, Jackie Blue by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils and Rikki Don't Lose That Number b/w Any Major Dude by Steely Dan at the Grants Department Store across the Street from the Little York Bowling Lanes with money my folks had given me for pinball.  That's probably the first.  I would have been 12-13 at the time I guess.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 12:57:19 am »

Grants Department Store

We had a Grants.  It later became a Big K, then a Mr. Wiggs.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 01:00:42 am »

First album - Phil Collins "No Jacket Required."  Bought at the same time with Billy Joel "An Innocent Man."

First CD, many years later: R.E.M. "Out of Time"

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:24:49 am »

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 01:26:00 am »

hm. I believe it was "astro lounge" by Smash Mouth.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 01:38:00 am »

The Simpsons "Sing the Blues".

In my defense, I was pretty young at the time.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 02:09:57 am »

First CD was Pearl Jam's Ten.

I don't remember the first cassette but most of them were purchased for me, anyway.  I did have Nirvana's Nevermind on cassette before Ten though.

Also owned before those two:

MC Hammer: Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em
Buddy Holly:  Some kind of compilation
Ritchie Valens:  Some kind of compilation
The Fat Boys:  Can't remember which one (I'd recognize it by sight but can't find any cover scans)
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 05:05:56 am »

I do not remember what record or album I bought first... but I do remember the first compact disc I ever bought was.

Use Your Illusion 2. It's one of the ways I'm awesome.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up