Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The first album you ever bought?  (Read 16612 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 10:19:03 am »


Cassette: The B-52's/Self Titled

I still have them all. Me & Spouse listened to the B-52's cassette on the way to the hospital today.

I love you, Mr Asher.

My first album: Blur - Parklife.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 03:02:40 pm »

Blood Sugar Sex Majik - Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I bought it off my older brother for ten bucks when he got sick of it.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 04:59:28 pm »

The Cocktail soundtrack on cassette. Followed quickly by some beach boys album that came out around that time, then some Paula Abdul, MC Hammer, and the aforementioned Bryan Adams tape. The Dirty Dancing soundtrack was in there somewhere as well.

In other words, I was a girl in the late 80s/early 90s. No New Kids on the Block, though.

First CD? I think I got a columbia house membership when I was 14. I got Green Day's Dookie and a Hootie and the Blowgiraffe album out of that.

Best childhood music: Sesame Street Disco on vinyl. I have no idea where that is now, unfortunately.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 05:44:13 pm »

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Californication, on cassette (because I was cheap, and, in my youthful innocence, wanted to singlehandedly repopularise cassettes).
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Celebs at the RHCP show
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 06:24:56 pm »

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Californication

Did I ever mention that I saw RHCP on the Californication tour and my seats were situated on the right side of the stage.  I didn't have a very good view of the band, but I could clearly see Rick Rubin, Chris Rock, and Christina Ricci all sitting on the side of the side of the stage just behind John Fruscante's guitars taking in the show.

Pretty cool show too, but they were better two years later on the By the Way tour, they improvised more.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 08:38:37 pm »

Can't remember the first album I actually bought, but I know the first "real" rock record I got: Iron Maiden's Killers, from a friend for my 10th birthday. Still have that vinyl, though nowhere to play it.
Yes, I Was a Pre-Teenage Metalhead.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 08:40:25 pm »

man. Californication was the first record I bought entirely to impress someone else (a girl). I distinctly remember my thought process: "hm. I have enough money for one cd. And I really want this Led Zeppelin record. But... Erin would think I was cool if I bought this RHCP CD!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 01:29:41 am »

I'm not sure whether I actually bought these two at the same time, but my first two album purchases for myself were Semisonic's Feeling Strangely Fine and TMBG's Severe Tire Damage, neither of which I am ashamed of. Very shortly thereafter I purchased Fastball's All the Pain Money Can Buy, which I am sort of ashamed of, actually.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 03:39:04 pm »

i clearly remember purchashing a cassette of Genesis' abacab, but i do not recall why i chose that tape.  i don't know who paied for it.

it was several years later before i purchased another tape, in a mall, in virginia, at, possibly, a Sam Goody's.

Rush's 2112 and Led Zeppelin's "4" were both mine from the discount cassette rack.

i wish i owned a ***** who could take all my boxes of cassette tapes, and eat them, defecating a more permenant storage media containing the sounds of those tapes.

and then,
the ***** could help me build a puppy.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 04:07:03 pm »

i wish i owned a ##### who could take all my boxes of cassette tapes, and eat them, defecating a more permenant storage media containing the sounds of those tapes.

and then,
the ##### could help me build a puppy.

That would be the most awesome ***** ever.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 04:21:14 pm »

i wish i owned a ##### who could take all my boxes of cassette tapes, and eat them, defecating a more permenant storage media containing the sounds of those tapes.

Forget *****s, you need to get in on cassette/##### synergy.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 02:35:05 pm »

My first self-made music purchase was the Miami Vice soundtrack on cassette from a Gold Circle.  I didn't buy much after that until I started my adolescent rebellion and had to procure on my own the music that my dad hated.  De La Soul, 3rd Bass and Public Enemy, allz.  Those tapes were my soundtrack from age 12 to 16 or so, and then the Alt Rock took over hardcore and I signed up for Columbia House.
Logged

Apple Gerl

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
    • my myspace, boring as hell
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 11:57:22 pm »

First album i ever bought was Hit Machine 14, which was also my ex-bf's first. It had BOTH VERSIONS of the macarena.
BOTH. You can't beat that.

Can't beat MC Hammer though. Hammer time.
Logged
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our nation together!

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 06:17:56 pm »

A Hall and Oates live cassette.

I regret NOTHING

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: The first album you ever bought?
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 08:19:32 am »

First cassette I got my parents to buy me was by a Finnish rockabilly band none of you have ever heard of (Teddy & The Tigers, if you must know). In 1981 I think.

That was closely followed by Stray Cats' self-titled debut.

First cassette bought with my own money: Music From The Elder by Kiss.

First album bought: Rocket To Russia by Ramones. Either that or End of The Century by same.

First CD bought: either Welcome To my Nightmare by Alice Cooper or the Creeping Death/Jump In The Fire CD EP by Metallica.

Nothing to be shamed of there, methinks  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up