Hey jough - that hard up sucks the big cock, and I'm basically right there with you.
If it makes you feel any better, all the medical types have finally come to agreement and I found out on Monday that I am
not dying but that I have osteoarthritis with non-specific rheumatoid symptoms. It is a degenerative thing, and X-rays as early as from when I was 16 already showed that parts of my spine are wearing down, and the pain in my hips, knees and feet are such that sometimes walking is hard already. This basically means I am on the road to becoming crippled, and already far down the road to living the rest of my life with chronic pain. The disease has had a very early on-set in me as most people get diagnosed in their late 30's - 60's, so the overall prognosis is not good. On top of all this, I already have another autoimmune disease which requires constant monitoring. I've spent a few days imagining my future in a wheelchair... Also I've been put on some terrifying medication that is meant to alter my brain chemistry to force to into deep sleep. Apparently even though I live day to day without taking pain killers (I am apparently insane to do this), when I sleep my level of pain is so high that it's probably interrupting my ability to get into REM state.
Sooo, after taking a few days to mourn the things that are the way they are, I've come to the conclusion that all I have is now, that right now isn't so bad, and that I want as much of right now as possible. This means creating an action plan. After the past 6 months of being in and out of doctors offices, thinking that I might be dying, I'd basically given up on healthy living. Exercising wasn't an option because I basically have the energy to work and sleep. Eating healthfully wasn't an option, again, because I don't have the energy to do it. But now I've cleared my schedule and there's no more excuses. At this point, I basically have about 75 pounds that I could lose, and I basically need to do it to push the date where I surrender to being wheelchair bound farther into the future. I know 75 pounds is less than what you're looking at, but it ain't a small number either.
I made the decision the day of my diagnosis to make my health my main job. My number one priority. I gave up directing my next project (many tears), turned down some other serious opportunities, and basically cleared my schedule for the next three months. I have to work half days in June here at the office, but for July and August the only thing I will be doing is bettering myself. It's not going to be easy financially, but I don't really care at this point.
Like you, I know that diets are pointless. We're both smart enough to know what's bad: prepaired, high fat foods, and what's good: fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, etc. And there's no point in flushing money down Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig's toilet. So I went here:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/fg_rainbow-arc_en_ciel_ga_e.html (I'm sure your country has a similar guide) to get the actual numbers for servings and portions and recommended exercise. I put it into chart form, printed out weekly copies for the next three months, and have this week magnetized to the fridge. And in fact today is my start date. June 1st. So far, I've taken an hour walk to work and I've eaten a bran bar and an apple - a check under grains, a check under fruits and veggies and a check under endurance exercise. I basically have no interest in counting calories. For me it's all about avoiding the fatty and pre-prepaired foods and proper portion controle. I know that if I get in 5 fruits and veggies a day, five servings of grains and deal with proper portion controle for the other stuff - that I'll be full and I'll be on my way to a healthy weight.
The other big thing is exercise and mobility. As for your exercise struggles, all I can tell you is that I am in severe pain most of the time, but that I'm up for the challenge now that I see that wheelchair in my head, so maybe now if you're seeing a tombstone in your head, you've got the impetus to suffer for the greater good. Even though I'm super embarrassed, I'm going to be joining up an aqua-aerobics classes at the YMCA. It'll be me and 10 old ladies in a pool. Basically, if you're carrying around too much weight or have pain issues, water exercise is your friend - this is what many a doctor has told me. More than anything else, the YMCA is a major tool for me, and maybe something you might want to consider. Check out if your local Y has a pool or
elliptical trainers . An elliptical trainer will be your best friend - it's a no impact workout, but you can work as hard or as gentle as you want to without hurting your ankles or other joints. Even though almost every joint from my lower spine down is degraded and painful, I can usually go for 30 minutes on an elliptical trainer with no serious pain.
Finally, healthy competition, for me is a really good motivator. Do you want to join me in a competition of some sort? I am all over making some sort of friendly wager... let say, we both set a reasonable (nothing to easy, nothing too hard, approved by the other person) weight loss/ fitness goal for September, and the loser has to donate $50 to a charity of the winner's choosing? If you are the winner it would be fine with me that my donation go to this board, and if I am the winner, I'd like to send the $50 to arthritis research. What do you say? I'd even invite other board members to bet on us if you're up for it. I'd even do the unlady-like thing of revealing my current weight to the entire board if it was necessary. I can't get too skinny though - the SO would be mad if I lose my giant boobs.
We can do it man, come on!