Mite is definitely right about the water thing. We all need to remember to keep hydrated if where pushing our metabolisms harder and sweating more. I've had one of those indestructible Nalgene bottles you get at sports/mountain climbing stores for ages, and have found that I need to drink 1000ml to 2000ml's of water per day.
In regard to the side dishes issue: because I used to be vegetarian, I've continued to plan my meals around a main vegetable, and then add on either meat or a meat substitute. Since vegetables are only in season at certain times of the year, re-framing your thoughts to figure out the vegetable first might make the whole process easier for some- it does for me. I have a lot of trouble with the grains part of the meal. I especially want to eat whole grains, and for breakfast and lunch that's easy - fiber based cereal or bar for breakfast, and whole wheat bread/pita for lunch - but what about dinner? Any ideas of healthy grain dishes for dinner? How many of you think starchy vegetables are an okay substitute? Are there ways to prepair corn and potatoes in a way that is actually edible without butter or oil? I was thinking maybe it's better to just eat protein and veggies at dinner and have a light-starch based snack later at night.
I'm off to go grocery shopping today with my new frame of mind. I'm looking forward to exploring, and will make sure to eat breakfast before heading out. Life Lesson: Do not go grocery shoppint while hungry. If you do, and if you're me, you will find almost everything looks good, and that you forget to purchase with and actual meal plan in mind.
Also, jough, thank god you don't deep fry at home. My SO and I have always talked of this as a line that should never be crossed. I don't know how anyone can own a deep fryer. It would definitely be dangerous for me. This is how my brain works: "these vegetables would be so much tastier if I toss them in tempura batter and deep fry them!" or "this barely-nutritious bland-o chicken breast needs a crispy batter to make it palletable!" In deed, it's the road to hell for me.
When it comes to the passing out thing... all I can do is restate Mite's advice about staying hydrated and my own note about whole grains. All I know is that if you're eating whole grains for the bulk of your carbohydrates, that these things are digested slowly, which equals moderate, more even blood sugar, where as, say, your average standardized slice of white bread will give you a big blood sugar jolt, then leave you high and dry, and possibly dizzy. Just take care of yourself - take rests when you need them, start figuring our your boundaries. You and I are under a lot more psychological stress than we may realize, and that also seriously takes it's toll too. (AD I appreciate your advice to tend to my whole self - that's good truth-speaking). Last night I had and argument with my SO, who was trying to feed me a cashew. I said "no! I'm counting those out for portion controle! Leave me alone!" and shortly after burst in to tears.
Thankfully I'm surrounded my artist hippies most days who are all about proper care of what they call their "instruments" - yeah, actors call their bodies their "instruments" - maybe it's a little cheesy, but it's also a good metaphone to think about before putting something in your mouth, or sitting on the couch all night: Is this how I want to treat my instrument?
It's funny, for me, I was force-dieted from the age of 7 through adulthood, and then surrounded by a community of very health conscious people for the entirety of my adult life thus far. I am very well educated on healthy eating, proper nutritional balance and healthy exercise practices, yet I've failed until now to actually apply this knowledge to my self in a healthful way. Why? Probably an act of rebellion against my mom. You denied me food through-out childhood? Well fuck you, I'm eating this entire back of chips! You denied me love? Well fuck you, Colonel Sanders won't reject me! You made me feel lonely by being cold and un-giving? Well fuck you, this burger and fries is warm and will keep my company!
How fucked up is that? Holy shit! I need to come back and read that last paragraph everyday for the next week. It's amazing how the conscious part of my brain is able to see this, but how my subconscious is still hardwired to work this way no matter what. I know it is possible to change the wiring. I managed to rewire the part of my brain that told me I don't deserve love or personal success, and have both now, so there's got to be a way to rewire this other part of my brain too. I just need a mantra.