In regard to the competition/wager/off track betting aspect of all this, I propose the following:
We each set a reasonable goal for ourselves, that we personally feel will be highly challenging but not impossible, which we hope to reach by a mutually decided upon date in September. S/he who reaches and/or exceeds said goal by the most tangible measure on this date would be the "winner," s/he who fails to reach said goal by the most tangible measure on this date is the loser and must donate$50 dollars to the charity of the winner's choice.
As for everyone else who falls in the middle , what do we want to do? We could say the middling people can bask in the glory of mediocrity, or all those under the "winner" could all be declaired losers, meaning that everyone that participates, but the one winner, are all losers and have to donate. We could have the board vote on who the winner/loser is based on stated goal vs results.
My goal for September, as I noted before is: to have lost at least 20 pounds and be able to run three miles in under 30 minutes on an elliptical trainer. This is not to say that the working-toward-wellness goal wont be on-going after September (i.e. for me I hope to lose and additional 50 pounds or so in the long term), but that during the entire summer, anyone who wants to participate, will have a specific goal they can focus on/compeat for. It's a jump start toward a healthier life.
Jough, it's definitly best that you wait on all your doctor's results before setting a specific goal, but I'm sure after all the tests are in that your doc will want to set some goals for you anyway, and that you want to set some goals for yourself. Once you know what's up, I'm sure you'll feel a little less overwhelmed, and can start thinking positivly about your future. For you, a big victory could probably be a physical feat, like walking to a certain location that you chose and back - some distance that you can't walk now, but that you think you might realistically achieve in 3 months with steady effort toward the goal.
Anyone who wants to be part of the wager, I propose we all trust each other to set our own reasonable personal goals, that we state them here, report back regularly, and also trust each other that we report back our September results honestly. For me anyway, it's more about working toward something, with a specific goal and a clear negative result if I fail (for me $50 is
a lot of money, and being confined to a wheelchair is a scary fate that I want to put off).
Also, for anyone who worries about spending too much time at the computer, got to
this website. Even though the clock leaves out a lot of other important factors, once you have your death clock, it's really scary to actually see seconds of your life ticking away. The clock says I'm dying on Monday, Dec 9th, 2052. I'm interested in checking back in September to see how much the date's changed.