Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 104563 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2006, 07:15:05 pm »

Of course contacts add weight, just like socks, unshaven hair, earrings and anything else you weren't born with. I recommend cutting your toenails first also.

This reminds me of the high school wrestling team. I remember one guy had not only been spitting in a cup all day, but made sure to hit the bathroom right before weigh in. While on the scale he had to take his underwear off but was still .1 over. So he exhaled really hard and made weight.

The saddest part is that we were already being allowed 2 extra pounds because snow had closed all the schools for like a week leading up to this.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2006, 07:44:41 pm »

You should post that story on The Saddest Thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2006, 08:21:42 pm »

This reminds me of the high school wrestling team. I remember one guy had not only been spitting in a cup all day, but made sure to hit the bathroom right before weigh in. While on the scale he had to take his underwear off but was still .1 over. So he exhaled really hard and made weight.

The saddest part is that we were already being allowed 2 extra pounds because snow had closed all the schools for like a week leading up to this.

Jesus H. Christ, that is crazy. I just read Marya Hornbacher's book Wasted, and that totally sounds like something that she would do. Then again, she also got down to like 55 pounds in between hospitalizations due to anorexia nervosa, and almost died like a million times. She (and other anorexics) would abuse laxatives so that they would be shitting water and blood. AWESOME!  :P
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2006, 08:40:59 pm »

yeah wrestlers are insane.

I am remembering pete and pete.
where the guy, if I understood it correctly, was taking a razor to his excess fat.

maybe I was too young to understand what actually was being done.
but from that day on, I was terrified of wrestling.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2006, 08:46:52 pm »

yeah wrestlers are insane.

I am remembering pete and pete.
where the guy, if I understood it correctly, was taking a razor to his excess fat.

Yeesh, no one I knew did that, but High School Wrestlers are certified certifiable.   I watched a guy at a tournament lose over 10 lbs in water weight by running for several hours in a garbage bag suit.   

I've dropped several pounds like that before a match.   It was horrible.  You just can't be effective.   Better to wrestle the weight you're at.   I know it builds character and all that, but I can't believe some times that coaches will let wrestlers do that.

My high school wrestling coach was a name named "Cash Stone".   That's a superhero name right there.  The man had the attitude and the build for it.   He past retirement, and still going.   He would do everything the teenagers were doing, and heap more on. 

Simply and amazing man.    If you've ever watched the movie "Visionquest", he's got to play the part of the ref in the last big match.   (Visionquest was filmed here in my hometown.)
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2006, 10:18:21 pm »

Whoa! Drama! Jough, I'm glad you're doing something about your weight. I know you're a cranky old man at heart, but you ain't old for real, which means it's wrong for you to die before your time.

Smells, I'm awfuly sorry to hear about what you're going through now, though at least you live in one of those civilized countries that has universal health care. At this point I must confess I'm one of those foolish optimists (it's more of a defensive possition against reality, really) that won't believe a cause is lost until it is. That's why I'm hoping Science will one day find a cure for what ails you.

I'll be rooting for everybody here who is trying to improve themselves. I myself have been trying to spend less time on the internet, which is why I haven't been around lately, though I may have to check in a bit more often just to see how everybody is doing.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2006, 11:55:51 pm »

Yeesh, no one I knew did that, but High School Wrestlers are certified certifiable.   I watched a guy at a tournament lose over 10 lbs in water weight by running for several hours in a garbage bag suit.   

I've dropped several pounds like that before a match.   It was horrible.  You just can't be effective.   Better to wrestle the weight you're at.   I know it builds character and all that, but I can't believe some times that coaches will let wrestlers do that.

Uh, in the athletic rule book that's actually considered worse than shooting steriods in the middle of a game while sodomizing the ref's mother. And if they can prove the coach knew about it he can basically never coach again.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Dying
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2006, 07:36:34 am »

I haven't really lost anything, maybe a pound, but the belt has gotten a little looser, so that is a decent sign.

The "drop a weighted object onto your testicles every time you eat sugary snacks method" is working pretty well.  I had to administer the treatment twice this week.
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2006, 12:09:04 pm »

Ouch.

I just got a diet aid in the mail, in the form of a picture my sister took while she was visiting, in which I appear to have really unpleasantly vast.... tracts of land.   I suspect that this is an unfortunate combination of a particular bra, shirt, and posture while wrangling a toddler and a pug to sit for a picture with me.  But anyway I think I will hang it up and have another look whenever I think of ice cream.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2006, 11:49:41 pm »

The author of this book on nutrition was interviewed on NPR tonight.  It sounded like it might be just the thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

looksikin

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2006, 03:10:31 pm »

Yeah that sucks man.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2006, 04:24:27 pm »

Yeah that sucks man.

Yeah, you need to be more specific, there have been maybe 50 main points in this thread.  Use the quote tag or something.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2006, 04:37:12 pm »

Quote
everything that anyone said about their health problems
dude, that sucks.

Quote
everything that anyone said about getting in shape, getting healthy, losing weight, sticking to their goals
awesome, man! congratulations!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2006, 01:24:10 pm »

Hey people, I'm a girl in need of help.

Hiow do you deal with life when you are at the mercy of other people's food?  I find that when I go out of town to visit family for the day that they serve the most unhealthy and unbalanced meals (and insanely delicious).  The amount of vegetables served to a group of 10 people is usually equal to two cups of some vegetable bathed in a fatty sauce.  These family members would take high insult to me bringing my own food, or turning down their food.  It seems my only option is to eat almost nothing and be starving for the whole day, and I do not like this option.  I'm even thinking of eating a huge breakfast before we leave to help keep me from eating what they serve.  I sort of think I just need to accept these visits as a loss, and spend the rest of the week working extra hard to make up for it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 01:38:51 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2006, 01:37:29 pm »

Eating the huge healthy breakfast and then very SMALL portions of the insanely delicious food sounds like the way to go.  Have you ever seen one of the posters of the USDA portion size guidelines? One is here.  The amount of pasta the size of a computer penis in particular makes me want to weep.  But, these would be good to have in your head while you are faced with the relative's food.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40   Go Up