Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 104658 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2006, 02:30:39 pm »

I was thinking that maybe on the upcoming board anniversary we could reset everyone's cans to zero, sorta like erasing Original Sin and giving everyone a clean slate.

The entire membership would then be in a perfect state of grace, an absolute balance in the TOUAMB universe.  Does one dare disturb that balance?  What are the ramifications of giving or taking a can when everyone is equal?

I was thinking that it was interesting that the whole can thing had slipped into the background.  Trust Jough to find that boring and want to shake things up.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Dying
« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2006, 05:30:58 pm »

Does one dare disturb that balance?

Don't make me quote Eliot again.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2006, 05:32:57 pm »

Don't make me quote Eliot again.

Pfft.. like anyone has to make you do that.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2006, 05:53:50 pm »

TS Eliot? more like TSlut Eliot!

...I was trying to say you are a TS Eliot Slut.

he is pretty awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Dying
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2006, 07:18:20 pm »

TS Eliot? more like TSlut Eliot!

...I was trying to say you are a TS Eliot Slut.

he is pretty awesome.

*Slap*

No!  Now think about what you've done.

"Pretty awesome" does not begin to cover the transcendent command of the English language Mr Eliot possessed.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Dying
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2006, 07:32:27 pm »

Well Hobot, I'm going to use MY transcendant command of the English language to pronounce you:

T.S. Elislut

Hur, it rhymes.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2006, 07:38:50 pm »



"Pretty awesome" does not begin to cover the transcendent command of the English language Mr Eliot possessed.

Yes, it doesn't begin to cover how much of an insufferable prick he was either.  Too bad he was so damned good... *sigh*


Also, Hometown boy!  We few and far between river boys have to stick together I guess.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying (TS Eliot)
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2006, 07:41:40 pm »

He looked rather fit.  A good example for the thread about trying to be more healthy.

I lost 1.2 pounds at my weigh in.  Nothing like the 11.8 from the week before, but it's pretty damn good I think.  I'm doing good every day sticking to my guns and staying on program.  Gotta get more exercise though.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2006, 07:52:05 pm »

11.8?

DAAYUMM!

TS Elislut is about right.


OK, so, as long as we're on health: what is the healthy way to gain weight? For the past 18 years I've been on the "eat junk food and the good lord will provide" diet, and it has not really worked for me. I guess I need to gain muscle? I think my current track ends up with my metabolism dying, diabetis (this is how that man pronounces it. Dia-beet-is), etc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Dying
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2006, 07:57:42 pm »

11.8?

DAAYUMM!

TS Elislut is about right.


OK, so, as long as we're on health: what is the healthy way to gain weight? For the past 18 years I've been on the "eat junk food and the good lord will provide" diet, and it has not really worked for me. I guess I need to gain muscle? I think my current track ends up with my metabolism dying, diabetis (this is how that man pronounces it. Dia-beet-is), etc.

By "that man," do you mean Wilford Brimley? 

You don't get diabetes by being too skinny.  You get diabetes by looking like Mr Brimley. 

Thank you, Judy, for providing a moniker I am more than happy to adopt.  See the text beneath my avatar for proof.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2006, 08:09:05 pm »

I put in this week's weight loss into my diet software and it gave me an error:

"Please correct weight.  It is physically impossible to lose more than 2-4 lbs in a week."

Wonderful.

Anyway, my scale is nowhere near accurate, but it should be at least relatively accurate (calculating weight loss if not actual weight correctly) and I'm down 6.5-7 lbs. since last Tuesday.

Not that I can notice any difference.  I mean, I still have over 200lbs to go.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2006, 09:05:57 pm »

Hobe-- I was referring to the fact that judging by the rest of my family, my metabolism will lose all speed, resulting in corpulence. And my diet of high-fat and high-sugar foods will bite me in the ass.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2006, 10:12:57 pm »

By "that man," do you mean Wilford Brimley? 

You don't get diabetes by being too skinny.  You get diabetes by looking like Mr Brimley. 

Thank you, Judy, for providing a moniker I am more than happy to adopt.  See the text beneath my avatar for proof.

Juvenile-onset (type I) diabetics are very often preternaturally skinny. But, yeah, being significantly overweight over time can cause diabetes too. Most diabetics today are type-II, probably because of the general tendency toward overweight.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2006, 10:15:50 pm »

It's a hell of a lot easier to do what Jough is doing now than 10 years from now. In my experience, college is a great time to start - meals are cooked for you, lots of veggies available, and a free gym at your disposal. Plus you walk everywhere. So quit eating shit, do some cardio, and hit the weight room. Take a silly little 2 credit gym class in something you're interested in, and you'll be fine. You'll find plenty of gym rats who'll be more than happy to show you around.

And congrats on everybody's weight loss! I'm up slightly this week, but between stress eating and a visit from MC Menses, I'd be amazed if I wasn't. I got to bike about 12 miles yesterday, and I have a nice long walk planned for tonight, so I'm happy.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2006, 10:19:14 pm »

a visit from MC Menses,

Aunt Flo' is in da house y'all!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 40   Go Up