Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 104813 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #270 on: June 20, 2006, 05:48:52 pm »

This thread is getting very interesting.

It looks like similar goals are being approached with various methods - some are counting calories, some reduce carbs, some try to adhere to established food guidelines and it sounds like everyone is increasing their activity level. I'm also wondering if there are any significant difference between the Royal Canadian Food Pyramid and the US version which I can't remember if it is even a pyramid or not anymore.

Dunno if I am available in 2054 - I'll be 87 If I don't misplace the invitation between now and then...

Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #271 on: June 20, 2006, 06:03:51 pm »

This thread is getting very interesting.

It looks like similar goals are being approached with various methods - some are counting calories, some reduce carbs, some try to adhere to established food guidelines and it sounds like everyone is increasing their activity level. I'm also wondering if there are any significant difference between the Royal Canadian Food Pyramid and the US version which I can't remember if it is even a pyramid or not anymore.

Dunno if I am available in 2054 - I'll be 87 If I don't misplace the invitation between now and then...


It was redone last year. It's "interactive" now.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #272 on: June 20, 2006, 07:29:04 pm »

Another 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. down.

ONLY 100 TIMES THAT TO GO

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2006, 07:54:21 pm »

god jough, have some decency! Right now, you are treating that weight as your bitch. YOU ARE BENDING THAT WEIGHT OVER A BARREL, JOUGH.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Dying
« Reply #274 on: June 20, 2006, 09:36:48 pm »

While I am not embarking on any Great Plan, I may still show up in 2054, even if I have to do it as a brain-in-a-jar or a cyberholothingie or whatever. We'll laugh together about all this corporeality.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #275 on: June 21, 2006, 01:14:30 am »

I don't think most couscous is made from whole grain.  And be careful with reading the label on those cereals.  That's another thing that even if it's whole grain usually has several pounds of sweetener.

Are you sure your problem isn't that you are eating lousy bread?  Eat better bread!  Staff of life! Support your local baker!

Oh, I am a total label whore, don't you worry.  I compaired every ingredient on every cereal that claimed to be healthy in the cereal isle and chose the healthiest.  I don't like sweet cereal, so there is either very little or no sugar in any of the stuff I get.  Also my couscous is totally whole grain, and out of five different couscouses had the highest fiber content, so I'm cool.

As for bread - no, I'm just not in to bread, and never have been.  I grew up in the kind of house that never had any bread on the table with dinner - it was only used in sandwiches.  My theatre is five steps from a local organic/all natural bakery, which is rated the best bakery in the city, and I get to hear actors moan and groan about how tasty the fresh bread they're eating is.   I did re-check them out last week when I realized I wasn't getting enough grains, but nothing appealed to me, except the lemon poppy seed cake, which I decided not to buy.  I'm just not a bread girl.  I do like the way it smells though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #276 on: June 21, 2006, 01:55:07 am »

I am sort of secretly with you guys (only inasmuch as I had been planning this anyway), and I have to say that walking in the humidity here is hell of such as harder than when I was doing such in the fall.  Jeezus effin' mother.  I just did a mere hour and a half of walking and I'm damned near as tired as I was doing a 6 hour walk maybe a month and a half ago.  Some of this might be attributed to the fact that I'm not eating meat anymore and my body is still adjusting, but certainly not all of it.

Good gravy, seriously. 

Anyway, go you guys... I am cheering you all on (in secret).
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Jeepers

  • Guest
Re: Dying
« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2006, 05:27:37 pm »

OK folks,
 I'm convinced. I haven't posted for a while, (and never posted much to begin with) but always get a fairly warm reception when I do. Since you all are a good bunch of people, and more supportive than a cone-bra, I am feeling increasing pressure to get on with my own personal improvements with you.

Here's the stats: I'm 27 years old, stand 5'8" and weigh 150lb. I eat mostly vegetarian. I run 4-6 miles per week and do sit ups and pushups regularly. Weight and exercise is not my problem. My problem is that I smoke 2 packs a day and drink either (a)375ml of Whiskey or (b)one bottle of wine... every day.

I have heard that family history has quite a bit to do with your risks, and my family has a strong tradition of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, alcoholism, and as an added bonus..... every smoker in my family has developed lung cancer.
 
This shit needs to stop. I am young, healthy, and fit, but I will not continue to be so for very long if my habits continue. 

So, I'm on the bandwagon with you all, hopefully for good.


Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Dying
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2006, 05:31:15 pm »

It's a damn shame to hear that, Jeepers. Here's wishing you the best of luck in acheiving your goals.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #279 on: June 21, 2006, 05:44:14 pm »


I have heard that family history has quite a bit to do with your risks, and my family has a strong tradition of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, alcoholism, and as an added bonus..... every smoker in my family has developed lung cancer.
 
This shit needs to stop. I am young, healthy, and fit, but I will not continue to be so for very long if my habits continue. 

So, I'm on the bandwagon with you all, hopefully for good.


Holy Moly.

That's a big piece to bite off all at once. 5'8 and 150 is good, though - but two tough habits / addictions to break, especially since  you are trying to defuse a bomb that was lit long before you were born.

If you have decent health insurance, I think it may be a good idea to consider at least an intake counseling session just to get an objective idea about ways you might go about ridding yourself of smokes and over-imbibing. I don't really have any insight into whether you would clinically be considered an alcoholic or if you personally consider yourself one, but I do know that those two things can really settle into a person and are pretty hard to walk away from.

So, I'm not saying you should go into therapy or anything, but I do think you could benefit at the least from some objective professional advice about approaching quitting.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 05:53:33 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #280 on: June 21, 2006, 06:06:09 pm »

Hey Jeepers, that's a hard road too.  Kicking any bad habit is a good thing, and every day you don't smoke is another day added at the end of your life.

I've never smoked, but my dad did for ten years before he quit cold turkey. 

However, I have had a little experience kicking the drinking.  So that you don't sabotage your own success, you should know upfront that you can't even have one anymore.  It's so easy to slip at first, but it actually gets easier to not drink after a while.  Of course, this is coming from someone who's fallen off the wagon a few times.

You just have to really want to change.  If you're just doing it because your girlfriend or parents or something want you to it'll never work.  Then once you're on a roll you'll start to think such as "I could have a cigarette/drink, but I've already stayed off of it for three months now... I'd hate to break the streak..."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #281 on: June 21, 2006, 06:29:34 pm »

Holy Moly.

I'm certian you meant to say Jeepers Creepers!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #282 on: June 21, 2006, 08:57:21 pm »

Jeepers, If I may offer some advice, don't try to quit both of those habits at the same time.  I would suggest you quit drinking first.  I say this for several reasons.  One of the biggest reasons is, you'll want a smoke when you drink, but you won't necessarily want a drink when you smoke.  Another reason is, smoking is much tougher to kick.  In my experience that has been true.  I never smoked cigarettes, but I dipped skoal and coppenhagen for a few years.  I gave that up over twenty years ago and I still get the craving for a dip now whenever I see a can of skoal.  This past January marks 18 or 19 years (I've lost track) I've been sober and I haven't craved alcohol in a long long time.  Also, if you drink you're willpower will take a powder and you'll be more likely to start smoking while drunk.  Also, you'll make questionable choices about who you have sex with.


So that you don't sabotage your own success, you should know upfront that you can't even have one anymore.  It's so easy to slip at first, but it actually gets easier to not drink after a while.

This is probably the best advice you'll receive.  I realized that going in and it's the key to my success at staying sober.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #283 on: June 21, 2006, 09:04:54 pm »

Also, regardless of whether you meet the clinical definition of "alcoholic" or not, I have found that it is helpful to just tell people "I'm on the wagon." or "I'm an alcoholic" when refusing alcohol.  People may be offended, and insistent, and try to pressure you to drink, especially at first, and especially if your friends and family are all heavy drinkers.  But they're not the ones who have to feel like shit after drinking, so they can pretty much go fuck themselves.

I've had to leave places a few times when there was no enjoyment to be had without drinking.  I mean, being sobre in a roomful of drunks is boring anyway.

I used to be the only sobre one in places when I was straight edge back in my teens and early 20s.  I actually didn't drink on my 21st birthday even.  Now I look  with lament at the same scenes I used to view with superiority and amusement, and without the feeling of superiority.  Of course, this has less to do with being a recovering drunk as it does with being older and by default somewhat less of an asshole.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2006, 01:27:50 am »

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 40   Go Up