Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 105021 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #300 on: June 23, 2006, 05:09:57 am »

no, I think he was making a reference to...
a comic? am I right?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #301 on: June 23, 2006, 06:32:50 am »

no, I think he was making a reference to...
a comic? am I right?

Yes.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #302 on: June 23, 2006, 02:59:21 pm »

Paul, what do you mean you lost a pound "last night?" Did some scary psycho Kevin Spacey corner you and force you to cut off a pound of your own flesh?  If so, I am so going to find him and smack him up good.

Do you weigh your self daily?  I could weigh myself every day, but it's too compulsive for my personality type and could grow to an hourly thing.  I try to force my self to only weigh in once a week, but I caved and weighed myself  Otherwise I would get obsessive and crazy.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #303 on: June 23, 2006, 03:02:26 pm »

Paul, what do you mean you lost a pound "last night?" Did some scary psycho Kevin Spacey corner you and force you to cut off a pound of your own flesh?  If so, I am so going to find him and smack him up good.

Do you weigh your self daily?  I could weigh myself every day, but it's too compulsive for my personality type and could grow to an hourly thing.  I try to force my self to only weigh in once a week, but I caved and weighed myself  Otherwise I would get obsessive and crazy.

I lost a pound last night (Wed) at my weekly weigh in.  I am 1.0 pounds lighter than the week before.  Sorry to be unclear.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #304 on: June 23, 2006, 03:37:41 pm »

I was hoping for a funny story, with pictures, about you going to a dance club with broken air conditioning, and just dancing like a demon until the break of dawn.  That's how to lose a pound in one night.*

*but it would all be in water loss, and not "legitimate."

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2006, 03:56:53 pm »

Yeah, I lose more than a pound when I pee in the morning, but it's not real weight loss, just water.  That ain't no thing.

A pound down from the week before is good, man.  If I only lost a pound a week (which I think is doable) I'd be down to my fighting trim in less than four years.  If I could lose (on average) two pounds, well, I'd be set in half that time.

I am trying to only weigh myself once a week (on Tuesdays) but my scale isn't very accurate.  If I lean to the left I weigh more than if I lean to the right.  So I can really only count on major loss - like if I can lean either way and still show weight loss from the previous week or two weeks before, that's cool.  I tend to record the worst it does for me - the heaviest I can be by leaning.  That way I won't be disappointed the following week when I didn't lose as much or something.

This will get easier once I get below 300 lbs. and can use a regular doctor's scale.  I have one in the basement - it actually goes up to 350lbs - so that should be a better indicator.  These first 50 pounds I'm hardly even worrying about.  I expect that I'll be down that much by sometime in the fall.  I think these will be the "easiest" to lose - as long as I keep my caloric intake down and get more active (it is almost impossible to get less active than I was this winter) I'll lose weight.

It's neat, though, to actually see progress.  I can feel it, and I'm down two notches on my belt (mostly I'm sure due to loss of water retention).

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2006, 04:08:10 pm »

My new scale is so wonderful, but being digital and only going in full pound increments it sometimes dances between one number and another, and I like to tell myself that it's because I'm half a pound lighter and the scale can just not tell me that.  I still can't get over my old scale being wrong and telling my I was 11 pounds heavier than I actually am.  That is still like a magical gift, and speaks a lot to the power of suggestion, since I actually felt heavier because the number was different, and am so relieved that I don't have that extra 11 pounds to lose.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #307 on: June 23, 2006, 04:49:15 pm »

I was hoping for a funny story, with pictures, about you going to a dance club with broken air conditioning, and just dancing like a demon until the break of dawn.  That's how to lose a pound in one night.*

Well there's no dance clubs in Price except maybe this one place called Big Dogs, but I haven't been in there so I can't say for certain.

I have however been getting active almost every day.  I intend to keep that up.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Dying
« Reply #308 on: June 23, 2006, 04:56:29 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Dying
« Reply #309 on: June 23, 2006, 06:39:32 pm »

Weighing yourself in the morning, after the whizz, will give you more consistent results (it will be your lightest weight, but it will *always* be your lightest weight). Even that will fluctuate daily, but it's less likely to include the pound of vegetables you had for dinner etc. Even better is to plot these daily numbers on a graph, and then you can more easily see the pattern over time. That is if you are fixated on weight, though.

I still really enjoy the hardcore numerical approach to anything related to the body, though. My husband and I needed to lose some weight, and we went on a totally anal calorie counting plan (I printed out lists of the stuff we eat, in /100g units, and kept it in a binder on the table, and we weighed everything significant on an accurate digital scale). We both ended up losing 20 lbs, but the nice thing was that it had to work. I've been eating fairly healthy for a long time, and getting moderate and sometimes heavy exercise (usually walking at least 3 miles a day, often more intense cardio and weights too), but it wasn't enough and so I found the 'just eat healthy and exercise' advice pretty frustrating. The problem seemed to be that I was eating too much, but I never for certain that that was the specific problem until we actually kept track of it. In the end I'm glad I did it if only because now I know that I actually do have control over this process if I choose to exercise it.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #310 on: June 23, 2006, 07:51:31 pm »

we went on a totally anal calorie counting plan

Those are the worst kind.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #311 on: June 23, 2006, 07:54:18 pm »

.

I still really enjoy the hardcore numerical approach to anything related to the body, though. My husband and I needed to lose some weight, and we went on a totally anal ...Exercise...process...



Behold the power of the almighty ellipsis.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #312 on: June 23, 2006, 08:53:16 pm »

Yeah, you shouldn't be counting calories of things coming out of your anus.  You have to do it the other way.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Dying
« Reply #313 on: June 23, 2006, 11:58:38 pm »

Yeah, you shouldn't be counting calories of things coming out of your anus.  You have to do it the other way.

Well, weighing by difference is not a bad way to do it. I mean, I generally knew how much was going in too. Really I had trouble collecting the gas outputs, though. That little bag was really annoying.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #314 on: June 24, 2006, 03:44:08 am »

Did anybody else see the episode of Bourdain (I think it was the Korean one) where he was eating the chicken anuses? (ani?)
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40   Go Up