Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 104788 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #510 on: July 26, 2006, 01:32:40 am »

Christ, right. My next MixDisc will have my own interpretation of Q theme music. This is too good an idea to pass up.

Good gravy I look forward to this more than you know!

Speaking of which... I should get crackin'.  I called people Jack Sampsons!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #511 on: July 26, 2006, 02:54:46 am »

I really need to make a mix.

but so far, it is like:
8 Mission of Burma songs
4 beat happening songs
1 stevie wonder song
1 art blakey and the jazz messengers song.

basically it is the mix which is trying to do two things at once:

"look! I like a variety of kinds of music!"
"look, I really really like independent music of various types!"

also: in Dying news, I had the following exchange just now.

MOTI (mother of the inevitable): daniel, get a hold of yourself. it is not cool to be out of shape. that is not hip... it is out.
Daniel: obviously we don't hang out with the same people. most of my friends are actively trying to destroy their bodies.


also: I have realized that I have gained even more weight, and that it is all fat. I need to start biking or running or something.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #512 on: July 26, 2006, 04:25:19 pm »

My near-constant tears are suprisingly filling.

Mite:  Do you have a cat?  Your avatar makes me think you do.  Do you know that if you have a cat, that it carries the strep-throat virus without getting sick itself, but can constantly re-infect you?  I know this because my sister repeatedly got strep over and over, and on the sixth time in under a 2 year period, her doctor finally asked her if she had a cat.  Turns out her cat was carrying the infection and getting her sick over and over.  She took her cat to the vet, and I can't remember if it was an injection or pills for the cat, but it was simple and fairly painless for the cat, and sure enough, my sister never got strep again.

Also, get well soon!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 09:21:41 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #513 on: July 26, 2006, 06:37:40 pm »

Daily weigh in?  Does this mean you can now weigh yourself at home?  If so, bravo.  There was a funky $90 scale that I saw that also measures body fat and water in the body.  I thought about buying it, but it had all sorts of warnings on it about it not being for use if you are pregnant, have heart problems or have recently showered or are wet/persiring - I guess it sends a mild charage through your body to read these other things?  I had a horrified image in my head of my friend, who is both pregnant and with a pacemaker, stepping on the scale, and just, you know ruining her life.  I know the odds are pretty low of this happening, but somehow it just scared me.
I have one of those, although at half the cost. I don't think the body fat measurement is very accurate, but maybe that's because it's cheap.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #514 on: July 26, 2006, 06:52:18 pm »

Whether or not it measures accurately maybe isn't so important as whether it measures consistently. If you get a baseline and it shows you moving in the direction you want to go, it's still probably useful - but not in comparison if you get measurements from other sources.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #515 on: July 26, 2006, 09:55:09 pm »

Mite:  Do you have a cat?  Your avatar makes me think you do.  Do you know that if you have a cat, that it carries the strep-throat virus without getting sick itself, but can constantly re-infect you?  I know this because my sister repeatedly got strep over and over, and on the sixth time in under a 2 year period, her doctor finally asked her if she had a cat.  Turns out her cat was carrying the infection and getting her sick over and over.  She took her cat to the vet, and I can't remember if it was an injection or pills for the cat, but it was simple and fairly painless for the cat, and sure enough, my sister never got strep again.

Also, get well soon!

Whoa, very interesting! While strep does not seem to be the ultimate cause of my troubles, it might be part of it. I may have to look into that if I get another sore throat.

Man, I wonder if they do a throat culture of the cat. That can't be pleasant for anybody involved.

Now my mom thinks I may have a candida allergy and need homeopathic treatment, but then she's big into new age stuff and not much of a critical thinker. Right now I'm just politely agreeing with her and then not taking her advice, so not much different from normal, really.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #516 on: July 26, 2006, 10:00:02 pm »

Now my mom thinks I may have a candida allergy and need homeopathic treatment, but then she's big into new age stuff and not much of a critical thinker. Right now I'm just politely agreeing with her and then not taking her advice, so not much different from normal, really.

You mean you aren't drinking your own urine? You should.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #517 on: July 26, 2006, 11:02:31 pm »

Whether or not it measures accurately maybe isn't so important as whether it measures consistently. If you get a baseline and it shows you moving in the direction you want to go, it's still probably useful - but not in comparison if you get measurements from other sources.
Yeah, I don't think it measures consistently. I would have little to judge it on other than that, as I am inscrutably doughy.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #518 on: July 27, 2006, 01:53:37 pm »

Hearing this story this morning made me think of sideshow's question about stretching. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5584414
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #519 on: July 27, 2006, 03:52:57 pm »

Interesting.  Thanks Jorge.  I've basically been just not stretching before my runs, and I've definitly struggled with some days where my hamstrings are so tight it hurts, so I basically have to put some effort into stretching it out.  I wonder what the trainers in this article think of yoga?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #520 on: July 27, 2006, 04:25:34 pm »

I'm down 2 pounds this week.  Whoo hoo.  I've been riding my bike a lot lately.  Onward to virgin weight loss.

~Paul 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Dying
« Reply #521 on: July 27, 2006, 04:46:50 pm »

I wonder what the trainers in this article think of yoga?

If you're interested in trying yoga for the purpose of stretching, this is a good resource (despite the annoying ads and lack of pictures/illustrations).  It includes a few precautionary notes that are important, too. 

EDIT: Actually, upon re-reading the site more carefully, most of those stretches seem pretty obvious.  The warnings are the most valuable part; yoga can be great, but it can also wreak havoc on your body, particularly if you suffer from back and/or shoulder problems (as I do).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:50:53 pm by Hobot »
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #523 on: July 30, 2006, 12:50:36 pm »

"Getting exercise not easy for folks with arthritis"

In other news: fat people tend to eat too much of things that are bad for them and not exercise enough.  News at eleven.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #524 on: July 31, 2006, 03:34:35 pm »

"National Epidemic: short people have difficulty reaching things on top shelves - news at 10."

So, I managed to lose the two pounds I gained last week, and am now back on track. 

I had heat stroke yesterday, while out running errands.  I realizes I was too out-of-sorts in the grocery store, and ended up giving up on getting groceries, but stupidly still drove home from the grocery store.  I ended up grinding the side of my car into the abandoned house next door's car park.  I'm sure I did some lovely damage to the body, as my SO handed me a piece of my car's molding when I got out, but was so dazed that I just staggered into the house and slept for two hours.  Not good.

I've been feeling really drained lately, even though I've been exercising less.  It's a combination of the drought/heat wave and me working so hard on my writing I think.  I had a lot of anxiety yesterday over the play I'm directing this winter.  Since I'm self producing it,  I've got grant applications to deal with, and I'll be responsible for a lot more than I usually am... I'm stressed.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40   Go Up