Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 104741 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #540 on: August 01, 2006, 12:50:44 pm »

I have two cats, Q.  I'm heartbroken that you've never even bothered to look at my Flickr pictures.


Man of course I have.. I even commented Miss "I don't approve of Q's amazing testimonial for months MONTHS!"

It's just, in my head you're "Crazy Pug Lady"... cats don't even enter into it.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #541 on: August 03, 2006, 07:30:48 pm »

I am having problems with eating the amount I am supposed to eat.  See, I used to eat very little, and never any breakfast, but very fatty food.  So now eating all this bulk, all these veggies and grains and such, is a serious challenge. I don't have a desire to eat as much as I supposed to, but I know I should for the related nutrients and boost to the metabolism.  Especially when it comes to veggies, I'm finding it hard to enjoy them without fatty additives like butter, sauces, etc., and I'm getting pretty sick of eating salad every day.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #542 on: August 03, 2006, 07:43:33 pm »

How much are you supposed to eat? And is the diet you are using one that basically removes fat? Does it also remove carbs?

Human bodies are hardwired for fat and carbs triggering food satisfaction. If you cut out both, it's going to be challenging both to like the food you're eating and to feel satisfied by it.

Fiber makes you feel full but you don't get that gustatorial enjoyment. On the other hand, fiber cancels out carbs one-to-one so maybe you can add some carbs back in if you reduced/eliminated them for this diet.

No need to SUFFER unnecessarily to lose weight - you should still be able to enjoy eating as you progress.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2006, 08:44:05 pm »

Today was indeed my Christmas, Ash.  I had avocado sushi for lunch - not lots, just six small rolls - it's like heaven!  Oh, yes.  I basically don't restrict myself from having anything I want, just controle the portion size, but I also don't really crave things very often, so it's not really an issue.

I think in your situation, that the food was a special treat, but also a sort of freedom replacement.  And that that would make them taste all the more delicious.

When you eat it now, does it still taste as good? 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #544 on: August 04, 2006, 01:53:44 pm »

Here is a gumbo recipe that is basically hella vegetables that I really enjoy and that I've had luck losing weight with in the past. One good thing is that you can make a lot of it and not have to prepare it again.



Saute in large, heavy kettle:
1/4 c. oil or margarine
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, diced

blend in:
2 T. flour

Cook and stir over low heat until vegetables are tender.
Add:
2 1/2 c. cooked tomatoes
1 lb. frozen okra (you can use fresh, cooked okra if you want, but this is what I use)
2/3 c. tomato paste (at this point we've reached a second tomato product. I usually don't actually use paste, but often some combination of canned diced/crushed tomatoes and fresh tomatoes. I typically use one or two 29 oz. cans, so I guess it depends on how much one likes tomatoes.)
1 1/2 T. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 T. Worcestershire sauce (track down a veggie version if you want to make this dish truly vegetarian...alas, I'm not hardcore enough)
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. chili powder
pinch dried basil
1 bay leaf
2-3 c. cooked or canned kidney beans OR, for the meat-eaters, wait till it's done simmering and add the chicken

simmer for one hour
chop 1/3 c. parsley
add 2/3 c. cooked chicken for the omnivores (simmer briefly after this)

Serve over cooked rice or with bread. Garnish with parsley

Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #545 on: August 04, 2006, 04:51:17 pm »

Here is a gumbo recipe that is basically hella vegetables that I really enjoy...

This sounds really good.   Really good.  Okra is not common in Canada.  Our grocery store definitly doesn't carry the frozen stuff, I've looked before.  I did once see some fresh okra at a small African market fairly close to me... But I was uncertain what the good okra was vs bad okra.  If I do come across it fresh again, how do I choose it, and how much would I need?  Is it supposed to be crisp like a pepper when fresh?  Is the whole thing edible, or are there parts I should remove? 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #546 on: August 04, 2006, 05:00:47 pm »

I've never purchased fresh okra, but I imagine you can use the whole thing, save the stem.
Quote
When buying fresh okra, look for young pods free of bruises, tender but not soft, and no more than 4 inches long. It may be stored in the refrigerator in a paper bag or wrapped in a paper towel in a perforated plastic bag for 2 to 3 days, or it may be frozen for up to 12 months after blanching whole for 2 minutes. Cooked okra can be stored (tightly covered) in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
http://southernfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa081401a.htm
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #547 on: August 04, 2006, 10:17:41 pm »

Okra? for real?

I've only had it by itself... maybe it's not-disgusting if you put it in gumbo.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #548 on: August 05, 2006, 05:58:22 am »

Hush, now.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #549 on: August 05, 2006, 09:51:20 am »

Both pickled and fried Okra are amazing.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Jeepers

  • Guest
Re: Dying
« Reply #550 on: August 07, 2006, 03:59:18 am »

Ok, an update.

I'm back from China (I put up a post and pix link in Sports and Liesure) and have updates on my "habits" that I"ve been working on.

I have been smoking marginally less, rarely breaking 1 pack per day, but also rarely smoking less than one. I have been paying a lot of attention to how I smoke though. What triggers me to smoke (fidgety hands and boredom seem to be top culprits). When and Where I smoke most. Observations like these will help me (i hope) when the time comes to quit all together.

I have cut back a lot on my drinking, it's no longer every night, and the volume consumed is less than before. However, this has led to a couple benders where my body, sensing that something is disturbing the force, requests that I stay drunk for 24-48 hours. After that I am severely repentant, and would rank my feelings of self worth as "low". I am doing better though, despite how this all sounds.

plus i got depression

no, not really. I'm pretty happy all around. and newly single wooo!
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Dying
« Reply #551 on: August 07, 2006, 07:11:36 pm »

Wait, is this thread about okra now? Can I threadjack with an okra story? Oh, what the hell -- I'm back, and I'll threadjack if I want to.

Two years ago, my parents and I moved from Nebraska to Louisiana. This occasion resulted in some pretty classic cultural whiplash, but nothing more notable than my mother's first visit to the local supermarket, at which she encountered okra and was blown away. Okra! In the supermarket! Truly, we had arrived in the South. She immediately grabbed two individual okra units* to show me later. Once she got to the checkout, the cashier looked at her tiny bag of okra units and at her and said, in the tone of someone who is now certain they're addressing a northerner, "don't need much okra, do ya?"

The best part of this: my mother came home and still showed me the okra with pride, even having been publically embarrassed about it previously. We were terminally Northern.

* I'm sorry, but I don't know what you call an individual unit of okra.[/small]
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #552 on: August 07, 2006, 07:19:28 pm »

we sell a reasonable amount of Okra down at the Bi-Lo. normally people buy like... 20 okra. I am not sure what the singular okra is. I think it's just Okra.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #553 on: August 07, 2006, 07:41:10 pm »

Pod.  It's a pod of okra.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #554 on: August 07, 2006, 07:45:18 pm »

oh god, that seems so obvious now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40   Go Up