Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 104784 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Dying
« Reply #555 on: August 07, 2006, 07:55:59 pm »

Pod.  It's a pod of okra.

Thanks, August. I knew you or one of the many other southerners on this board would come to my rescue on this one.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #556 on: August 07, 2006, 09:53:52 pm »

Living in Chicago, frozen okra is available at every grocery store unless there is a run (this happened once, I couldn't explain it).

I don't think that this is because Chicago is Northern Mississippi--in my mind, this type of thing is pretty common most places.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #557 on: August 07, 2006, 10:29:19 pm »

V, that is the best okra story ever. (And I don't at all mean that in a way which is snidely implying that that's no big deal because of how few okra stories there are in the world, or anything.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #558 on: August 07, 2006, 11:11:47 pm »

Though fried okra is pretty good, I too find it difficult to consume when it is not part of gumbo or other soup type conveyances.  I basically only buy it as a portion of the frozen gumbo vegetable mix that I keep on hand.

Incidentally, I love having frozen vegetable mixes around.  Between that and my stockpile of stocks, I can have a decent soup going in under 20 minutes.  It isn't as good as one made with fresh in-season ingredients, but it also doesn't take all damn day.

So, go modern technology, I guess.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #559 on: August 08, 2006, 01:33:45 am »

Here's the best way I've ever had okra prepared, and I tend to enjoy it but not overmuch. The missus and I were fighting for the last couple pieces at this dinner. I'm pretty sure this recipe requires just about the freshest, perfectest okra pods that ever did exist.

Heat an iron skillet over high heat.
Split the pods lengthwise.
Put the pods face-down in the pan and leave them alone for a minute, then jiggle them around by shaking the pan. If they don't move, you've waited too long and burnt them. If they slide too freely, they aren't done.
Flip one over, and it should be caramelized but not burnt.
Remove the okra from the pan.
Serve.

Sounds simple, right? It is, and that's the beauty. That slime inside the pod mostly cooks off or caramelizes, and you're left with just the fresh taste of the okra.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #560 on: August 08, 2006, 03:05:22 pm »

Yeesh... I go away for the weekend, and the thread turns all okra on me...

Okay, so I went to the African grocery that usually stocks the okra, and they were all out of it.  Also, fried okra sort of defeats the purpose of eating okra to be healthy, doesn't it?  Also, V, very cute about your mom.  I once went to a spice place, and was very excited to see that they had lots of spices I couldn't find anywhere else, so I took tiny portions in tiny baggies provide.  I had about a dozen tiny bags, went to the cashier when I realized I only had my bank card.  He weighed my tiny bags and in total they came to $1.01.  I apologized as I paid with my bank card, and he too looked at me in such a way as to let me know I'd failed at this basic human interaction.   

When it comes to the health, I am down two more pounds.  I am also super sore from yard work, but so be it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Dying
« Reply #561 on: August 08, 2006, 09:35:24 pm »

Also, V, very cute about your mom.  I once went to a spice place, and was very excited to see that they had lots of spices I couldn't find anywhere else, so I took tiny portions in tiny baggies provide.  I had about a dozen tiny bags, went to the cashier when I realized I only had my bank card.  He weighed my tiny bags and in total they came to $1.01.  I apologized as I paid with my bank card, and he too looked at me in such a way as to let me know I'd failed at this basic human interaction.   

Ironically, this is another lesson that I learned from my mother: if it's less than $10, you should be ashamed of paying for it with a check. This doesn't necessarily mean that you won't, just that you should be ashamed of doing so. Credit cards are also right out, unless you're in a situation (you are a poor college student, or in an airport, or a poor college student in an airport) where you are buying something immediately important and have no other option.

Er, not to make this a thread about my mother's weird supermarket behavior. It just, you know, seemed apropos at the time. Carry on!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #562 on: August 08, 2006, 09:57:49 pm »

Credit cards are faster than cash now.  No counting, no change, and you can swipe your card WHILE the cashier is ringing up your order.

I always use a CC at supermarkets, and it's always faster than cash.

Your mother is just wrong.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #563 on: August 08, 2006, 10:54:07 pm »

Jough-- you can do that-- unless you're shopping at Bi-Lo. our machines flip out when people do that. I actually have to type the amount in, then hit the credit button, before people swipe their cards. People get so annoyed by this. Everyone is Pat in this situation.

a-so: if they want "cash-back" from their debit card, they have to tell me. and then there is no way to easily add it, I have to do it in my head. It isn't a problem until I make a mistake and some little old lady is mad that I withdrew 10 dollars instead of the 20 she wanted.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #564 on: August 08, 2006, 10:57:03 pm »

It can't be that hard to add 20 on to something.


I'll give you an example:    4,987.5+20= 5,007.5
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #565 on: August 08, 2006, 11:06:31 pm »

Seriously, dude. Your generation makes us very very afraid.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #566 on: August 08, 2006, 11:30:44 pm »

I used to obey V's mom's rule too.  But now at our Whole Foods, if the order is under like 20 or 30 dollars I forget which,  you do not sign when you use your credit card.  Just swipe it and go. So now it's so much faster than cash that I actually feel bad if I use cash.

I do try not to use my credit card in independent stores and restaurants when I can help it, since it costs them money.  But the hell with a big conglomerate like Whole Foods.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Dying
« Reply #567 on: August 09, 2006, 03:11:16 am »

I once charged a two dollar meal at Wendy's with plenty of cash my pocket.



Tell your children not to walk my way.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #568 on: August 09, 2006, 04:01:38 am »

I use my card at the concession stand in movie theatres.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #569 on: August 09, 2006, 05:09:03 am »

I am not saying that it is hard to add 20. what i'm saying is that once in a great while, I make a mistake. I'm sorry, I suck at math. It is not "my generation." It is just me. A dude who sucks at math. And is known to make mistakes. you're talking about the same guy who can't remember the 4-digit codes for vegetables.

THE ONLY PERSON WHO IS A SLOWER CASHIER THAN ME IS LITERALLY RETARDED.

I'm the guy who sucks. at being a cashier.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40   Go Up