Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06  (Read 19439 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2006, 01:02:43 pm »

I have never heard of The Arcade Fire.  I was just as confused as Philippe.  Thank you.

But do I get extra Obscure Information credit for recognizing that Teldin's avatar is a picture from the label of a Belgian style beer made in Quebec called Maudite, which picture is based on some interesting legend that I can't remember, thus the canoe being flown through the air in a fiery sky?

Edit: Ah, here it is:

Quote
Maudite (the damned one)... has a typically Quebecois name that is reminiscent of the legend of the Chasse-Galerie (the legend of the Flying Canoe). Legend has it that a group of lumberjacks struck a deal with the devil to fly home in their canoes, guided by Satan himself, to make it home in time for Christmas.

Who would think to ask the devil for a flying canoe?  Those wily Quebecois!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 01:07:14 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Teldin

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2006, 01:09:13 pm »

Extra credit to wombat! Maudite is one of the the only beers I like. It's brewed in the back woods of Quebec by Unibroue Breweries, is 8% (!!) and the legend goes: A bunch of lumberjacks struck a deal with the Devil to fly home in a canoe to make it back in time for Christmas. The rest of the label shows Satan leering at them overhead with a quiet little town underneath.

I doubt it's found anywhere outside of Quebec, which is where I get it from.

Edit: Bah! 2 minutes too late.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 04:52:14 pm by Teldin »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2006, 01:35:56 pm »

Actually it is indeed distributed in the US, as well of a few of their others with interesting labels.  My husband likes it because he likes Belgian beer and his parents were Quebecois so it has the sentimental value I guess.  I think Belgian beer is nasty, but I am the sort of person who picks a wine by the interesting animal on the label (a glass of Wombat Hill, anyone?) so I like it too. 

They also have one called La Fin du Monde which is another excellent name.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2006, 01:55:17 pm »

I didn't read the blogs, so wandering into this thread is like visiting Germany to me.

You people are all basically Germans in a beerhall.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2006, 01:59:27 pm »

*Puts down my ridiculously huge beerstein*


Jough, I'm certain we have no idea what you're talking about.


*whisper* Hide the hausfraus!  He's on to us!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2006, 02:02:07 pm »

Love the mention of Complex magazine.  I've received Complex since their very first issue.  Never asked for it, never paid for it, and I have no fuck*ng idea why they decided to send it to me, because I am so not their target demographic.  I enjoy flipping through it, and showing fashion-spread pictures to the wife--"Hey, imagine if I wore this!  I'd be so dope!"

Also, they have pictures of scantily-clad babes.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2006, 02:25:26 pm »

My husband likes it.

Who is this?  I know nothing of a husband.  Are you referring to the technical staff?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2006, 02:27:17 pm »

Who is this?  I know nothing of a husband.  Are you referring to the technical staff?

~Paul

Oh, no,  I've blown his cover now, haven't I?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2006, 05:41:34 pm »

Oh, no,  I've blown his cover now, haven't I?

If that's what you want to call it.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2006, 06:30:40 pm »

I don't know how I feel about Onstad admitting he doesn't like rap. Like, as a whole. Doesn't like rap. Say what you will about the Crunk business the kids listen to nowadays, but there's been some pretty great rap over the course of the past quarter century. Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, Gangstarr, etc. etc. Really, Onstad? None of those? But you like Arcade Fire enough to have one of your comic characters put one of their posters up? Really? Really?

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2006, 07:13:20 pm »

I don't know how I feel about Onstad admitting he doesn't like rap. Like, as a whole. Doesn't like rap. Say what you will about the Crunk business the kids listen to nowadays, but there's been some pretty great rap over the course of the past quarter century. Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, Gangstarr, etc. etc. Really, Onstad? None of those? But you like Arcade Fire enough to have one of your comic characters put one of their posters up? Really? Really?

Damn, even I like Mos Def (and, by perusing my last.fm page, you can easily discover why the italics were necessary).  It is pretty hard not to like the dude and his music.

In other news, Téodor is pretty late on the Arcade Fire uptake.  I'm just sayin'.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2006, 09:07:00 pm »

no, no, it was the next day.

or...
damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2006, 11:22:44 pm »

Also, inev, may I suggest that you read Tom Wolfe's "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" this summer (do not be afraid because it has the word "acid" in the title, or Kool-Aid for that matter).  I read it when I was about your age and it quickly became one of my favourite books.

why didn't you spell 'favorite' the american way

fuck*ng traitor
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2006, 11:48:32 pm »

I'm Irish, dick.

Man, fuck*ng Americans always expecting that everyone else is a fuck*ng American.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2006, 03:54:17 am »

yeah, everyone else who lives in Philly, at least...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up