Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card  (Read 9808 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 06:25:37 pm »

You will. We are making the taxpayers and social security contributors and the caregivers of tomorrow.


Well I hope your kids are going to change my diaper often enough in the nursing home then, since I don't have any kids of my own to nag them about it.  I worry about this, but it's definitely up there with the worst reasons to have kids that I can think of (the other one is that a doctor once told me that my menstrural cramps would be less bad afterwards if I had a baby.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 06:28:15 pm »


we also learned in bio class that one american child uses the resources that like 100 third-world-country kids would. So maybe it's better to not have kids.

Pffffft. What that has to do with biology I'm not sure. That's a socio-political statement and it strikes me as nothing much more interesting than liberal guilt. Of course, you can go to a third-world country to have your kids...
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 06:31:51 pm »

we were learning about "current environmental topics". Population growth, global warming, etc. We learned that birth rates are a ton higher in less-industrialized nations, but that they use fewer resources. I would call that "the truth." The amount of oil, natural gas, etc. used per American is many many times higher than in other nations.

the "so maybe it would be better not to have kids" was my own conclusion.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 06:34:39 pm »

Well I hope your kids are going to change my diaper often enough in the nursing home then, since I don't have any kids of my own to nag them about it.  I worry about this, but it's definitely up there with the worst reasons to have kids that I can think of (the other one is that a doctor once told me that my menstrural cramps would be less bad afterwards if I had a baby.)

Trust me, that was not a reason to have kids, just a response to your statement. I'm asking for euthanasia before diaper stage. Based on my experience with nursing home staff, you'll wish you had your kids around. It's not a good thing.

I have kids because I love kids, because I am confident that my kids will be successful, and because I believe families are the basic foundational unit of healthy, growing communities.

 
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 07:00:59 pm »

we were learning about "current environmental topics". Population growth, global warming, etc. We learned that birth rates are a ton higher in less-industrialized nations, but that they use fewer resources. I would call that "the truth." The amount of oil, natural gas, etc. used per American is many many times higher than in other nations.

the "so maybe it would be better not to have kids" was my own conclusion.

The way I see it, you can't use resources that aren't there. If you dropped a family from one of those places in the middle of the US, do you think they could avoid using resources at a pace far beyond the possible where they came from? It's a silly argument to say that my kids have very much choice in terms of consumption - we can reduce, reuse, recycle, try to be energy efficient, conserve gas -so maybe if we did all that we'd be only 50 times the consumption. Here's the problem - we're now at half the consumption (good) but that family over there is in the exact same place (bad) no matter how we behave over here.

Americans give a lot to charity, probably leading the world in aggregate. The US government supports more aid programs in more places than anyone as well. The idea that when my kids throw a light switch or ride a bus, somehow that costs a child in a third world country something is not only pointless but is a backwards way to look at the problem. If you feel like you help a kid in Namibia out more by switching to lower wattage bulbs than by contributing to UNICEF or Oxfam, I think you are kidding yourself (unless you saved money on your electric bill and sent that to UNICEF or Oxfam).

I you choose to have kids, raise them to be consious and understand the world, and to make a difference. I don't think that's such a bad way to approach the problem either.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 07:21:08 pm »

Overpopulation is at the heart of every major problem the world faces.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 07:44:07 pm »

The way I see it, you can't use resources that aren't there. If you dropped a family from one of those places in the middle of the US, do you think they could avoid using resources at a pace far beyond the possible where they came from? It's a silly argument to say that my kids have very much choice in terms of consumption - we can reduce, reuse, recycle, try to be energy efficient, conserve gas -so maybe if we did all that we'd be only 50 times the consumption. Here's the problem - we're now at half the consumption (good) but that family over there is in the exact same place (bad) no matter how we behave over here.

I think the problem is more systemic.  Our society is set up to consume, consume, consume.  Whether or not reducing our use of resources would help someone else, I don't think it's healthy for us.  I'm afraid that our way of life is making us fat, jaded and lonely.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 07:46:41 pm »

I think the problem is more systemic.  Our society is set up to consume, consume, consume.  Whether or not reducing our use of resources would help someone else, I don't think it's healthy for us.  I'm afraid that our way of life is making us fat, jaded and lonely.

Also, AD's argument overlooks the fact that we don't consume only our own resources, we take from the rest of the world.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 08:14:45 pm »

As for the Christian thing, it's a little odd to ask someone if they are a Christian 'yet'. I've never heard the question put that way.

I usually hear it as "Have you found Jesus?"

I haven't, but I did find a $20 bill on the street, which brought me a lot more fortune than Jesus ever has.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 09:33:36 pm »

I usually hear it as "Have you found Jesus?"

I wish someone would ask me this so I could say "Why, have you lost him?"

I didn't know there were very Christian villages in England.  This does not fit with my admittedly out-of-date mental picture at all.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2006, 09:55:35 pm »

I think the problem is more systemic.  Our society is set up to consume, consume, consume.  Whether or not reducing our use of resources would help someone else, I don't think it's healthy for us.  I'm afraid that our way of life is making us fat, jaded and lonely.

I think I can agree with that to some degree - but there was an attempt to link our lifestyle to a third world child's poverty and I don't think that is a really good connection. What I think may be true is that more people consider it a responsibility to help people in circumstances, and also that we find a way to give people good objective information about the performance of charitable organizations worldwide - that could give more confidence to people who want to give, and bring more accountability to the organizations.

I also think it's too simplistic to boil the world's problems down to a bumper sticker about overpopulation. As for overlooking our consumption pattern, I have to disagree - I pointed out that we pay for a lot or resources on a world market. We spend a lot of money for oil and fuel. We don't take resources from anyone, we even pay for oil from Iraq, where it would be most likely we could take it if we wanted. The problem is not that we are running around stealing from people - we don't now, and even in the 19th century and the run-up to WWI, we weren't doing it on even close to the scale that the powers of Europe were doing it during the empire-building phases of the UK, Germany, Belgium and France.

Sadly, none of this will prevent Linnea from going into early menopause.

Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2006, 09:57:25 pm »

I think I only just convinced my family that I didn't get married "under circumstances", since it has now been roughly 9 months since we eloped, and I do not have a screaming banshee in my arms right now.

That shook my mom up enough, so it should be a long time before I get the grandkid pressure.

I worry about it, though. There never seems to be a good time, you know? Of course, as I think Dawg said once, you're never ready, you just have to do it. I think I still have to wait until the grad school is mostly done before I start popping out the kids.

And though liberal guilt has made me really want to be an adoptive/foster parent rather than contributing to overpopulation, my biological drive is just too strong to not at least try to have kids the old fashioned way. It's rare that I recognize evolutionary pressure in my everyday life, but my urge to propagate my genes is just too damn strong to head straight for adoption.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 11:44:26 pm »

I don't think you have to feel bad about not wanting to adopt.  I mean, we're not talking about a puppy here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 11:56:25 pm »

I don't think you have to feel bad about not wanting to adopt.  I mean, we're not talking about a puppy here.

Oh, so I'm a puppy now, am I?

Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Mom wants grandkids, plays the "early menopause" card
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 12:12:28 am »

Oh, so I'm a puppy now, am I?



If it makes you feel better cort, I think of you as more of a mongrel.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up