Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums of Today  (Read 6652 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Albums of Today
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:23:28 am »

Recently I heard two great albums of 2006.   I was excited, as I haven't really found anything that good from this year.  Anyways, the albums are Gnarls Barkley- St. Elsewhere and Starlight Mints- Drowaton.  What are your favorites of 2006?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 02:21:21 pm »

Band of hosss - Everything All The Time
Charlatans UK - Simpatico
Gomez - How We Operate
Soul Position - Things Go Better With RJ and Al
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

I also like the Arctic Monkeys record, but they've been on SNL so I don't feel a need to point them out.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 03:00:21 pm »

Recently I heard two great albums of 2006.   I was excited, as I haven't really found anything that good from this year.  Anyways, the albums are Gnarls Barkley- St. Elsewhere and Starlight Mints- Drowaton.  What are your favorites of 2006?

I bought Gnarls Barkley and I wasn't too enamoured. I will give it further chances.

Hot Chip have just released a pretty good album.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 06:16:08 pm »

I didn't want to like Gnarls Barkley as of my thinking it was a big pile of hype (In my defense, I did not know who was involved). Then I heard a 7 second snippet of "Crazy" by accident. Then I had to have it. Adore it.

Also swell: The new Paul Simon, "Surprise". Russian Circles "Enter".

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 06:25:16 pm »

I do not own a single CD which has been released this year.

Considering my age, I listen to an awful lot of 80's music (ie: the good stuff. not the crap stuff). Most of my CDs are more recent, though, as it is hard to find the bands I like around here.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 06:30:06 pm »

A can, however, for your Roy Orbison listen.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 06:39:43 pm »

Fuck Albums of Today.  I'm rockin' Albums...  Of Tomorrrow!


That 26th Radiohead release is pretty good but it sounds a lot like the 15th, you know what I mean?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 07:03:39 pm »

How did I forget to include Rabbit Fur Coat by Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins?

It's really good slow alt-country and I should be shunned for leaving it off my first list.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 07:48:31 pm »

Though I've only listened to it a couple times, I have so far greatly enjoyed Mogwai's Mr. Beast.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 09:28:33 pm »

Oh, sweet baby JESUS. I just bought Prince's new album last night. I am thoroughly disappointed, especially after my hopes were so raised after Musicology, which effing rocked. Anyone else heard it? I am not very good at describing music. There is a lot of cheezy 1980s effects to the vocals, and the whole thing just depressed me.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:33:14 pm »

I have it, but I actually haven't listened to it yet.

He did a song on SNL that I thought rocked the cock, but I don't know the name of it.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:44:57 pm »

Whoa! My sister saw Prince on SNL and said that he looked "tired, really skinny, and old. It was just sad." What did you think? She was not impressed by his performance on SNL. However, I adore Prince, so I think I might've enjoyed his performance. ALSO, Neighborhoodies has an AWESOME Prince-head-option that you can get on any item of clothing that they make. I am so tempted to get one.

Oh man, speaking of other albums. Has anyone heard Sia's "Color the Small One"? Apparently it was released like five million years ago in Britain, but it just got released here. I heard it the other night on my favorite radio station and initially thought it was Tori. I emailed the station and found out that it was not Tori. Then I found a hilariously snarky review of Sia on Amazon.com by a peturbed Tori fan. Good times.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 09:50:44 pm »

Man, he was on FIRE for the first performance.  He did some serious rocking out.

And of course he looked skinny.  He's Prince!

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 01:11:57 am »

I also enjoyed St. Elsewhere, I didn't think I would, because I'm a hipster snob and anything that has any connection to adult swim normally makes me want to puke, but that shit is pretty sweet.  Nogatco Rd is another favorite that came out this year, not quite on the level of Dr. Octagon or Black Elvis, but an awesome Kool Keith album, and just further proof that he's totally off his nut.  And despite what anyone may say, I really enjoyed At War With The Mystics.  And I think that's all the albums i've bought so far this year, looking alright so far.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 02:06:04 am »

Yea, I forgot about the Life Pursuit, I really liked that too.  My roommate said the new Radiohead was good, but I am probably just going to wait for it.  Sonic Youth also has a record out soon (maybe already?) that should be good.



Edit: Sonic Youth- Rather Ripped comes out next tuesday. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 02:11:37 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up