Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums of Today  (Read 6651 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 04:03:19 am »

The new Radiohead won't be out for a while.  The leaked thing is a fake.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 05:22:16 am »

The new Radiohead won't be out for a while.  The leaked thing is a fake.

Yea, I researched that after I said it, couldn't find anything, and then he said he just had the new songs on a live bootleg.  It is coming out next year I guess.  He still said they were way better than he expected and he is a pretty tasteful dude when it comes to albums.  Plus, because of this I found out about the new Thom York album and got the leak from him.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 05:28:45 am »

Yeah, I have a copy of the Thom Yorke solo album leak, but the quality wasn't so good so I'm just going to wait until retail.  I've heard enough to know I'm not excited about it, but still, I'll pick it up when it comes out.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 12:13:59 pm by jough »
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 06:28:11 am »

Sorry, but did you mean the Radiohead or the Thom Yorke?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 12:14:50 pm »

Sorry - Yorke.  The only new Radiohead I've heard is the "new" songs performed live.  The one they're calling "Nude" now used to be called "Big Ideas" and it was written around the "Pablo Honey" era.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 02:06:09 pm »

I am excited because Green Plastic reported that the upcoming Radiohead album will be even creepier than OK Computer.  Oh, and I can't be bothered to find the story itself.  Sorry 'bout that.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 02:53:18 pm »

The Red Hot Chili Peppers sure do like singing about California. I have not liked what I've heard.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 03:12:53 pm »

Yeah, the new RHCP album is ass.

I'm always excited by the prospect of a new Radiohead album, and while I thought HTTT was great, I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the new one so much.  I keep hearing "quieter, more electronic, more syncopated" and wonder when they'll finally put out their raver album and just get it out of their system.

They toyed with the dance dance revolution beats on Kid A and Amnesiac (Kid A 2: Electric Boogaloo) then kinda dropped that on Hail to the Thief. 

Of course, OK Computer was their best album.  You push "avant garde" too far and you just get "annoying indulgence."  They need a better producer, someone who is going to slap Thom and say "Listen you prat, no one wants to hear a 20 minute song with you tapping one key on the keyboard."  I think Goodrich was good for them - but now they're self-producing - which does not instill me with a good deal of confidence.

But whatever.  They haven't made a bad album yet, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before passing judgment. 

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 04:20:57 pm »

my uncle (the same one who saw The Clash and The Beat and The Specials) had a friend who worked for sony. this friend used to make copies of demo tapes to listen to in the car.

one of the tapes was radiohead.

my uncle recalls listening to it, and thinking it was way too wierd.

and then falling in love with it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 06:01:55 pm »

Also swell: The new Paul Simon, "Surprise".

I picked that one up this past weekend along with 10,000 days, but I haven't listened to it yet.  Did Fox Confessor come out this year?  That may be the only new one i've heard this year.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 11:20:04 pm »

Did Fox Confessor come out this year?  That may be the only new one i've heard this year.

~Paul

Yep, it came out around early March.

I think the best I've heard so far this year was the new Liars, Howling Bells, Hot Chip, Band of hosss, Neko Case, and Machinefabriek.
The Thom Yorke solo disappointed me a bit.. I'm just so tired of the weird electro stuff.. go back to guitars and rockin' damnit.
Recently I downloaded James Figurine (Postal Service / Dntel related) and that's growing on me, so it may make my end list.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 10:45:32 pm »

I'm enjoying Pink, the new album by everyone's favorite Japanese stoner-three-piece Boris.  But not as much as their last album, Akuma No Uta. 
Logged

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 11:05:29 pm »

Because I am dumb I forgot to mention the new one from Mission of Burma, "Obliterati".

Pretty much sounds like any other MoB album, which makes it an immediate candidate for a top of the year list for me.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 05:17:43 am »

I love mission of burma. so much.

I am officially pretentious (if I wasn't before) because I got their single-subscription-series. I now have a pile of engraved MoB 12 inch singles. And matching cds.

listening to singles is a pain unless I am in the mood. I am sorry. I need to buy the album.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Albums of Today
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2006, 10:40:42 pm »

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Hot Chip album. Not sure if they're heard of over there or not.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up