Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Saddest Thing (new web site)  (Read 10112 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 04:21:57 am »

Oh, speaking of The Saddest Thing, you can now add comments about each other's (or your own) Sad Things.

Manana I will make adding and browsing comments more pleasing.

Also, since I am up against the Cookie Limit as to limiting the same friggin' things from coming up time and time again, I will probably be just logging votes.  That will also mean that you will be able to change your vote after you've made it.

Yep.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2006, 05:33:57 am »

so, when the same things come up again, do we vote on them again? or are the old votes preserved?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2006, 06:00:09 am »

so, when the same things come up again, do we vote on them again? or are the old votes preserved?

I have done them all and can't vote anymore, so I guess they are saved.


I just realized how much I am on here.  I believe it is time to tell my story.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2006, 01:32:17 pm »

so, when the same things come up again, do we vote on them again? or are the old votes preserved?

Here's what I decided.  To save every vote from every user seems wasteful, and a few people have mentioned that even though it's just a silly humour site they would like their vote to be private.  Right now there is no user-identifiable data regarding how they voted.  All that gets saved are aggregate scores and vote counts.

You can vote again on an item if it gives you a vote box.  That is really no problem.

Today I'll finish the persistence of votes for registered users.  If you log in, the system will remember what you voted on from session to session so that you'll see only new stuff at first until you've voted on everything.

That way you don't have to keep getting random stuff you've already seen just to get to the new stuff that you haven't.

ALSO: The comment system is pretty much finished (I think) so barring any bugs or suggestions on how to make it work better from users, it's good to go.  You can leave comments for other people's things, as well as your own (mostly for reply to people's comments, but also if you want to clarify something or add extra info, like a DVD commentary track).

I think no social app is really social without a way for users to comment and interact with each other's stuff, so let me know if there's a way I can make the commenting better.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 09:11:52 pm »

New today!:

The site will let new users know if their user name is taken while they are still filling out the form, and also if you try to give something a title of a thing that is already taken it will (gently) let you know.*

Ain't modern technology keen?



* provided that you have a browser like IE5, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, etc. that is fairly recent.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2006, 01:53:20 am »

Jough, your site has a nemesis. Here's some details on BestThing.info
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2006, 04:07:54 am »

Oh, man, that site is so weak compared to The Saddest Thing.

I should add something to BestThing - "Saddest Thing or Best Thing" and let people vote it down right on its own site.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 08:33:11 am »

So... are people still using this?  I signed up for an account, but now whenever I try to log in it just spits this "Fatal error" gobbledygook at me.  Has the site fallen into disrepair, or did I just break the internet again?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 11:57:15 am »

Oops.  Yeah, when I upgraded the Wiki on Sunday I had to decouple the class autoloader from the redirect script since the new version of MediaWiki also used an autoloader and it wouldn't work if mine was trying to run.  Rather than move the Wiki to a different account or change its code I just swapped out some stuff with The Saddest Thing, but apparently I missed all of those little redirect pages, like the login/logout screen.

It should be good to go now.

Thanks for letting me know.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up