Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Saddest Thing (new web site)  (Read 10111 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:44:55 pm »

Hey kids!

I am pleased to unveil to all of you a new web site based on folks competing for what is The Saddest Thing.

http://saddestthing.com

I'm still tweaking and adding features, but I thought it was time to get the message out to those on the board here to give you all first dibs on playing with this thing, since of course the saddest thing is a common reference here.

So try it out, vote on stuff, sign up and post your own stuff (photos, text, or both) and feel free to tell your friends, or help a brother out with a link if you have a web site or blog.

Let me know what you think, of course any problems you have with it, and any suggestions for how it may be improved upon.

Thanks to the mods here for helping me test things.

http://saddestthing.com
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:30:49 pm by jough »
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:55:50 pm »

This is great, but when I try to sign in it says my email is invalid. I got the confirmation email and everything!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 09:01:00 pm »

Hey, some of us non-mods tested!  :P
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:05:15 pm »

Oops.

Damn you unusual email addresses.

Okay, I'm pretty sure it will validate all actual email addresses now.

Please let me know if it is still complaining at you.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:06:48 pm »

Oh yes, thank you to M Queue and Mlle Hobot as well.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 09:11:55 pm »

It still ain't recognising Judy, and I can't re-sign up under my gmail account as Jude because it went 'INVALID EMAIL - ABORT!'* and now thinks I have already signed that email up. I am probably ruining everything. Sorry Jough.

*I even love the error messages on this website. 'Not so fast, Slick!' Awesome.


Christ. Turns out I was putting 'Judy' into the sign-in email box. -sidles off-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:18:02 pm by JudyIsADickSlap »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 09:21:19 pm »

You should be able to log in with the user name and email you originally signed up with.

EDIT: Ah, you have signed in.  Never mind me.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 09:26:11 pm »

Heh! I've already voted on everything. Time for me to find a photo to upload! Awesome website, joughy#####.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 09:29:30 pm »

Yeah, there are not many things yet, which is itself a sad thing, but so far only a dozen or so people have seen the thing, so, you know, give it time.

For those who have already added things, you should be able to edit your stuff and add tags to them now and such.  I know the tag form element was there when you uploaded your stuff, but because I wasn't actually adding the tags to the database, it um, just kind of threw out that info when you uploaded your thing.

That should not happen again.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 11:15:28 am »

I uploaded three sad things.  I hope they are goodbad.

Also, when you edit your tags, it says "uncheck tags to delete," but it is actually the checked tags that get deleted.

Also also, once you edit one sad thing, there is not an easy way to get back to my list of sad things again.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 11:21:04 am by Lister »
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 11:57:11 am »

Thanks, Lister.  I will work on these things to make them suck less.

Yeah, check tags to delete.  Man, what the hell was I doing...?

After you've edited a tag I'll add more options, like to view the thing you just edited, re-edit it, or view your things again.

More stuff coming soon.  I'm working on more tag-related stuff, as well as adding comments to sad things.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 11:58:31 am »

Also: Lister, your submissions made me LOL more than any others so far.

Thank you for "getting" the site.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 04:32:48 pm »

Lister-- the thing that makes me the saddest about Starbucks, as per your post, is that they have copyrighted the word "Venti." Which means 20 (as in, oz. I assume.) in Italian. This is equivalent to a Mexican restaurant copywriting "grande."

I get mad every time I see the little (c)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 04:47:14 pm »

Judy, I am pleased to see that your incredibly tragic story about Italian Restaurant Sobbing Man is "winning."  Truly it is the Saddest Thing.  Congratulations to you, good sir.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 04:52:56 pm »

Judy, I am pleased to see that your incredibly tragic story about Italian Restaurant Sobbing Man is "winning."  Truly it is the Saddest Thing.  Congratulations to you, good sir.

Many thanks Miss Hobot. It's also the only thing I didn't steal from somewhere else, so that's good. I applaud all of you and your very good photography skills, that put me right in the heart of the sadness.

Also: Lister, your submissions made me LOL more than any others so far.

Thank you for "getting" the site.


I was also impressed at how well Lister 'got' the Saddest Thing, which I didn't understand at first fully.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up