Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006  (Read 8090 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

Tomorrow we get a rant from Pat about being not provided with vegulon alternative ingredients.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Tomorrow we get a rant from Pat about being not provided with vegulon alternative ingredients.

~Paul

fuck*ng gluten!




[it's reached the point where the word "fuck*ng" looks weird to me with an i]
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

They shouldn't need sugar to proof the yeast, but I think this points to Teodor's problem - without access to stone-ground wheat flour, special filtered spring water, yeast grown from an ancient traditional farmhouse strain, and pink sea salt, he's helpless.  The guy couldn't make a simple grilled cheese sandwich to save his life.  He has fallen down the slippery slope of Modern Foodieness and can't get up.  He needs an intervention in which he is kidnapped and fed frozen dinners and iceberg lettuce salads, after which he will be allowed to gradually work his way back to some kind of happy medium.

Preach it!  A tiny can for you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Also: new avatar.

Noooo!  I just noticed.  Noooo!  Bring back the milkman!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

my goodness, I thoroughly enjoyed this strip.

I did a wierd giggle thing, and my mom said "daniel, are you crying? what's wrong?"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest

I am curious to know what Vlad's bread looked like, and also why he was wearing a leotard.


Everyone, including Cornelius, is wearing a wife-beater because that is perceived as badass.
Logged

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six

Lyle's expression in panel 7 is so sad ... I don't know if I want to give him a hug or a gift certificate to a liquor store.
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile

Everyone, including Cornelius, is wearing a wife-beater because that is perceived as badass.

but lyle's has whiskey/sweat stains, which is badasser.

ananke

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 74
  • !لو ائكل الخنزير لأموت
    • View Profile

Almost every single thing in this strip fills me with gut laughter.

Ray's menacing shout

"A dude who can walk into any kitchen in the world and make bread is COMPLETELY RAW!"

"Lyle your yeast didn't bloom dogg I mean this is a top-drawer failure by any measure in the book"

Ray's admonishing tone/pose

"How long did you knead it for? A thousand minutes? A million?"

"Alright not only did Cornelius buck the rules but he made a recipe that his dead first wife taught him before we were born" "That ishard. Cornelius, hands down."
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

Mr. Bear at first looked as though he was dressed to be part of some barbershop quartet.  Then I realized it's just his apron over his suit.  (Hey it's early and I was up late last night.  I forgive me.)

Oh no it's not, he's got a wifebeater over his smoking jacket.  He's bucking the rules with more than just his recipe it seems.  The Dude is RAW!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile

Haha so we've made a number of posts about how fucked-up panel 3 looks

Pay attention to the order, and then look at the order of them in panel 1! Fuck-ups abound!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

The dude's got babies throwing pasta all over the place, man.  He can't be concerned with character order or logistics of three dimentions!

Maybe they all had a Chinese Fire Drill between panels one and three.  YOU DON'T KNOW.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

I'm really surprised that Teodor would suffer such a culinary breakdown, even under stressful conditions. He is, after all, a veteran of the Risotto Wars.

Those of you that have the Achewood Cookbook will know from Pat's instructions that baking is like science. You can't just run around acting all crazy. You have to follow the steps precisely, or else it'll all go to hell.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Those of you that have the Achewood Cookbook will know from Pat's instructions that baking is like science. You can't just run around acting all crazy. You have to follow the steps precisely, or else it'll all go to hell.

And we all know what we need more of.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile

And we all know what we need more of.

As I lay in bed last night, preparing for sleep, I was telling my special ladyfriend about how much I'm enjoying the Chemistry course that I'm currently working on.   

She responded to me, "Do you know what you're getting more of?"
Not understanding the question I responded, "What?"

"Science."

This is why I love her.  She doesn't even read Achewood, and there she was.  She knew that I had been requesting and wearing a shirt that calls for more Science, and she UNDERSTOOD.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up