Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I am a fan of achewood!  (Read 10722 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 05:59:52 pm »

WE ONLY ACCEPT PRESCRIPTIVE LINGUISTS HERE, YOU SON OF A BITCH!

*beats Judy about the face and neck*

-SMACK- I.. -DAZ- I don't... -POW- know what... -SWISH- that means...
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 06:02:00 pm »

Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 06:07:12 pm »

Didn't have to look very far.

My knowledge of the word comes from having an English girlfriend for many years who used the expression in the way I described.

~Paul

Huh! Good detectoring there, Paul. I must confess, I have never seen it in that context, but I'm not the expert on such matters. Education. Thanks!

*WHAM* PARSLEY! *WHAM* SAGE! *WHAM* ROSEMARY! *WHAM* AND THYME!

I've got to record that for the next mixdisc, me playing the guitar and singing and my brother hitting a snare and various other percussive objects with a saucepan.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 07:12:59 pm »

Yeah, it is almost never used when referring to cutting someone down to size.  Sorry, Paul.  Find a reference on the internet that backs up your claim.

I actually used it last week in that way. 
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 04:15:12 am »

I'm just waiting for Jough to tell me I was correct.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 02:04:36 pm »

Yeah, that page does not reflect the common use of the expression, dude.

http://english2american.com/dictionary/t.html

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_the_mickey

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm
http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/take_the_piss
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/piss-taking
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wrader/slang/t.html
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/344000.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/taking-the-mickey
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006052712406
http://www.coolslang.com/in/british/index.php?pageNum_rsSlang=1&totalRows_rsSlang=40

The fuck*ng BBC:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/britain/dictionary.jsp?newSearch=true&newSearchType=phrase&searchPhrase=take+the+piss&region=+&x=0&y=0

And finally what I would consider the authority on urban slang, where people can vote for definitions:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taking+the+piss

Actually, in the first three pages of Google results, every single one of them uses the common definition.  I have yet to be able to find a definition from a reputable source that uses it like you've used it.

Maybe it's only used that way in one very small town in the North or something.

I did see a few references for "take the piss out of" which does mean to deflate someone's ego, but that's not "take the piss" that's "take the piss out of _____". 

Like in America, "taking some air" generally means getting height in snowboarding, skateboarding, or surfing.  But "taking some air out of Roger" means deflating.  See?

So yeah, I'd admit you were correct if you actually were, but we're all about Education here, and you've just been educated, my friend.

Seriously, when you start arguing with the English folk about what their slang is supposed to mean, you cannot help but look silly.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 03:52:54 pm »

Wow Jough it looks like you spent all night writing that post.  You could have just said that 'taking the piss' and 'taking the piss out of' are two different expressions and not been a jerk about it, but I guess you wouldn't be Gods Own Dick then.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 04:05:46 pm »

Wow Jough it looks like you spent all night writing that post.  You could have just said that 'taking the piss' and 'taking the piss out of' are two different expressions and not been a jerk about it, but I guess you wouldn't be Gods Own Dick then.

~Paul

I think jough was just taking the pi- eer... nevermind.  :P
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 04:12:25 pm »

Woah, bitch slapped by G.O.D. - that is awesome

But... what we're all missing here, and the important thing, is that Paul dated a British chick.  Did she take the piss, or were you more of the piss taker?  ...wait - that sounds like a horribly disgusting thing that R. Kelly would do.  I'm sorry.  That is not an image I needed right before lunch.

At any rate, jough, you know it could be possible, having seen photos of the avant garde crowd Paul hangs with, that his ex-girlfriend is ahead of the linguistics curve.  In 10 years when we're all saying "take the piss" in the way that Paul describes it, his British ex might come by and make you eat your words... and possibly a Stake and Kidney pie (error intended, don't cha know).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:21:40 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 04:57:53 pm »

Quote from: side_show
maybe paul is In on the Piss Taker
fixed that for you
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2006, 05:51:49 pm »

Wow Jough it looks like you spent all night writing that post.  You could have just said that 'taking the piss' and 'taking the piss out of' are two different expressions and not been a jerk about it, but I guess you wouldn't be Gods Own Dick then.

~Paul

He's not  being a jerk that I can see, he's just listing sources and being his generally curmudgeonly self, particularly about Language, which is pretty much is stock-in-trade. So, yeah, he took the piss out of your post but there isn't a call to get pissed about his post. In fact, maybe he's just taking the piss and not taking the piss out of you. Or maybe the two of you are engaged in a pissing contest. I'm gonna piss off now.


Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2006, 05:58:10 pm »

Well we're all starting to get a little pissy in here.

Welcome to the group Little Nicky.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2006, 06:05:10 pm »

Wow Jough it looks like you spent all night writing that post.

Nah.  Five minutes Ctrl+clicking links in the first 50 results of Google.  I don't know how many words were in my post above (other than the links) but you can probably do the calculation by way of 100wpm typing and then see that I couldn't have been typing for more than a minute or two.

Quote
You could have just said that 'taking the piss' and 'taking the piss out of' are two different expressions and not been a jerk about it, but I guess you wouldn't be Gods Own Dick then.

You were just so smarmy and sanctimonious about being wrong that it seemed like you could use a little Education.  Don't worry, homeboy, when you're right I'll agree with you.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2006, 08:12:32 pm »

And both of you will have a pot to piss in.

Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I am a fan of achewood!
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2006, 02:35:09 am »

you're right when I agree with you.

Fixed that one for you
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up