Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Fugazi for a friend?  (Read 3304 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Which Fugazi for a friend?
« on: June 12, 2006, 07:15:29 pm »

I have a friend. This friend listens to horrible horrible music. he listens to the crappy "edgy" semi-metal alternative-crap they play on the radio. It has a lot of yelling and heavy guitars. I want to help him listen to better music. I know that he likes good basslines. So I hope he would like Fugazi. I am still working my way through the Fugazi albums, and I know several of you are Fugazi fans. Which Fugazi album do you suggest for a teenaged boy who is full of anger, who likes very hard rock?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 01:18:38 am »

I wasn't going to say anything, but since no one else did I will say what first popped into my head after reading the thread title:  Dear God, none.  If he is a liberal just give him a copy of Gang of Four's Entertainment and it will change his life forever.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 01:25:14 am »

'13 Songs' is a good intro for someone who might find the abrasiveness of most of the albums a bit too much.  If he doesn't mind the noise, 'In on the Kill Taker' was the first album I really loved by the band, and is still my favorite.  It's also their hardest.  But that one, because it is pretty noisy in parts, and especially 'Red Medicine' and 'End Hits' might be a bit too out there for him.  I bet a lot of people would say 'Repeater' would be a good start, and it seems to be their most critically praised album.

So, I guess '13 Songs' or 'Repeater,' and if you don't think he'll mind the noisiness of it, then 'In on the Kill Taker.'

However, if I was trying to get a fan of indie-rock/pop into Fugazi, I would start with 'The Argument.'
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 01:39:55 am »

Really? Entertainment? I can't ever get into it. I end up skipping most of the songs.

Yeah, i was thinking one of those 2 albums (repeater or 13 songs)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 01:47:16 am »

Fugazi for a Friend?  Wasn't that an Elton John song?


Er... right.. so one night I was at a Fugazi show at Mississippi Nights, this shitty St. Louis club.  Someone got invited up on stage and Security said "Huh UH!" to that by pulling him back down. 

At which point Ian MacKaye said, "That's bullshit.  Riot!"  And threw his mic down.  People started scrambling and whatnot, all kinds of chairs thrown in this sad little mini-riot... thing.

Later, as the police got called and people scampered the friend that I went with got stopped by the cops trying to insinuate that he started some shit inside.  We were in the back and basically pretty much not involved in any chair throwing (which is kind of a surprise considering I'm me.)  They eventually let us go after I talked some sense back at them.

Strangely enough about a year later I went to another Fugazi show at the same venue (it was the only place to see such acts at the time unfortunately.. Mississippi Nights is such a shitty club.. seriously.)  And a similar thing happened there, only without getting hassled by police this time.  At that point I was pretty much done with dodging chairs, so I didn't see them next time around.  Fun shows though.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 01:57:04 am »

Ian Mackaye is basically who I want to be when I grow up.

except that won't happen. I'll have 1.5 kids, a dog, and a white picket fence within 10 years. And I'll be damn happy with my nice new outfit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 02:00:25 am »

Ian Mackaye is basically who I want to be when I grow up.

except that won't happen. I'll have 1.5 kids, a dog, and a white picket fence within 10 years. And I'll be damn happy with my nice new outfit.

At least you'll be able to embrace your Bourgeois Mediocrity!  </Pat>

No but seriously, good luck with all that.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 03:21:02 am »

Maybe you just aren't smart enough.



Example of why you wouldn't like it (in all seriousness):

except that won't happen. I'll have 1.5 kids, a dog, and a white picket fence within 10 years. And I'll be damn happy with my nice new outfit.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 04:54:05 am »

*slaps*

maybe I don't like it because the guy can't sing, and their guitar playing is soulless and repetitive. the drums sound like cardboard boxes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 05:04:58 am »

soulless



except that won't happen. I'll have 1.5 kids, a dog, and a white picket fence within 10 years. And I'll be damn happy with my nice new outfit.


Seriously, sarcasm is hard to pull off on the internet, but I am just giving you a hard time.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 05:11:29 am »

this is the part where I pretend I was kidding, too.

but no matter how much I like Gang of Four on an intellectual level, I can't like them for real.

Kind of like The Clash. I know I should love them. I love a few of their songs. But beyond those songs, I just can't get into them.
Actually, maybe that has to do with the fact that I lost the CD. Damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 05:19:40 am »

Wow, well I guess I can kind of respect that. 

I mean, their music is great, but so is their message.  Ypu are still pretty young, right?  If so you should check out both of those bands in about 3 or 4 years.  Shit changes, you know?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 03:26:26 pm »

13 Songs was my first. I was hooked from the opening bassline of Waiting Room.

Though I don't think you can really go wrong with Repeater, Kill Taker, or Argument either.

Another good album to try to improve the taste of a fan of shit metal is something like The Shape of Punk to Come by The Refused.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 09:09:58 pm »

I really like End Hits and Red Medicine. In On the Kill Taker is great, too. Hell, it's pretty hard to go wrong when it comes to Fugazi.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 11:05:48 pm »

ok, I think I am going to just make him a mix.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up