Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!  (Read 8177 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« on: June 19, 2006, 08:37:47 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06192006

Not too hot on this strip.

Make a line for those of you unhappy with the title.
Logged

bonaparte

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 08:58:52 am »

I'm wondering a few things here.

Firstly, how does a dog sense that a ***** is afraid of him.
Secondly, in the fourth panel, is anyone else slightly disconcerted by Magnus's huge sac?

Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 09:01:17 am »

Come on, what's not to like? If nothing else Pat's terror is worth a chuckle, have we ever even see Pat afraid before? I think we only ever had it referenced in relation to the duck that Ray ate with steak fries.
Also, you can make out Pat's bizzarely muscled physique as he shies away from the angry dog.

I do kind of hope this wraps up soon though, Cornelius is winning a little *too* easily for this to keep my interest much longer.
Also: We have another of Onstad's wonderfully juxtaposed real-looking drawings in Magnus, complete with tastefully obscured sack.
Also: Look at Beef furiously drink that cup of coffee.

Bonaparte: His fear gauge of course.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:16:56 am »

I want to like it and think it is funny, but if someone else could win once in a while that would make this thing alot better.

Also, the work on it in your driveway consideration makes the last strip more enjoyable.  I thought that was pretty classic.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:17:03 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 09:26:03 am »


Secondly, in the fourth panel, is anyone else slightly disconcerted by Magnus's huge sac?


Not till you pointed it out, thanks a lot.

Cornelius winning twice would be repetition, but Cornelius winning for the third time, as he does here, is, as we have discussed elsewhere, a recurring theme.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:16:33 am »

Yea, but it is a recurring theme that makes the strips lame and predictable.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 10:45:22 am »

I agree on Corny winning EVERY TIME.  It's like.. man, no one wants a shutout.  And don't give me none of that "But Lyle got the last answer right too!"  That is basically a cop-out.

If a dog could bring me coffee, I just might think about having one.  This seems like a very useful thing.

Yes this is a terrible topic title, but I am not so heavily invested in this strip so whatever floats the proverbial boat.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 11:37:34 am »

dude cornelius owns, stfu.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 12:56:56 pm »

If a dog could bring me coffee, I just might think about having one.  This seems like a very useful thing.

He didn't so much bring coffee as he nudged a cup that was already sitting in front of him.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 01:21:50 pm »

He didn't so much bring coffee as he nudged a cup that was already sitting in front of him.

Well pffft... even an infant can do that if properly trained/shock collared.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 01:23:43 pm »

I think it works because Cornelius is becoming a badass for even more absurd reasons. However, I do agree that there's maybe one more challenge left (if that) before this storyline starts to get tedious.

Making the pasta instead of the bread? Okay, so he's pretty creative.
Holding an overwhelmingly civil conversation with a convict? Yeah, Cornelius is pretty damn classy.
Picking "Eliminator" as his car of choice? Well, there weren't any overwhelmingly British sports cars in the list.
Being offered coffee by a dog who wants to rip the throat out of everyone else? Yup, looks like we've achieved proper Achewood levels of weirdness.

And better titles? "Yes, yes! He's offering him that cup of coffee!" would've been my choice.
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 01:34:57 pm »

Is Liebot facing the other way in panel ten?
That is ambiguous.
Also, Beef drinks the coffee at the start and leaves the coffee next to the cage.
Not that this means anything but it at least explains where Magnus got the coffee from.
Awrrr?
Logged

Fooker

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -18
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 193
  • domesticated troll
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 01:46:24 pm »

I would have used the "Go away before you get the whole pack killed or I'll kill you myself" title.
Logged
NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 01:48:55 pm »

wait, so, why the hell did Cornelius pick the ZZ top car? That is not him at all.

also: I have this effect on (some) dogs. My dog growls at and attempts to bite my dad (who is 6'4" and... big) if he comes near his food. If I enter the room while he has food, he retreats to his bed and watches me sadly. "oh dang why do you got to be the alpha now I don't get no ladies nor food" is what his eyes say. it is adorable. especially the look of gratitude on his face when I refrain from eating his dog-kibble.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 02:24:35 pm »

wait, so, why the hell did Cornelius pick the ZZ top car? That is not him at all.


Isn't it because he knows that it is the right answer?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up