Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!  (Read 8148 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
I hate to be different
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 02:44:18 pm »

I am loving the hell out of this sequence.  "Nobody wants a shutout?"  Hell, I want a shut out!  When was the last time that Cornelius got an extended story line?  Ummmm... Hmmmm.... 

No, this isn't the most complex story we've ever seen.  It is a simple series of "Cornelius is a badass" jokes along with pictures of Roast Beef drinking coffee and handing out number two pencils in a badassed manner.  So sit back, relax, and enjoy it.  Go Cornelius!
Logged

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 03:29:09 pm »

I would enjoy a little tension, mystery and excitement.The B.A.G. would be far more enjoyable if it was actually a contest. Also, I wouldn't have minded a whole strip devoted to more questions from the personality test.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:32:18 pm by EgoSumNoah »
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

cyclopticgaze

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 04:18:41 pm »

The huge sac in panel 4 is, of course, a requirement.  After all, he's Magnus Intactus, not Magnus Castratus (which would be oxymoronic anyway). 

This strip gave me a good belly laugh. 
Logged

mkilly

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
    • Glitter & Twang
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 04:40:56 pm »

I for one love that Cornelius Bear is being proven a badass! For a while there on Achewood it was THE RAY SHOW STARRING RAY featuring Roast Beef with guest appearances by Teodor &c., so it's nice to see Mr. Bear, who rules, getting some credit.

In re why Cornelius chose the ZZ Top `33 Ford Eliminator, he naturally wouldn't have chosen the L'Oreal car nor the Weinermobile. Not to be results-oriented, but why wouldn't he have chosen the Audi? Maybe he thinks Le Mans has lost its way and it's glitz over substance now. Maybe he first got lucky in a `33 Eliminator. Maybe he first got lucky while ZZ Top was playing on a stereo.
Logged
I never age at all, never die, unlike all the stars in the sky I'll be young forever and why?--'cause I'm a vampire.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 04:57:02 pm »

Is Liebot facing the other way in panel ten?
That is ambiguous.

No, because Liebot is not there at all. 

I guess the dog noise in the last panel was cute.  Otherwise, I give a resounding "Meh" to this strip.

I am not mentioning the 'sack because it haunts me.  It will haunt me for the rest of my days.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

otter

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 36
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 05:08:47 pm »

Maybe it's because ZZ Top had awesome beards, and I think if any two Achewood characters were to grow a beard it would be Cornelius and Lyle.  Teodor is way too much of a pretty boy to grow any facial hair at all, and Vlad gets all of his powers from his waxed mustache.  Meanwhile, Pat probably shaves several times a day so as not to look like a hippie person.  But I betcha Cornelius is dignified enough and Lyle is crazy enough to grow a truly sophisticated/bitchin' beard (respectively).
Logged
um

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 05:28:38 pm »

This strip is a delight.  I love that Roast Beef is continuing his furious nature (drinking the HELL out of that coffee), I love Pat's primal-fear-induced contortions, and I especially love the explanation panel with the 60's font and the addition of the "info ticker" at the bottom.  It is modern and anacrhonistic all at once.

Strip winner: Pat's shocked expression in panel 5.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 05:42:44 pm »

why was the question numbered "1." on that test if it was the only one ?

i guess that seems like something ray might do though
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 06:36:45 pm »

I guess I'd like to see it a little more mixed-up. I mean, I think we all knew that Cornelius was really the biggest badass all along, so this is coming as no surprise. Why not allow Vlad to get his tough guy on? Why not some Sex Funeral action from Lyle? C'mon, get another joke in there!

Also: speculation on how the hell Ray and Beef originally got Magnus Intactus in there? Neither of them exactly strikes me as the appropriate level of badass for this.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 08:20:12 pm »

Also: speculation on how the hell Ray and Beef originally got Magnus Intactus in there? Neither of them exactly strikes me as the appropriate level of badass for this.

I had assumed Beef would have figured out a way.  I mean, he knows that Ray fuges.
Logged

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 08:34:10 pm »

No, because Liebot is not there at all.
Looks more like Vlad without his leotard and aviators.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 08:39:29 pm by nDed »
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 08:41:11 pm »


Also: speculation on how the hell Ray and Beef originally got Magnus Intactus in there? Neither of them exactly strikes me as the appropriate level of badass for this.

I am assuming that M. I. is a rental, and comes in the box.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 08:41:50 pm »

Looks more like Vlad without his leotard and aviators.

Ooh, well, look at Brigadier General McFancy.gif!  What your Photoshop (or whatever) skills pointed out with neon lights and rescue flares, my wry phrasing left to the imagination.

I am not really upset, nDed.  I am a nice girl.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 09:05:13 pm »

Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 19 June 2006 - ARFAFFARROWR! GRRRAT-GRROWRRR!
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 09:08:29 pm »

I am not really upset, nDed.  I am a nice girl.

That's what she says, but look at my dear brother's John Thompson. What John Thompson, you ask? EXACTLY.

Moving on, then. I am also miffed by the ease with which Cornelius slaughters the competition. I mean, obviously he's the winner. But we don't want him to be the proverbial Argentina, here.

Also miffing: Lyle is not rising up to previous form! Terrible.



Pointing out the errors of Onstad's work is an excellent way of using such an accessory. Keep it up! (Also, nice handwriting)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up