Yeah, it is indeed possessed. My personal car expert (aka Dad) tells me that the fan will indeed continue to run (for a brief period), even with the ignition turned off, if the engine has over heated. I again re-plugged the fan in with out the engine running or keys in the ignition yesterday, and again, the fan started running. I left it to run for a bit, but it is clearly not shutting off, and I don't want to kill my battery, so I unplugged it again. The engine temperature gage on my dash works fine - I watch it carefully (since my fan's not hooked up) and as the day grew hotter/I drove the car more, the gage went up. I'm guessing something with the internal computer is toasted, and permanently thinks the car is over heating, but am waiting to get my car manual from the local library, and will take one more whack at it, maybe re-do the wiring or replace the thermostat itself, before I turn to a shop. It does seem a little odd, but really all sorts of components of a car keep functioning when the ignition is off... it's just that this one shouldn't be.