Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I am now a shiftless Bum  (Read 4646 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I am now a shiftless Bum
« on: June 23, 2006, 04:06:04 am »

I don't have a whole lot to say on the subject at the moment, I'm too upset, but I lost my job today.  I've known it was coming for a couple of weeks and I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop.  It dropped today.  I was railroaded.  The person I was sent to work for didn't like me from the start and so I never had a chance.  She was my Judge, Jury and Executioner.  On the one hand I am anxious over the loss of income, but on the other hand I am relieved, because it really was a shit job.  Now I am free to pursue other more interesting avenues.  What, I'm not entirely sure just yet, but I'm thinking a year on unemployment compensation would be nice.  We'll see.  At any rate, I'm not down, everything's gonna work out fine.

This will NOT derail my diet.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 04:10:04 am »

Yikes! Not a lot of good news coming out of this place lately.

If I can ever do anything for ya, holla at me. Though a year of unemployment sounds sorta nice.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 04:21:39 am »

Quick! Somebody sent Paul a shift!

That sucks dude.  Does this mean you can get on back to Houston now?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 04:32:53 am »

It's tough to eat right on unemployment - at least, here in GA it is. It's tough to eat period. Plus, we only get to collect unemployment for 3 months: how do you get to collect for a year?

If you can swing it, get yourself back home. It's still tomato season in climes further south, and hopefully a landlord will understand an early exit under circumstances such as these.

Have you appealed your off-laying? If there's an HR department you can usually appeal to them to get your job back, but you'll have to have a bloc of peers and at least one person from a higher tier to back you (the size of the bloc will vary based on the company's size, but you know what I'm getting at) in order to countermand the "get out" order. On the other hand, if it was consultants and "consolidation" that left you jobless, well, my prayers are with you and i wish i could hire you for your photography.

Now: if you worked yourself out of a job, then that's a thing to be proud of, and you should update your resume and get back on the market immediately. It's not an easy thing to do, and you should be proud of that. If that is indeed the case.

On the plus side, when you don't have money for lots of food, it's easier not to eat lots of food. It's tough to eat right on unemployment, but it's not impossible. Without the availability of hot prepared meals, you'll find yourself getting more and more creative in the kitchen.

Best of luck to you, and may you come by what you need.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 04:40:55 am »

Damn, Paul, that sucks and sucks hard. On the other hand, at least you can get out of Utah now and get to somewhere where tomato-growing is easier and there are more opportunities...
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 02:56:26 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:00:02 pm »

Sorry to hear it, man.  I can't imagine what kind of person wouldn't like you and would want to screw you over like this; you are good people.  I hope everything works out; best of luck to you, good sir.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 03:03:08 pm »

Hey, honestly, I'm releaved because you no longer work for the cause of cancer.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 03:04:17 pm »

Paul, I know you will move on to bigger and better things, I just know it!

Maybe now is the time to open up "The Paul Gallery: Photographs of a Daily Life"

I would visit that gallery.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 06:29:26 pm »

OMG. That's awful. But on the other hand, there is nothing better than getting out of a shit job where your boss hates you.  In the long run it will all be good, I have faith in this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 07:58:23 pm »

I read the thread title and hoped against hope that you were cleverly telling us that your clutch went out or something.

Best of luck - you seem to have a way of landing on your feet, so I'm confident you'll be OK. Get back to your family and get back on track.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 02:51:29 am »

I don't know what to say, and am kind of new here, but best of luck man.

Hard times are no fun.  Hope you can get back to Houston, if that is what you want to do. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 04:32:19 pm »

That sucks, man. And rules at the same time.
I mean, hell, if you didn't like it, nothing like enforced motivation to move on. I hope you can find out what you really want to do and get to doing exactly that.
For me, it's mostly nothing, and boy am I getting good at it!

Best of luck!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 07:34:32 pm »

That sucks, man. And rules at the same time.


That is exactly what I meant. I wish I had phrased it so perfectly.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: I am now a shiftless Bum
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 03:18:22 am »

Melancholy

~Paul

What's with the capital letters, man? Now that you are shiftless, you uhhh, you can't...Oh God, this fell so flat.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up