I have just returned from NYC where I saw Bruce Springsteen, whose name I left out of the thread title in order to fool certain of you into clicking when otherwise you wouldn't. He was touring with the band from his recent Seeger Sessions recording of American folk music.
It was touch and go there for a bit. First of all, wombat is a bit Old to go to a big arena concert, especially when it starts half an hour late and she has been travelling all day. I was tired and it was very uncomfortable and all I could think was, I am half an hour closer to DEATH and I have not had any fun in that time.
And then, the concert starts, and I think, oh God, I just spent 100 dollars on a ticket and 300 dollars on the train in order to hear.... a pennywhistle player. Which is particularly excruciating given that there was a period in my life when I was heavily involved with folk music so I know for a fact that one generally hears pennywhistle players for free. What is more, then there was a banjo solo, and normally I would pay a considerable sum of money not to hear a banjo.
After about 45 minutes, I decided that I was not going to get through this without A, an infusion of caffeine, fluid, and sugar, and B, a move to an empty seat that was not tucked into a totally airless corner of Madison Square Garden. I mean, these were not just bad seats, these were seats that were clearly in violation of some international human rights convention.
So I got a Coke for $3.75, thanked all available deities that the concert was not sold out, grabbed my friend and went around annoying people till I found two seats that were authentically empty.
It got a lot better after that. Of course, the best part was still when he had mercy on us and played a song from The Rising. But I am glad that I went. Not just because now I will not someday be in the nursing home and look back with regret that I never saw Bruce Springsteen live, but also because now I think I understand this recording better. I now understand that either:
A. Bruce Springsteen is a musician of great talent and understanding who has a profound insight into the power of the American folk tradition, or
B. One day Bruce Springsteen was sitting around and said to himself "Hey, let's see just how big a god I am. What's the uncoolest song I can play and still get a whole arena on their feet?"
I mean, you cannot imagine how strange it is to be sitting in Madison Square Garden surrounded by thousands of people of all ages - New Yorkers, no less - singing along to "Old Dan Tucker."
So really, I don't know which option is the correct one. But, either one is OK with me. If he wants to mess with our minds I guess he's earned it.