Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*  (Read 9222 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

executioneer

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« on: June 28, 2006, 01:20:20 am »

Is there really a kind of therapy where you memorize random numbers?  I hadn't heard of it :/

I wonder what's so scary to Ray about violins and Charlie Chaplin, too :/
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 01:32:08 am »

Man.. are we back on diabetes here?   This is like recurring themes to the max.  Badass competitions.  Diabetes.  Goth Mockery.  Next thing you know there's going to be an arc about "ConversationTestes"


(I just had to stop myself from saying "Way to go OFFSTAD" even though the Patesqueosity amused me)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 01:36:29 am »

The only scary thing about Charlie Chaplin is that he looks like Cartilage Head in Ray's drawing.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 01:39:39 am »

Huh. I would've thought that the Diabetes Results Center would use printed labels. If Avery is too expensive there are generics now, guys.
Logged

DanSC

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 79
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 01:47:46 am »

Huh. I would've thought that the Diabetes Results Center would use printed labels. If Avery is too expensive there are generics now, guys.

I feel like maybe they do, but Ray's drawings are not quite as "really high-quality" as he thinks.
Logged
"If you can't have fun playin' with a toy truck, then it's time to reevaluate your life."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 01:55:31 am »

I feel like maybe they do, but Ray's drawings are not quite as "really high-quality" as he thinks.

But the Chaplin drawing was photorealistic!
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 02:43:55 am »

In Ray's mind, with his very vague and generalized knowledge of most things, Chaplin is probably just... a generic symbol for being a multi-talent genius, such as Ray aspires to be and fears (knows) he is not. An avatar of the lofty goals toward which Ray foolishly aspires.

"There's a dude I gotta live up to, that dude from the old movies who looked like Hitler's good twin."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 02:46:00 am »

I wonder if this will lead to an arc where Ray actually goes out and gets a proper diabetes test done.

If Onstad is truly going for recurring themes it'll happen after Beef gets shot and needs a kidney, and while kidney brothers may not be quite as special as lung brothers, it'd be an interesting way for Ray to truly confront his fear.
Logged

DanSC

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 79
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 02:47:32 am »

Incidentally, I just noticed that Ray's area code, 94526, puts Achewood in the East Bay, basically in Danville. I always assumed it was more or less coterminous with San Carlos, where the Onstads live, (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_chrisonstad_archive.html) which is on the peninsula, probably about 30 mins away.
Logged
"If you can't have fun playin' with a toy truck, then it's time to reevaluate your life."

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 02:52:38 am »

I wonder if this will lead to an arc where Ray actually goes out and gets a proper diabetes test done.

If Onstad is truly going for recurring themes it'll happen after Beef gets shot and needs a kidney, and while kidney brothers may not be quite as special as lung brothers, it'd be an interesting way for Ray to truly confront his fear.

Better yet, pancreas brothers.  There's nothing closer than the bonds between islets of Langerhans.*


*Those of you up on your anatomy will appreciate this statement on another level.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 03:14:59 am »

Come on kids, please remember to post a link to the strip:

Ray's Drawing Therapy, Wednesday June 28th, 2006

Feh!

Amateurs!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 03:20:39 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 03:18:23 am »

Damn that Diabetes!  Damn it to HELL!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 03:21:43 am »

Incidentally, I just noticed that Ray's area code, 94526, puts Achewood in the East Bay, basically in Danville. I always assumed it was more or less coterminous with San Carlos, where the Onstads live, (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_chrisonstad_archive.html) which is on the peninsula, probably about 30 mins away.

The Acheverse is based in North Cali ... according to Google Maps, Dexter University = Stanford, and Seven Pines Golf Course = Palo Alto Municipal Golf Course. Ray lives on Claremont Way in Menlo Park (zip code 94025, not 94526), the Onstads and their housemates (in the strip, anyway) live on Coleridge Ave. in Palo Alto, Pat lives near Rhodes and Channing, and the apartments of Molly/Spongebath/Emeril/Vlad/etc. are near Gilbert and Laurel. Beef's old trailer looks like it may have either a) been the victim of urban renewal, b) a map error, or c) artistic license, since it looks like the map points to a location that's primarily smaller single-family houses. However, there *is* a small trailer park immediately to the south, so I'm going with 'b'. Likewise, I don't notice any apartments in the area of where Molly and co. live, but I'm thinking they might reside in a once-single-family house that was converted into a few smaller studios, or something similar.

Man, I feel like I should've been enjoying a smoked turkey leg while I did that.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 04:06:26 am »

Okay, we're entering into Creepy Stalker Land here kids.  Let's keep it about the comic.

On that note, this one I enjoyed.  I think it may actually be theraputic to draw a detailed picture of your fears, because that way you're focusing on them and totally ruling over them like you are master of them.

I can see why it took two days to write this one.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 04:27:08 am »

Yea, this is a good idea, and pretty funny.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up