Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*  (Read 9233 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lauralaura

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 04:28:52 am »

my favorite part is that ray is scared of violins... but goddamn if he isn't going to CONQUER that fear.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 05:28:17 am »

He is affraid of what a violin can do, not of the violin.


Violins are beautiful, this is a reasonable fear.

And, I thought "That stuff don't hurt me no more." was the star of the strip.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 05:56:45 am »

two days for this?
Chris Onstad? more like... Constad!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 06:08:26 am »

Okay, this is funny, and the drawings are cute. I think the Chaplin fear is the best of them, because it's one of the least explicable, although the envelope is pretty good too.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 06:31:38 am »

I think the Chaplin fear is the best of them, because it's one of the least explicable, although the envelope is pretty good too.

The Chaplin fear is that Ray has been having Cartilage Head nightmares but refuses to admit that the dude got to him that deeply. So he drew Cartilage Head, put a hat on it and called it Charlie Chaplin.
Logged

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 08:45:41 am »

I for one am hoping that Onstad will continue this theme further.

In my mind I am dreaming of a six month arc where we can fully explore Ray's existential angst, where we will plumb the depths of Ray's mind, where we will take a long, long, journey that starts from Ray's conception and follows him through his troubled childhood, we will see him meet Beef for the first time, understand the conficted mind of a rebelious teenager, and continue until Ray is laid bare before us in all his oh so tarnished glory for us all to know and to see.

Failing that, I'd settle for Conelius Bear: The Early Years
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 09:51:59 am »

In my mind I am dreaming of a six month arc where we can fully explore Ray's existential angst

I'm still waiting for The Story Of Molly Sanders!
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 12:00:06 pm »

... and follows [Ray] through his troubled childhood...

come again?
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 12:54:21 pm »

come again?

Ray has WASP-y angst.  He grew up privileged, but he never fit in.  This is why he hung out with Beef (from the Wrong Side of the Tracks) instead of his Lacoste-wearing, Range Rover-driving peers.

It ain't easy havin' it easy.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 01:53:18 pm »

Ray has WASP-y angst.  He grew up privileged, but he never fit in.  This is why he hung out with Beef (from the Wrong Side of the Tracks) instead of his Lacoste-wearing, Range Rover-driving peers.

It ain't easy havin' it easy.

Exactly! The cat is conflicted.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 01:59:56 pm »

Mmm, but why does Teodor have claws?
He is a stuffed bear, not an alive one.
Minus 2 points.
Logged

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 02:22:20 pm »

Mmm, but why does Teodor have claws?

I would imagine that they're there to make it easier for T to pick things up &c.

With the claws he would clearly have better purchase, especially when trying to grip items with smooth surfaces.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2006, 03:25:06 pm »

Tangental to Ray's drawing his fears, I too had/have a manifestation of my doubts that comes through in doodling. Though mine is a character, Lil' Mikey, a rough representation of myself at six or seven... slender, doe-eyed, with a He-Man bowlhaircut, a Spidey shirt and sweat#####.

Generally, his purpose is to berate me for not living up to his potential, not accomplishing the goals he set out to accomplish and generally for not being the World-Beater Genius he believed himself/me/us to be. Also, because I grew up to be fat.

Do most peoples' inner-children do this to them? Tell them that 26 is too old to break in as a writer... to put the MacDonalds down, fatty... etc etc? I always assumed that most peoples' inner children just pop up to remind them how fun it is to play on swings or to suggest that maybe they should look on myspace for that girl they had a crush on in the third grade.

Not at the margins of notebooks, proclaiming you a failure.

Anyway, I just assumed Ray's fear of violins was that he'd never be really really good on them.

I view Ray's life as so confused by prilivedge that the only two things he has to be afraid of are... not being automatically awesome at things and death. If you've got enough money to choke Warren Buffet, what else is there to be afraid of?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 03:37:59 pm »

I have versions of this doodle myself.  I'm pretty sure some psychoanalytical person would have a field day with my college notebooks especially.  I still have them for this very reason (and I am not one who keeps things).

Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: June 28 2006 - POSTMASTER: *FIND THIS MAN*
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2006, 03:56:12 pm »

Anyway, I just assumed Ray's fear of violins was that he'd never be really really good on them.

This is how I interpreted it, as well.  Sure, he has that deal with the Devil regarding playing piano and being a successful musician, but you don't really want to resort to making pacts with Satan in all instances of musical insecurity.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up