Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.  (Read 7220 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK

Got a chuckle out of this, which is actually kind of rare considering my normally unemotional expressions of humour. I didn't think it was a particularly 'good' strip; I've never enjoyed the Mensa ones.

I guess it's good satire, but not MY kind of good satire.

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06302006

(Also, apologies for the title. I don't think today was a great one for a witty headline, but that's just me.)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 05:12:25 pm »

The generous remuneration schedule gets 'em every time.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:12:56 pm »

I like Mr. Bear choking on his own rage in panel 8.

His speech sounds like IMAX movie narration. "Holes define who we are and where we are going..."
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 05:34:35 pm »

Any Mensa members on the board?  Aug, I'm looking your way.  Like the Bear, I would only join for renumeration.  I don't know my IQ, but I'm guessing that our board members, and possibly Achewood members as a whole, have a higher IQ than the average Joe.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 05:41:11 pm »

I declined joining. I think I just scrape by on their qualification. Couldn't really see the benefit of it.

Although Asia Carerra is a member. Maybe I'll join and she'll be at a mixer or something.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 05:41:59 pm »

I like the fact that the gauge of intelligence involves knowing a synonym for "sad".
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 05:50:51 pm »

Heh.. one can always be suckered in by their own Hubris.  I know I would be all self-righteously saying "no" until they made me feel special.

"Finally!  Someone sees my extra-special value and worth!  Truly I am the King of Today!"
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 06:14:32 pm »

Why call to decline in the first place?  Why not chuck the letter in the trash with all the other junk mail?  Perhaps because one is hoping to be persuaded?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 06:15:46 pm »

Any Mensa members on the board?  Aug, I'm looking your way.  Like the Bear, I would only join for renumeration.  I don't know my IQ, but I'm guessing that our board members, and possibly Achewood members as a whole, have a higher IQ than the average Joe.

I'm not really much of a joiner (all my cabinets seem to fall apart...).  My attitude is pretty much like Cornelius's.  However, I am flattered that you looked my way.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 06:23:27 pm »

Raymond Smuckles, "PhDTM" is grand.

I've never had my IQ tested, because my parents did not want me to instill an excessive amount of importance in numbers and scores.  A lot of good that did me; I still base my self-worth on grades, damnit.

I do have a good friend who was invited to be a Mensa member.  He has an IQ of 190.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 06:58:52 pm »

PhD in quotation marks is definitely the best part of the strip. It shows Ray is smart enough to have discovered a loophole where you can get all the benefits of looking like a doctor, without all the hassle of actually becoming one.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 07:13:34 pm »

Why call to decline in the first place?  Why not chuck the letter in the trash with all the other junk mail?  Perhaps because one is hoping to be persuaded?

Dear friend, I believe Mr. Bear is simply doing the polite thing.  He calls to decline pre-approved offers for credit cards, Columbia House membership, and invitations to attend financial planning seminars.  He is mindful to call Penzey's and Harry & David if they send catalogues too often for his humble needs, and he always offers telemarketers a logical but concise reason why he is not interested in further extending his supscription to Harper's.

To ignore these overtures would be outright rude, and Cornelius Bear is not rude.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 07:52:25 pm »

PhD in quotation marks is definitely the best part of the strip.

Not just quotation marks but TM.  That's the real genius.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 07:58:48 pm »

My old boss had one of those.

Paid 40k, got it in 6 months or so. It was for school administration here, not nuclear physics or anything, but still.

The worst part was when she started strutting around demanding to be called Doctor.

She sells real estate now. Sucker.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 08:01:44 pm »

Maybe Mensa membership is opt-out?
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up