Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.  (Read 7206 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2006, 07:39:55 pm »

I am not a reader of comics, so I have not had much of a reason to go inside the store, but this discussion has made me curious about the comics shop in Northampton, the town in which Smith College, the largest all-female school in the country (that is chock-full of awesomely geeky ladies), is located.  Since Northampton basically is Smith, I wonder if the stereotypes mentioned above apply to this particular store.  It would make for an interesting sociological study, to be sure.

I'm going to guess that's it's the complete polar opposite of 5 Star Comics which is owned by the wrestler Rob Van Dam. Because when you  mix comics and pro-wrestling you reach some kind of critical mass of geekiness, misogyny, and homoeroticism.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2006, 09:13:06 pm »

I used to pick up comics and then play chess regularly at Comic Universe in Folsom, PA.

http://www.comicuniverse.net/

It's one of those great old comic shops that goes way back and has a treasure trove of great stuff.  The owner is a True Believer and will go out of his way to find stuff for you.

Excelsior!

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2006, 09:19:14 pm »

I've never bought the comics at all, but an unhealthy obsession with basketball cards kept me visiting the comic shop daily for most of my time in grade school.

Nowadays, I can't stand the NBA and I can't believe that that Shaq mfer won another championship.  DAMNIT.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2006, 09:48:07 pm »

They made basketball cards?

Dang.

We were all about baseball cards when I was a kid.  Topps brand only, please.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2006, 09:50:46 pm »

Nowadays, I can't stand the NBA and I can't believe that that Shaq mfer won another championship.  DAMNIT.

One of my favorite sports memories was watching Hakeem Olajuwon take Shaq to school in the '95 finals.  It's was as if Shaq were made out of wood and Hakeem was mercury.  I guess Shaq has improved since then.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: June 30th, 2006 - Yes, Mr Smuckles Is A Very Intelligent Person.
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2006, 02:07:02 am »

Raymond Smuckles, "PhDTM" is grand.

I've never had my IQ tested, because my parents did not want me to instill an excessive amount of importance in numbers and scores.  A lot of good that did me; I still base my self-worth on grades, damnit.

I do have a good friend who was invited to be a Mensa member.  He has an IQ of 190.

Per a Mensa book I read many years ago, I believe called the "Mensa Think-Smart Guide" or such pap, the IQ test is based on a normal distribution and scores are related to standard deviations. As 100 is the normalized mean, this means fewer and fewer people with higher scores, and the highest score was 164 (or 166).

I am currently attempting to locate the book which is languishing somewhere in my place. The Wikipedia article on IQ is a little coy (and I'm too lazy to read the linked articles), but the graphic appears to corroborate this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:6sigmaIQrange.png

Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up