Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Poll

Choose:

Yes
- 17 (58.6%)
No
- 6 (20.7%)
Indifferent
- 6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28


Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you like your first name?  (Read 17736 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2006, 02:45:40 am »

I ended up forfeiting a marriage proposal because I didn't like the guy's last name. It might sound shallow, but it's important to me. One of my best friends that I have loved since college actually came up here, and he flew me down to Hawaii to visit him last year. While he was here, I made the mistake of "casually" asking, "So, have you ever thought about changing your last name?" because it's relatively unusual and would be prime fodder for evil schoolkids to make fun of. I KNOW, I'm shallow. But I was just not willing to live with a name that I could not pronounce with a straight face and a name that would make my kids ridiculed.

IMMEDIATELY he gave me this bad look and launched into this diatribe about how proud he is of his family and that he would never consider changing it. Yikes, dude, didn't realize I was hitting a nerve. Apparently he also thinks it's emasculating if a woman keeps her last name. Good thing I didn't tell him what I thought of that.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2006, 03:57:35 am »

Call me old-fashioned, but I would not marry a woman who would not take my last name.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2006, 05:50:19 am »

one time, I saw a really old gravestone with "Vacancy" on it. I have always wondered if some colonial-era guy thought that was a reallly good joke.
and then I remember that they probably didn't use that word, Hotels not being around and all.

part of me thinks it would be nice to have a lady who had the same last name as me due to marriage.
but, you know, I also think it would be cool for me to take her name. Esp. if she had a cool one, you know.

so I guess I am only masculine enough to express a tiny desire.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2006, 06:32:07 am »

I am waiting for a girl with the same last name as me.


Edit: No one in my family.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2006, 07:56:13 am »

All four of my names are Scottish, fun fact: no one in my family lived in scotland for at least the last five generations.

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2006, 12:38:35 pm »

I'd like to revert to the French spelling of my surname, but I think people would be thrown off by the circonflexe.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2006, 12:39:33 pm »

part of me thinks it would be nice to have a lady who had the same last name as me due to marriage.
but, you know, I also think it would be cool for me to take her name. Esp. if she had a cool one, you know.

I get the feeling my friend, who has a boring Irish name (and too many boring catholic first names) isn't going to take his fiance's Ukrainian surname. I so totally would if I were him. Which, if it doesn't show, means I have never expected any woman to take my surname if we married. Probably stems mostly frmo not wanting to inflict my old boring surname on anyone.

I'd like to revert to the French spelling of my surname, but I think people would be thrown off by the circonflexe.

That's the one thing I missed out on, was picking a name with special characters. Therefor I have it written in Cyrilic, at least for my MSN nick. That is - Слінк. Or Crink as they then tend to call me.

Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2006, 12:45:39 pm »

I've been tossing around various different name combinations I'd like to change it to when I get some random free money for years.

The closest I've come to something I could settle on is "Lucas Octavius" which is both sort of cool sounding and horribly geeky.  It's the last name that's tripping me up.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2006, 12:49:31 pm »

That's the one thing I missed out on, was picking a name with special characters. Therefor I have it written in Cyrilic, at least for my MSN nick. That is - Слінк. Or Crink as they then tend to call me.

Are you a Russian speaker, good sir Slink?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2006, 01:28:38 pm »

I've been tossing around various different name combinations I'd like to change it to when I get some random free money for years.

The closest I've come to something I could settle on is "Lucas Octavius" which is both sort of cool sounding and horribly geeky.  It's the last name that's tripping me up.

If your planned middle name is Otto that would be a Very Sad Thing.

One of my friends changed her last name to Dzieciolowski when she turned 18 (her family had Americanized it earlier). But the when she got married at 28 took her husband's name. Which just seems pointless to me. But apparently his family is insanely catholic and is kind of making her jump through some hoops. Like they had to pretend that they hadn't been fuck*ng for 5 years and she had to go to some classes and shit.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2006, 06:07:10 pm »

Damn right
Camerons rule.

"Cameron" was the name of choice if one of the little del Vacas was a boy.  We momentarily toyed with "Camryn" for the littlest, once we knew we were having another girl, but decided against it.

It's a fact:  Guys named Carl are cool.  Guys named Karl are dicks.  This is ALWAYS true.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2006, 08:03:32 pm »

OK, that's several votes for a split which overcomes my aversion to meddle in the affairs of the posters.

Find the alternate topic, which splits off posts with religious content, here
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:17:03 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Do you like your first name?
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2006, 09:06:15 pm »

um, to go way way back...
Hobot-- I am trying soo hard to pronounce "bot" with a circumflexe, and it is not working.

Nor did it really work with your for-real last name. Hm.

I will ignore all the delicate subject matter of this thread and address the issue above!

Circonflexes aren't really pronounced in the first place.  They represent the removal of an "s" after the letter with a circonflexe over it from the old French.  For instance: the modern French word, l'hopital, used to be l'hospital.  Also, the rest of my surname, when changed to the original French, is spelled differently.

(I will add the accent when I get home and away from this accursed PC.)



EDIT: Moved this from the religion content thread back here where it belongs.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:12:33 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2006, 09:24:32 pm »

hm.

The fact that I spelled it wrong when I looked it up probably had something to do with it.
Sorry about that. Now I get it, mostly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2006, 02:12:03 pm »

hm.

The fact that I spelled it wrong when I looked it up probably had something to do with it.
Sorry about that. Now I get it, mostly.

Further Education.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up