Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: what's it like bein' you?  (Read 13563 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 11:41:45 pm »

Things seem to be coming up pretty well for me still without me trying as hard as I feel I should. I am cheerfully complacent but waiting for the other shoe to drop on my head.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 12:17:44 am »

It is awesome being me, except with not as much king crab and starting IVs as you would think.

Anyway, this thread was inspired by this strip. I <3 webcomics.

Dammit, Lennybruce just stuck his paw in my drink to try and giraffe out an ice cube. :(

But ya gotta have king crab and starting IVs!  Here's to sweet lumps o' king crab meat and IVs aplenty for Linnea (and nice veins to put said IVs in smoothy, with a graceful, poetic gesture).  BFF!

What's it like being me?  I agree with Linnea's sentiments, it is awesome being me.  There is lots of homebrew (and requisite prodigious beer gut).  Reading Proust.  Freaking out about my impending first teaching job this fall.  Wonderful friends and family (of course, I can't complain but sometimes I still do).  Hanging out with friends (this 4th a bunch of us went to our friends' uncle's cabin, just inside the Wyoming border as you head north from Colorado--Uncle Tom's Cabin, actually, grin).  I hate it when friends & family move away, but that's the breaks.  After all, we all gotta do our own thing, even if it means going thousands of miles away.  Hanging out with my awesome boyfriend who will just as easily discuss Greek mythology with me as Okazaki fragments.

Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 11:57:15 am »

...homebrew...Proust...Greek mythology...Okazaki fragments...

You know, I think you're going to fit in here.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 06:29:55 pm »

But ya gotta have king crab and starting IVs!  Here's to sweet lumps o' king crab meat and IVs aplenty for Linnea (and nice veins to put said IVs in smoothy, with a graceful, poetic gesture).  BFF!

What's it like being me?  I agree with Linnea's sentiments, it is awesome being me.  There is lots of homebrew (and requisite prodigious beer gut).  Reading Proust.  Freaking out about my impending first teaching job this fall.  Wonderful friends and family (of course, I can't complain but sometimes I still do).  Hanging out with friends (this 4th a bunch of us went to our friends' uncle's cabin, just inside the Wyoming border as you head north from Colorado--Uncle Tom's Cabin, actually, grin).  I hate it when friends & family move away, but that's the breaks.  After all, we all gotta do our own thing, even if it means going thousands of miles away.  Hanging out with my awesome boyfriend who will just as easily discuss Greek mythology with me as Okazaki fragments.

You had me at the beer gut  :-)

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 07:09:29 pm »

so, I really want to ask for adorable baby pictures.
but I don't want to make you feel like you, your baby, or your dog are being stalked on the internet.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 10:38:12 pm »

We demand the cuteness!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 11:58:23 pm »

It's okay sometimes.  I'm working on being able to say "It's Frik-k-k-ken AWESOME being me!"

WRONG!  The correct response was "I delight in my condition." 

As a side note, I have worked that phrase into conversation a couple of times now thanks to you.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 01:06:53 pm »

It is pretty okay bein' me.  I intern in a genetics lab three days per week, getting real and useful laboratory experience that will be a tremendous help in the long run, as I want to be a geneticist *when I grow up.*  I am leaving to go to the beach on Sunday with the SO and his family, which should be delightful.

The only downside is that a horrific thunderstorm the other day killed our Internet at home, which won't be fixed until Sunday, by which time I will be on the road to North Carolina to go to the beach (and the house in which we are staying may or may not have Internet access).  I'm gettin' the shakes and cold sweats already.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 01:19:19 pm »

It is pretty okay bein' me.  I intern in a genetics lab three days per week, getting real and useful laboratory experience that will be a tremendous help in the long run, as I want to be a geneticist *when I grow up.*  I am leaving to go to the beach on Sunday with the SO and his family, which should be delightful.

The only downside is that a horrific thunderstorm the other day killed our Internet at home, which won't be fixed until Sunday, by which time I will be on the road to North Carolina to go to the beach (and the house in which we are staying may or may not have Internet access).  I'm gettin' the shakes and cold sweats already.

Going to the beach in NC? Your family had a lame OBX sticker on their SUV for much of the 90's, didn't they?
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 01:22:58 pm »

Going to the beach in NC? Your family had a lame OBX sticker on their SUV for much of the 90's, didn't they?

Oh fuck no.  Those people can suck it.

And we do not own an SUV, thank you very much.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 02:40:46 pm »

It's pretty good being me usually. I get really neurotic sometimes, but I'm working on that. And I used to think working myself to death was a virtue, but a couple weeks ago I decided I didn't want to live like that anymore, so I submitted my resignation. In a month, I'll just be working on my masters and consulting at my job one day a week. I think if I consciously work at it, I can become a chill person,  rather than the frazzled bundle of nerves I have been.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 05:15:22 pm »

oh my shit you are going to be in NC and you didn't tell me?

sarahbarr is going to the beach too! carazey!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2006, 05:57:48 pm »

oh my shit you are going to be in NC and you didn't tell me?

sarahbarr is going to the beach too! carazey!

I am sorry, but I only just found out.  Plus, I won't really be near you.

Which beach?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2006, 05:59:56 pm »

I'm not sure!

I think her Beach Experience will consist of sneaking off to get high.

But maybe not!

I will ask. She's going to be right next-door to a great teacher of ours, who is going to teach her to surf.

I wish we went to the beach. We used to, but for some reason we stopped. Anyway, when we did, we went down to South Carolina.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 11:00:14 am »

Wild frighteningly-unforseeable tidal waves of fear of death and failure, occasionally punctuated with brief explosions of extreme arrogance and productivity, as if only to provide more striking relief to the periods of fear.

It's interesting, I'll give it that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up