Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: what's it like bein' you?  (Read 13554 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2006, 08:00:35 pm »

Lately it has sort of sucked being me, what with the surprise funeral trip and the sitting in the back of a car and the strange Midwestern relatives and all. But it's good to be back home, in more ways than one.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2006, 06:14:27 am »

That's an awesome baby Ash.  You picked a good name too, never met a Paul I didn't like.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2006, 06:20:36 am »

Congratulations to Paul and the rest of the Asherfamily!
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2006, 10:51:25 am »

Baaaaaabies! Babies Everywhere!

That's quite a cutie ya got there. Glad you've got him home where he belongs!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2006, 02:42:00 pm »

congratulations on your healthy baby. those two ladies seem to enjoy his company, also.

maybe Small Paul is "bad to the bone?"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2006, 04:00:44 pm »

Huzzah to the Little Ones abounding all around.  Best of What's What to you and yours.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2006, 05:11:57 pm »

Congratulations to you and Asherwife; that is a handsome little fellow you've got there.


If it wasn't clear, I meant that in a non-creepy way.  I just wanted to make sure you knew that, what with the thread about baby eating and all. 


But now that I think about it, offering an explanation probably makes this worse.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2006, 05:54:42 pm »

Congratulations, Asherdan.  I'm happy for you.

Oh, and on topic, it's sorta sucking a little bit right now to be me, but nothing I can't handle.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2006, 09:23:30 pm »

God dammit, I just tried to make a post and it didn't take. I hate that. Anyway, I love all the photos of people and their families but it makes me sad. I wish I had someone to share my life with, and I think that I'm finally growing up because the idea of having a family appeals to me more and more. A friend of mine adopted an awesome little girl, and it gives me hope that I can have a healthy child despite my hell of depression. So willingness to adopt is going to be a dealbreaker for me.

Anyway, the awesomeness of being me just went up a notch...I'm set up to take the next EMT-II class, which means hella intubating and running IVs! Schweet!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2006, 10:21:43 pm »

This morning I put on a clean pair of shorts and found $35 dollars in the pocket.  Whoo Hoo!!!  Tonight, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 The Sea-Quell.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2006, 12:07:45 am »

It's pretty awesome being me right now.  I am being considered for a new job at three different places, I'm losing weight and feeling better, and people are asking me to take photos for them on the side, which is a lot of fun.

I'm travelling more and getting more exercise, which keeps me healthier and makes things more interesting.

It's pretty damn good to be Jough right about now.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2006, 12:52:48 am »

Being me has taken a nose dive. I've been sick almost constantly all summer, and last week I had the surgery that was supposed to fix it, but then I got sick again on Friday. I just got back from urgent care (for the 3rd time in the last month), and I have strep and a bunch of other weird stuff. So I need to follow up with two more doctors next week. I might have some kind of kidney problem. It might be a scary incurable auto-immune disease. It might be nothing more than me regularly getting sore throats and kidney infections at the same time. But it sucks, and almost my entire summer has been ruined by this, and I don't know when I'm getting better.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I've been cheery and perky and upbeat about this for the last month, and I thought I was better, and then today when I realized I was sick again, I just lost it.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2006, 02:22:12 am »

I'm sorry you are/have been sick, Mite.  Feel better soon, nnn-kay?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2006, 02:46:26 am »

I thought this was relevant, so I'll add my sticky shameful self back into this.


Being me involves getting paid $8.60 an hour to stand at the top of a 630 Foot Tall Piece of Goddamned Metal.  Q you should totally come visit me.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: what's it like bein' you?
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2006, 03:16:37 am »

A SATURDAY IN THE LIFE

-or-

MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT WHAT IT'S LIKE BEIN' ME

Woke up about quarter to nine.  Mrs. West still not home from work/shopping.  Got up.  Let the dogs out; shoved the big tub of nasty water up next to the gate and tied the leash around the bottom so that Ginger couldn't force her way through and have an escape.

Went online for a little while.  Read TOUAMB and some other stuff.  Went back upstairs to bed to read for a little while.  Reading Snow Crash -- it's very good, but not my favorite Stephenson thus far.  Ate a couple of Pop-Tarts.  Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough or some such.  Not my favorite.

Mrs. West got home about 9:30 or so.  Helped her unload groceries, plants, charcoal and salt from the trunk of her car.  Noticed that it was already very uncomfortable to be outside in the sun.  Went to the pool and got the wheelbarrow.  Loaded four 40 pound bags of salt into it and wheeled them back up to the pool.  Had to stop before I got there for a rest.  It's very humid here -- it's been raining, every day and a lot.  Over 90.  Uncomfortable in the sun.

Put the four bags of salt into pool.  Got the mail.   Backed the truck up to the front porch where the old refrigerator was waiting to be hauled off.  Tipped and shoved it into the back of the truck.  Came back in and fiddled around online.   Ate an everything bagel from Panera Bread that Mrs. W had brought me.  Pretty good.  Fiddled around online some more.

About noon now.  Hopped into the truck and drove the old fridge to the dump.  We had to buy a new fridge last weekend because the door on the old one just would not stay shut.  It was leaking and making bad noises.  We were pretty sure it was also burning hella electricity.  So, despite the fact that we couldn't even close to afford it, we bought a new dang refrigerator.  We struggled and sweat and fought it into the kitchen and dammitall it wouldn't fit under the cabinet.  So, it's sitting next to where it should be sitting.  So that's another project -- rasing/removing the over fridge cabinet.  But that's last Saturday.

Listened to Life, the Universe and Everything on the way to the dump.  The dump's about 9 or 10 miles away.  I got LTU&E a couple of weeks ago for the family to listen to on our way to St Louis, but nobody did.  They slept, I drove.  Anyway, it was interesting to listen to because Douglas Adams was reading it himself.  He sounded different than I expected.  Not a bad reader, just different than I expected.  Incidentally, a good audiobook reader is a joy.

Came back from the dump.  Loaded 6 cans of garbage into the truck.  Had to pour rainwater out of 4 before they could be lifted.  Drove back to the dump.  Listened to more LTU&E until 1:00 pm when This American Life came on.  I'd heard it before, but it was a good one.  Passed my old bosses' secretary's house on the way to the dump.  She was in the yard walking her poodle, Tony.  I waved.  She waved.  Drove home.  Still listening to TAL, so drove a little bit out of my way to hear the end of it.

Checked on pool.  Salt was now dissolved.  Turned on saline chlorinator (it ionizes the salt in the water to chlorine).  Went and picked wild blackberries from the canes in the fencerow while it warmed up.  Got a bunch -- about 3 cups.  Several bumblebees took a buzz at me, but I wasn't stung.  Went back to check on the pool; chlorinator still showing low salt level.  Told you we'd had a lot of rain.

Fiddled around online for a little while.  Put pork chops into a ziploc bag to brine.  Changed into workout shorts.  Drove to the pool/gym.  Stopped on the way at Gallrein Farms -- picked up  a dozen ears of sweet corn and two eggplant for dinner.  They also had home made bannana soft serve.  It was delicious.

Made to FAC (pool/gym).  Swam my 20 laps.  Did ab machine and sit ups.  Left.  Drove to Lowe's.  Got 4 more bags of salt.  Got stuff require to hook up ice maker to waterline.  Headed home.  Still listening to LTU&E.

Green arrow where I usually turn left turned red just as I got there.  Didn't feel like waiting, so went straight.  Realized I'd be passing my brother's house, decided to stop.  He was working in his yard.  The storms (told you it'd been raining a lot) had knocked a big branch off one of the Bradford Pears in his front yard.  He'd been cutting it up and had already been to the dump once and had another load ready to go.  But it was 5:30 now, so the dump was closed until Wednesday.  But he started a new job on that day and was frustrated because he didn't know when he be able to get the other load to the dump.  Too bad.

Borrowed one of his pressure washers.  Surprised to learn that he has 3.  Showed me in great detail how to use it.  Also borrowed a limb saw on a long pole.  Went home the back way.  Still listening to LTU&E.

Pulled into the yard and parked by the pool.  Got the new bag of charcoal and started a fire.  Pulled bag of chops out of the fridge.  Made older daughter shuck corn and put it on too cook.  Went out and put salt into pool.

Came inside. Peeled and sliced eggplant.  Dunked in olive oil and laid on cookie sheet.  S&P + some herbs.  Put under broiler.  Checked on fire.  Not quite ready.  Drained and rinsed pork chops.  Fiddle around online for a minute.  Put pork chops on grill.  Checked on eggplant.  Turned off corn.  Mrs. W brings in about 30 gladioli that she'd picked from her garden.  Beautiful.

Turned pork chops over.  Sprinkled parm on eggplant, put back under broiler.  Went back out to grill, chatted with Mrs. W while chops finished.  Pulled chops.  Pulled eggplant.  Knocked eggplant on floor.  Salvaged half of eggplant.  Enough for me and Mrs. W, which is fine because the girls don't eat it anyhow.

Everything is delicious.  The corn is the best we've had this year.  Pork chops are flavorful and juicy -- not dry.  Eggplant is good.  We watch a Jeopardy! rerun.

Get up from couch.  Start installing waterline.  Drill a hole through floor.  Get through floor, hit rock.  (Rock???)  Drill 3 more holes.  Same result.  Rock???  Old houses can be weird sometimes.  Finally make it through floor.  Poke hose through.  Go to basement, shine flashlight into crawl space.  Cannot find hose.  Search and search and search.  Cannot find hose. 

Go back upstairs.  Try drilling more.  Drill through another layer of subfloor (???)  Poke hose through that.  Go back downstairs.  Find hose.  Use pool pole extended to full length to hook hose, pull through creepy crawl space.  Attach saddle valve.  Turn off water.  Turn on hose to drain water from pipe.  Go back downstairs.  Pierce pipe with saddle valve.  Attach hose to saddle valve. 

Go back upstairs.  Maneuver large self behind fridge.  Pull hose to full length.  Mop up water that leaks from hose with towel.  Sigh.  Struggle to move fridge from sitting position.  Struggle more.  Finally hook hose to fridge.  Go through dining room door behind fridge.  Find that other door to dining room is stuck.  Call daughter to push it so I can get out.

Go back downstairs.  Turn water back on.  Go back outside, turn hose off.

Let dogs out into their yard.  Shove big tub of water in front of gate, tie bottom with leash.

Go back inside.  Remove shirt, items from pockets.  Take off shoes and ankle brace.  Realize that ankle hurts because I've probably done too much today.  Think that ankle still hurting after 10 days is a bad sign -- either means bad sprain or aging body.

Go outside to pool where Mrs. W is waiting.  Notice chlorinator is beeping again.  Now showing too much salt.  Ask Mrs. W what the hell she did to it!  Said she may have vacuumed up some salt on the floor of pool.  Growl at her.  Turn off chlorinator.  Get in pool.

Relax.  Float.  Splash.  Throw little water frisbee/skimmer things back and forth with Mrs. W.  Float some more.  Mrs. W notices that Gus is walking around on the pool deck.  Tell him he is a bad dog for sneaking out when I put the other dogs out.   Call him over to us.  Won't come.

Mrs. W gets out.  I make her backwash the filter because she'd blocked it up with the salt and reset the chlorinator.  Goes off in search of Gus. 

Watch the chlorinator while it warms up.  Float.  Watch the bat fly overhead.  Chlorinator comes on and runs OK for a few minutes.  Float some more.

Hear booms.  Look up, see fireworks in neighbor's field.  Good fireworks.  Shells.  Relax in pool for next ten minutes while neighbor shoots 20 or so shells.  Clap.  Think this would be a good time to finally reply to that "What's it like bein' you" thread that I'd been avoiding.

Came inside.  Started typing.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 04:45:20 am by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up