Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCCA Awards  (Read 3373 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
WCCA Awards
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:00:36 am »

http://www.ccawards.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=154&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Normally I wouldn't care so much about this, but Achewood has been nominated for quite a few this year. If you can't be bothered to trawl through it to find what Onstad has been nominated for, here are the nominations Achewood's been put down for:

Outstanding Comic
Outstanding Writing
Outstanding Character Writing
Outstanding Comedic Comic

I think Achewood straight up trounces anyone else in these categories (except maybe Comedic Comic; PBF deserves that one through and through). It's a shame that Achewood only seems to have been nominated so comparatively widely this year because of the popularity afforded by the GOF. I wouldn't say it's improved dramatically through all the years it wasn't nominated (it's always deserved this level of recognition), but these awards seem to be based on popularity anyhow. It'd be great to see Onstad win an award, anyhow. He certainly deserves it.

As for everyone else, I don't have much to say except I will cry if Dinosaur Comics wins anything. I've had just about enough 'HEY GOD DO YOU LIKE LADIES' 'I LOVES THE LADIES' strips to make me seriously doubt the people who nominate it for Outstanding Writing.

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:19:53 pm »

I normally do not care about these things either but it is nice to see OoTS get some sort of recognition, I guess.

I concur about Dinosaur Comics, mostly they make me go "meh". 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:51:26 am »

http://www.ccawards.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=199

Achewood wins nothing while Ryan North gets Outstanding Writing over the consistently brilliant blogs and dialogue of Achewood? Bewildering! However, I am pretty pleased that the PBF won pretty much everything it could possibly be nominated for.

The whole WCCA malarkey and subsequently this post ain't worth the bandwidth it eats up, but hell, it ain't my bandwidth.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:27:02 am »

Achewood wouldn't want the award, man.  It would go to its head and then the strip would just sit on the sofa and eat bon-bons all day.

WE RETURN WHENEVER, BEYOTCHES

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 03:39:44 am »

I guess Ryan North would have to win for writing if he won anything at all.  I never got why he is even considered a comic since he doesn't draw anything.  It's just a very strange blog or something.  Glad to see PBF win, that's the funniest shit out there aside from Achewood.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 05:32:23 am »

oh my goodness, i did not know that Hobot Wrote Comics!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 05:40:03 am »

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 07:11:59 am »

C'mon, no love here for A Lesson Is Learned... getting the art and layout respect it so richly deserves? That strip is like crazy magic.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 07:29:47 am »

A lesson is learned is truly wonderful but serously they have not updated regularly in forever, I don't think you can really give them a yearly award when most of their stuff came out last year.

I happen to enjoy Dinosaur comics, yeah he riffs on the same stuff a lot but so does Achewood (and just about every other art form out there) and it is usually good for a chuckle.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 01:33:52 pm »

I read Dino Comics. It makes way more sense to me than Overcompensating which I'm apparently supposed to like.

If nothing else DC often has interesting links in the news section. That's how I found out about the Mario blocks harglebargle, Dr. McNinja, and xkcd.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 05:43:00 pm »

oh my goodness, i did not know that Hobot Wrote Comics!


NOOOOOOO

"no, I don't want to celebrate my birthday. It just reminds me that I'm closer to dying."
that will be me. that will be me.

http://70.86.201.113/imageserv2/temporary/PBF048BCTodayismyBirthday.html

This would be a good use of Q's "We TALKED about this!" image.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 05:57:00 pm »

wow, dang. I am sorry.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 07:21:50 pm »

I read Dino Comics. It makes way more sense to me than Overcompensating which I'm apparently supposed to like.

Yeah, I sort of agree. I need to buy the Wigu print stuff, but I've sort of been demotivated by J-Ro going increasingly inscrutable and insane in recent months. I mean, what the hell?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 07:36:39 pm »

Noooo! Overcompensating is brilliant.  Dinosaur comics has too many words.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: WCCA Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 08:24:34 pm »

Noooo! Overcompensating is brilliant.  Dinosaur comics has too many words.

http://xkcd.com/c114.html
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up