Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy 4th of July  (Read 9406 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Happy 4th of July
« on: July 04, 2006, 06:13:25 pm »

Happy Day Off, you Americans you!

(I was going to use the term "Limey Bastards" but I'll leave that to Slink or Judy)

What are you people doing today? 

Eating apple pie, playing baseball, (insert other stereotype of American life)?

Did any of you take a four day weekend?

(Canada Day was Saturday by the way, and it was excellent.  We went to a street fair, then walked around Little Italy.  I ran into a guy I went to Kindergarten with, and also my bestfriend and her husband.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 06:15:02 pm »

We are making sushi.  I swear, we were going to have hot dogs and potato salad, but they are predicting thunderstorms and it's too hot to stand outside over a grill.  We're not being deliberately un-American.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 06:34:59 pm »

unamerican!

I am going to go see Superman Returns with my only friend who is in town a good friend. We will commiserate about how our respective ladies are in Italy, and that all of our friends are out of town. Later, we will probably go to a park or something to see fireworks.

It sucks, basically. The only friends that are in town, other than this fellow, are the friends-of-friends who I would feel awkward calling up.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 06:44:09 pm »

(I was going to use the term "Limey Bastards" but I'll leave that to Slink or Judy)

I thought we were the Limey Bastards?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 08:10:25 pm »

Yeah, the English are the Limeys, Smells.

I saw Superman Returns last night which was a film basically constructed entirely of "awesome" (seriously, I was surprised by how well it was written, and how melancholy and moving much of it was) and today am making indoor barbeque fare - slow oven-cooked spare ribs, broiler hot dogs, iron skillet hamburgers, corn on the cob, baked beans, some kind of salad, and a berry smoothie for dessert.  It's not healthy food, but actually it won't be that bad for me, and I won't be eating much of it.  A hot dog, a burger, a couple of ribs.  Corn is good.  I actually found that I like the taste of corn.  I did not really realise this for years as I always put butter and salt on it, but without those condiments the corn itself is actually really sweet and delicious.

Also, due to my having cut way back (although it's nearly impossible to cut out completely since everything has it) on high-fructose corn syrup, I've found that my taste buds have gotten a lot more sensitive and that everything is more delicious now.

This weekend wasn't such a good time for eating healthily or getting proper exercise, but tomorrow I'll be back walking again and will have fresh things for dinner (low-carb whole wheat wraps full of veggies).  I did not eat big quantities of the bad things at least.  And I enjoyed them very much, but not so much that I'll want to be eating them again any time soon.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 08:20:29 pm »

To clarify, I was going to refer to myself as a limey bastard, but left it to slink and judy.  See I'm not that stupid. 

I am looking forward to the special Pop-up Royals in honour of the Queen's Jubilee on the CBC tonight.. But that's because it's hosted by Scott Thompson as the Queen, and has Corgis in it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 09:11:32 pm »

I was going to be camping and sitting on a beach in Tybee Island, but then I got sick. So I've been sitting around, taking antibiotics, and drinking gatorade. But I have been playing a lot of Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga on the GBA, so that's ok.

I'm still weak as a kitten though, and I need to have math ready to turn in tomorrow morning, followed by an afternoon of heavy lifting. It might be interesting.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 09:18:31 pm »


I am looking forward to the special Pop-up Royals in honour of the Queen's Jubilee on the CBC tonight.. But that's because it's hosted by Scott Thompson as the Queen, and has Corgis in it.

I have no idea what this is but I am despondent about not being able to see it.  The current plan is to watch "Tuesday Drama: Therapy Dog Dillon" on the Japanese channel.

If we still have electricity, that is.  We are having a raging thunderstorm and much flickering of lights at the moment.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 10:30:27 pm »

Plans: Blowin' Shit Up.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 10:54:16 pm »

I ate french fries.  Later, fireworks at the fairgrounds.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 10:59:33 pm »

The menu chez Hobot: barbeque chicken, baked beans, broccoli, devilled eggs, and these tomatoes.  I ate fake chicken and did not partake of the devilled eggs, delicious though they may be.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 02:40:12 am »

I got up early this morning and set up for our annual public safety fair. It was pretty fun. I got to talk to the kids about search and rescue, mostly (that was the booth I was assigned to, so I didn't get to do much with Fire/EMS which is my other forte). Then it RAINED all day. No chance for a bonfire. After the fair, we did the parade, which was great. I put on my fire bunkers, which are basically like a human oven mitt, and I didn't get overheated, which meant it was about 45 degress Fahrenheit outside (that is COLD for you non-American people, 32 degrees F is freezing) and colder with the rain and windchill. Thanks a lot! This is TERRIBLE Fourth of July weather!

Anyway, after the parade, I went with a friend of mine to a barbeque and had some beer. I am sad because I don't think the weather is going to hold up for fireworks. However, it is only 6:39PM here and it stays light out until 1AM, so there might be some hope yet!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 04:01:08 am »

No fireworks here because of rain, but I did make Oven Barbeque which was awesome, and I ate too much of it even though I was trying not to (I portioned out less than I'd usually eat but it was still more than I've normally been eating in the past month and was too much for me to not feel stuffed).

Then we watched Lionel Richie live from the steps of the Philly Museum of Art (PMA) but it started to rain so he pussed-out and didn't sing his final song (All Night Long).  More like Lionel Bitchie.

Anyway, a fine time.  I saw some fireworks last night behind my house (they shoot them off maybe 100m from my back door, and I can see them through the trees - lovely) before going to see the All-American Superman Returns movie.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 05:53:57 am »

Superman Returns was great. I was bouncing in my seat like a little kid. I mean this literally.

and then my friend and I retired to my basement, to play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for way too many hours. We called like 40 girls, and none of them were free to "hang out." So we ate ribs with my family, and played Oblivion more, and then drove to his house to watch fireworks-- he lives across the street from this park which I really really love. It is called Freedom Park, even!
But, unfortunately, the fireworks were already over. So I kind of stared at a patch of flowers for a while, and then drove home.

All-American!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 4th of July
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 01:15:16 pm »

We slept in, went to a book store, made stir fry, and watched Sports Night and Newsradio on DVD. We can see the DC fireworks from our couch so when those started we opened the blinds and watched for a little while.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up