Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?  (Read 12967 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« on: July 06, 2006, 05:09:46 pm »

So, I'm going to Uni in the fall. And I have to pick which language to take. i am a language freak. I have already decided that I must take at least one more Latin class. But I also want to learn a language that I can theoretically use.

However, I am only interested in wierd/difficult languages. And Arabic is, as far as I can tell, really interesting.
Have any of you ever attempted to learn it, or taken classes, or anything? Basically I am asking if it is so difficult that it breaks your mind and spirit.

although apparently it isn't as hard as Latin. Not sure where that site was getting its information.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 06:13:33 pm »

What site? 

And, I had a couple friends that took Arabic and didn't do well, but they were fuck ups, so that doesn't really tell me anything.  Sorry.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 06:18:59 pm »

It seems really counter-intuitive that it would harder for an English speaker to learn Latin than Arabic.  At least in terms of vocabulary, English has many more Latin derived words than Arabic ones.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 06:20:31 pm »

What a cool goal! For a weird and obscure language, Basque gets my vote.

For a language that may be career enhancing later, Chinese.

Arabic would be pretty challenging. Good luck.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 06:22:42 pm »

I forget what the site was. it was something about How to Learn Arabic. It may have been this site.

and the "latin is harder" comment was in reference to grammar, not vocabulary. They conceded that the vocabulary is much harder.

and yeah, Chinese is the Language to Learn. And Spanish is the Language To Learn So My Family Won't Be Disappointed In Me (not reallly, but it would make my extended family glad if I could talk to them).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 08:04:56 pm »

I doubt that Latin grammar is harder than Arabic for an English speaker.  It is a related language.  Verb forms in Arabic in particular are very different.

Somewhere, there is a chart of relative difficulty they use when they are teaching people languages in the military - they have a lot of experience of exactly how long it takes English speakers to learn foreign languages.  I can't put my hands on it right now, dammit. Maybe someone who's more alert than me right now can find it on the web.

Of course I doubt they include Latin but they probably rate the relative difficulty of Chinese and Arabic. I think Arabic would be just as career enhancing as Chinese.  But motivation is so important that I think your relative interest in the two is the most important factor.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 08:18:34 pm »

This page has the chart I was talking about at the bottom.  I can't find a more official reference, but it looks accurate as far as I remember it.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~wbaxter/howhard.html
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 08:49:52 pm »

yeah. basically I am deciding on Arabic because it is the only language that has no Tick Marks against it.
I am at a loss. I love languages sooo much. But I don't think I'll be a language major. So taking more than 2 is rediculous. Especially because I also want to take music classes, and film, and economics, and psychology, and sociology, and and and *passes out*

Basically I cannot decide which language to take. I am now Snooty from taking Latin, so the romance languages are probably out. Farsi... come on. Hebrew, not particularly useful. Neither is Russian. I have always wanted to take Japanese, but they only speak it in Japan. Chinese would probably be cool, but it scares me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 08:52:31 pm »

Chinese would probably be cool, but it scares me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Chinese not actually a language whereas it's just Cantonese or Mandarin with various (and numerous) dialects? 

I am not trying to be all Pat-like, this was just my understanding.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 08:55:19 pm »

yeah. But they're all versions of the main Tongue (if I understand correctly.)

apparently it is the same way in Arabic, but everyone also knows "Standard Arabic." The same as how it used to be in Italy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 09:39:37 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Chinese not actually a language whereas it's just Cantonese or Mandarin with various (and numerous) dialects?

Different Chinese languages are as strongly distinct as any other languages with a shared family: they have some common roots, but they are much more than dialects. Learning one makes it easier to learn the others, but the spoken languages are not intercomprehensible more than a very little bit. They do, however, share a common written language for the most part.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 09:40:58 pm »

What westerners refer to as different 'dialects' of Chinese are different languages.  They are not mutually intelligible when spoken.  However, they use the same writng system, and the Chinese writing system does not represent the pronunciation but something closer to the meaning of words.  Therefore something written by a speaker of Cantonese can be read by a speaker of Mandarin.  But if they talk to each other they won't understand each other.

This is what we tell you in introductory linguistics, anyway.  I have no personal experience of Chinese and can't comment on the details.

Arabic is a little different.  Again, the local languages that we call 'dialects' are basically different languages.  But there is another spoken language, Standard Arabic, that many educated people can speak.  This is different from Chinese where it's really the writing that everyone has in common.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 09:43:08 pm »

Right, what Ben said at the same time.

But enough about other languages.  Do you kids today really call it 'uni'?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 09:49:24 pm »

I don't even ask questions anymore...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dialects

As for Arabic. Ummmmm...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: anyone ever try to learn Arabic?
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 09:53:24 pm »

no, they don't. I just call it that because I am wierd.

Actually at some point there was a reason I started doing that, but now I forget what it was.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up